I need new shocks(Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok i am cruisin along here..I have a 85 4wd xtracab..I need shocks..I will be doing lite off road action..And i am not going with a lift kit..I was hoping y'all could steer me to a good shock system? ..Is a bilstien heavy duty shock any good?...Any tips ?...Thank you!...C

I like the Bilstein HD shocks, but I've heard some complain that they're not "cushy" enough unless you run with weight in the truck - Old Man Emu (OME) also seem to be liked by many, but I don't have any experience with them

Thank you...I am just looking for most bang for my buck...I will just have sand bags in bed as these trucks are so light..And for the amount of off roading i will be doing...I just want a good shock...Love any tips y'all have.

I have ran bilstiens, kybs, ranchos and emus. They are all good quality shocks, but here are my impressions:

Bilstiens are great if you want a firm spritly ride that's a little stiff. Expect to air way down for comfort on the trail.

KYBs are almost as firm as Bilstiens, with a very good fire roading ride, but a bit more comfortable. They look kind of spindly, but I actually liked them better than the bilstiens.

Ranchos are a good all around shock. I am running the adjustables on my current trail rig. I kind of like adjustables since you can tune your ride, but I don't think you need them if you can get the right valving in the first place...

Which leaves us to the Old Man Emus: I had them on a '95 4runner with 33s, emu springs and downey torsion bars. These things are awesome! Valved per application and spring rate. Absolutley the best shocks I've ever had! Total dead butt stuck to the road suspension feel. They look a little boring with no boots and just a metal dust cover (kind of look like a monroe) but I think the design is better for keeping the shaft from rock chip damage. The only draw back is that they are only available for very conservative stockish 1-2 inch lift ride height and they are best when ran with emu springs, which cost alot.

If you are running stock or low lift, get the Emus.

One shock I want to try on a build is the black shocks with the rooster on them from Poly Performance. Don't know the brand but I think they are valved correctly and can be bought in really lond lengths.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Ok sweet info...keep it comin guys!..I am running a stock truck...nothing fancy...So as far as valving..size all that i am not sure what to buy?..I am learning and want to keep cost down to maybe 70.00 a shock or so?(wholesale)...Thank you for input!...C

I've had Bilsteins on mine for 7 years of typical duse: 96% rough L.A. streets and 4% dirt roads, including hundreds of miles of washboard; one out of the four leaked a little(after 7 years) so I replaced it. The dealer gave me credit towards something else. They haven't faded or changed. I'd buy them again, but the OMEs are intriguing.

Yeah, one thing about the Bilstiens is that they tend to last longer than the truck...

I can take the bottom bolt out of a Rancho then grab the shock and snap the rod right into...............the new ones are weak as hell.

Bilsteins are the best off road I think yes they ride a a little stiffer than the OME's

OME's are a fine shock they have a softer ride on road but do just a s well off but they are not for the rock crawler beast in my opinion.

One thing you need to consider if you ever are going to lift the truck anytime soon?

If you plan to go with a lift in the next year or two..............just get whatever. When you lift a truck the shock needs to be longer hence the travel of the suspension. If you have a daily driver and plan on keeping it that way for some time then get the OME's
Ok sweet info...keep it coming guys!..I am running a stock truck...nothing fancy...So as far as valving..size all that i am not sure what to buy?..I am learning and want to keep cost down to maybe 70.00 a shock or so?(wholesale)...Thank you for input!...C

Ok sweet info...keep it comin guys!..I am running a stock truck...nothing fancy...So as far as valving..size all that i am not sure what to buy?..I am learning and want to keep cost down to maybe 70.00 a shock or so?(wholesale)...Thank you for input!...C

Then just buy Toyota OEM or cough up the dough for OME. OEM toyota for an '85 4x4 are cheap. What you save you can spend on other gear like a high lift jack, recovery strap or two and some shackles, no hooks please.

Order from cruiserdan. Ask for Dan. Have your VIN number handy.

http://www.americantoyota.com/index.htm

After I get my engine rebuilt I'm switching the shocks to OME Nitro chargers and doing a moderate 1.5" lift. Note, I have 253k miles on my OEM shocks and they are finally dead. I let the truck sit for a couple years and they died shortly after starting to use the truck again. I think the only thing that kills Toyota shocks is letting the piston shaft rust from lack of use and abuse. I'm convinced they need to be exercised to full travel at least monthly.:lol:

Another low cost option would be Monroes (who builds the shocks fpr OME according to OME specs). I put a set on my 83 when I did the 4" lift. Not sure what truck they are actually for as I used Monroes specs to find ones that matched the length and mount type, but they work well enough for me. And the price was right, as Monroe was having a buy 3, get the 4th free. Total cost was around $100 for all four.

I just removed my front shocks after 45k miles. They were shot.

I put on Monroe flex's. Found them on ebay 2 for 43.00 shipped. They were 44.00 a piece at Nappa.

Night and day difference ( :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom