I really want to change the headliner design of the 60 series... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing says that your headliner has to be all one color or that the panels in the headliner cant be padded to change the overall shape. Yeah, you'll have to pay a good interior guy to sew and install it, just comes down to how much you want to pay.

I was thinking to weld in some attachment points in the grooves in the roof. You then use these to attach roof panels with a button of some kind. That way it's mostly recessed in the groove. You could also use it to hang things as well. I don't like the wasted space above the stock headliner and it all seems unnecessary to me.

Something like this, conceptual still at this point:

Last edited:
Its funny this thread came back alive. I justy today started thinking again about my own custom headliner project. My headliner was pulled back and also had old mouse houses and turds rattling around up there. Gross. Still slightly smells like mouse piss on really humid days
I already put some "tin" up there to help keep the heat down, but ultimately I'll create an all new headliner and trim pieces with a custom trimmed out rear wall. My interior is already custom in that my rear cargo area doesnt exist and was converted to a pick up. So my rear hatch is a fixed wall right behind my rear seat. No access.

I'll trim out a rear wall around the rear window and up the upper rear roof bow, then do a nice smooth two piece headliner panel with a panel that goes across the middle at the dome light on the rib. The sides will be a combo of 1/8inch board that we use at my shop to trim out the sides and then I'll leave some extra material and glue it back in place similar to how the original headliner went in. All the mounting points will be into the different bows with self tapping screws and fabric snaps with matching upholstered button covers. They are pretty snazzy. I work at a custom auto shop, so I have these items on hand. they have no problems with me using some extra.

I'll make it all out of cardboard, then transfer it to wood panels, install it, remove it, rag it, and reinstall it.. Should be a pretty involved process. I look forward to sharing
IMG_7802.jpeg
IMG_7801.jpeg

IMG_7710.jpeg

IMG_7685.jpeg

Last edited:
Its funny this thread came back alive. I justy today started thinking again about my own custom headliner project. My headliner was pulled back and also had old mouse houses and turds rattling around up there. Gross. Still slightly smells like mouse piss on really humid days
I already put some "tin" up there to help keep the heat down, but ultimately I'll create an all new headliner and trim pieces with a custom trimmed out rear wall. My interior is already custom in that my rear cargo area doesnt exist and was converted to a pick up. So my rear hatch is a fixed wall right behind my rear seat. No access.

I'll trim out a rear wall around the rear window and up the upper rear roof bow, then do a nice smooth two piece headliner panel with a panel that goes across the middle at the dome light on the rib. The sides will be a combo of 1/8inch board that we use at my shop to trim out the sides and then I'll leave some extra material and glue it back in place similar to how the original headliner went in. All the mounting points will be into the different bows with self tapping screws and fabric snaps with matching upholstered button covers. They are pretty snazzy. I work at a custom auto shop, so I have these items on hand. they have no problems with me using some extra.

I'll make it all out of cardboard, then transfer it to wood panels, install it, remove it, rag it, and reinstall it.. Should be a pretty involved process. I look forward to sharing
View attachment 3458609View attachment 3458610

View attachment 3458614

View attachment 3458615
Awesome job! I love the reflective heat block. Kinda looks like a Buick on a gambler run! 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom