I smoked my first meal

Picked up a Traeger at Costco last Thursday along with a couple of different flavors of pellets.
Assembled it and seasoned with the intention of trying it out yesterday. I also picked up a 5 pound brisket flat at Costco.
Having no experience in the art of smoking it went pretty well. I do enjoy cooking and grilling so I used some common sense and all went well.

lwkqp2kdSw6VH5R6dbDVpQ.jpg

1) Trimmed the fat from the back side leaving a thin layer. Injected with broth and butter.

4+oG%2WxQUiYosvrBmqvkw.jpg

2) smoked for 4 hours @ 225º until internal temp reached 165º.

WzRqePhHRLG4EYb61l5xxw.jpg

3) Placed in aluminum tray poured the remainder of broth, covered and cooked another 3 hours @ 250º until internal temp reached 205º.

NzsygmvoRbOJZx68aOKIIA.jpg

4) Placed the entire sealed tray inside an insulated bag and let sit for one hour to rest.
5) Carved in 1/4" strips against the grain and served with baked sweet potato steak Frys and fresh salad.

v9%t8rO4Sgq7L+OzNLSUeg.jpg

Not bad for a novice so any advice is welcomed as I'm always willing to learn. BTW, those jalapeños where awesome:).

Happy Easter.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star

Looks pretty text book to me... Traeger is a great all around smoker/convection oven. I've been using mine for a few years now.

I tried my hand at some spare ribs. Took a total of six hours using the 3-2-1 method I found online.

u7ukxVd1SRKo+u4r3EJnCA.jpg
MXeEs6cmREqhU8YIIsf0Xg.jpg

Although tasty, I think I over cooked them slightly. The digital readout on the temp control unit might be off a bit. I didn't use the probe either so there's that. Still juicy and yummy, just wanted to fall apart coming off the grill.

Yesterday I smoked some salmon I picked up at Costco. I used dark brown sugar, Kosher salt and pepper corn to cure the the fish.
After six hours I removed the slabs and rinsed the now wet brine off the pieces. I also noticed how much the pieces of fish had firmed up and became a darker red. I let stand for about 1.5 hours to allow that sticky layer to form ( Pellicle) allowing the smoke to stick.
I used maple, hickory and cherry pellets on this smoke job and it payed off. I smoked it for 75 min with a temp of 170º. With ten minutes remaining I basted them lightly with pineapple/habanero glaze sauce and checked the thickest piece for internal temp of 150º.

I have never been a fan of grilled salmon but this turned out delicious . I'm still playing with the Traeger's temp control but I found using a .556 shell to prop open the lid provided me with a steady 170º-ish temp on smoke mode. I used three different probs to compare the temps in and around the grill. Served with baked cauliflower and sweet potato fries.

I see more salmon in my future:).

BCrcrDBsTIeV9rFIMEExkg.jpg

jS7AA3ZaSzCHIjghqjHnLA.jpg
g96JRWs4TDWCcoB8uBvLig.jpg
kkWN67+TR%m6HUmQtgUz7A.jpg
4qjBZg8qQV6FRrvuvXOPVA.jpg

Still playing with the Traeger, I tried some beer can chicken. It turned out pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself. I soaked the whole bird (5 lbs) in a saltwater brine with a touch of vinegar for about five hours. The grill was loaded with Cherry,Maple and Hickory pellets (same as for the salmon). I smoked for three hours at 350º until the inner thigh reached a temp of 170º.

Served with scalloped potatoes and fresh pinto beans. BTW, the skin was heavenly:).

Sprinkled "smokin Butt rub" and loaded in.
IMG_0941.jpg

Ready to come out and rest for five minutes. Notice how little loss of juices, I think the brine solution helps seal in the skin while still allowing the seasoning/smoke to penetrate. IDK, I'm new to this smoking game but so far so good.
IMG_0943.jpg

That leg was tasty and the skin was simply awesome.
IMG_0944.jpg

The rest of the bird will make chicken tacos with fresh pico.

Top Bottom