Builds I noticed a lack of build threads in here. Let's have one. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a used FJ. an 07 6 speed. It needs a few minor things and has had a few things already done that I liked. It has a mystery 2 inch lift an Expedition 1 front bumper and a Warn winch that is like new. I am replacing the shocks with Bilstein 5100's since the rears leak and the fronts look old. I picked up a set of Bud Built stage 2 skids. (the original trans skid was missing) I have seen that on a few used FJ's. I serviced the trans and rear diff. Front diff has been apart at some point and the fluid looks new. I will add a picture later.

20190605_124148.jpeg

I installed a TRD exhaust this weekend.

Nice!

I found a third row seat. Debating installing vs reselling it

3rd row for an FJ? I am debating removing the second row. Most of the time it is just the dogs in the back or we take the 200 if we have passengers.

3rd row for an FJ? I am debating removing the second row. Most of the time it is just the dogs in the back or we take the 200 if we have passengers.
Yeah some Company makes it. Can be installed front or rear facing.

Local FJ owner, offered it for free.

Here are some pics/website:

EDE3276A-75FF-40C9-A9C7-0CC99E9ED3BA.jpeg

That looks unpleasant for a road trip

Ordered a few things to fix some minor issues, the side sun visors (since they did not show up until 08) and a insert for the cup holder.

I discovered the mystery lift springs are OME I think 885's. on the front. The top of the shock mount was spaced on the right side with washers and the left with a small aluminum spacer. all of this is being replaced with new mounts.

I discovered the mystery lift springs are OME I think 885's. on the front. The top of the shock mount was spaced on the right side with washers and the left with a small aluminum spacer. all of this is being replaced with new mounts.
You are replacing the shock mounts?

Pretty sure we are talking strut mounts, not shock...hence the replacement of them. :meh:

Pretty sure we are talking strut mounts, not shock...hence the replacement of them. :meh:

The upper shock mounts on mine are being replaced with new KYB parts because they were locally available I needed new rubber and discovered 3 washers per stud being used as spacers on the right side to match a spacer on the left. It had a little 1/8 inch spacer on the right top of the shock mount. I see struts as pivoting like a lot of cars use as an upper suspension mount. The upper on an FJ just mounts the shock.

OK, I think the phrase I was looking for was shock tower (what's welded to the frame). Which is why I was surprised.
Sounds like @Whiskerz is replacing the top hat bracket with the three studs in it.
FJC-Coilover.JPG
FJC-TopHat.JPG

If you call it a hat most people would look at you with strange puppy eyes. But yes those are the parts. There are a few things I have found I needed to fix and this is one of them. They did springs and not shocks.

Here is what it looks like today. I took it for a test drive around the block the new shocks are great.

20190712_200203.jpeg

I bought a 2007 6 speed with 65k miles this week , sight unseen, from the pics it looks completely stock. Mine has a brush guard but I like your bumper and I have a M8000 Warn winch in my storage.

I bought a 2007 6 speed with 65k miles this week , sight unseen, from the pics it looks completely stock. Mine has a brush guard but I like your bumper and I have a M8000 Warn winch in my storage.

The bumper is an Expedition One. I like the bumper. The filler I ordered arrived to fill the gap between the skids and the bumper. If you do not install a filler the bottom of the radiator is exposed to bad things in the woods. I need to relocated the winch controller so that I can mount lights on the bumper. It is on the list of items to handle. The truck drives much better with the Bilstein shocks.

An update, went for a ride with some of the other locals from here. I have the transfer case stuck in low. The bright side is a whole day of off road and the skids and bumper and winch all got used way more than they should have. I wheeled with 1 80 , 2 100's a 4runner, a tundra and a Land Rover yesterday. The Tundra high centered a lot. We ended up in a lot of mud these guys all forgot the name of the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom