I NEED a MUFF! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Muffler..that is :D

I got a flowmaster installed a few months ago. It is great..but..... :( I have decided It is too loud for me. It is ok for putzing around town..but, long trips it gives me a headache.

So, can anyone reccomend a good muffler that isnt too restrictive, is quiet, is inexpensive, and is easy to get (ie local shop, etc).

I dont want to get a OEM Oil Drum muffler..i want to go aftermarket.

thanks,
joe m

Maybe need a resonator in series with the muffler. Resonator should help with the booming exhaust.

if you decide to get rid of the flow master let me know, i might be interested. :cheers:

Where does the tail pipe exit and at what angle?

When I re-located the tail pipe on my Borla, the exhaust tone in the cabin changed quite a bit. You may want to experiment with the tail pipe a bit first.

D-

cdan-

Can you expand upon what you did or post a picture of the change. I'm almost ready to put the stock exhaust back on now that it's cold weather and keep the windows closed.

Phil

FlowPro behind a true dual 3" manifold back exhaust...

oh wait...that's what's behind my GMC 6.0....lol

Which Flowmaster series??

anyone have borla exhaust? and do u see any performance increase from it? thanks. id take input on the 80 or 100 equiped with the borla exhaust

I have a Flowmaster too. It's loud!! I'm not sure on what series though.

Also, Gibson is pretty good. Not as loud as I wanted it to be but smooth. Also, I want a Borla system on my Cruiser someday....

When I read
I need a muff
I thought you were talking about your momma again. :flipoff2:

How about running straight pipes? :flipoff2:

Seriously, check out what Cdan was saying. I've been f'ing around with mine, getting it up above the frame and every time I make an adjustment to it the tone changes.

How am I supposed to bend the pipes w/out bringing it into a shop? I dont have a mendrel bender in my shop (Aka Apartment! :D).

My father used to screw around with hot rods in the 50's..and he told me to just shove a bunch of steel wool inside the pipe! :D haha..good ole dad. I laugh at the thought of going to Stop n Shop and buying 4 boxes of S.O.S. pads for "exhaust tuning". :D

[glow=red,2,300]Junker..[/glow]
brake pads went no prob! :D very easy..one rear pad had less than a milimeter of material left. Thanks for the tips.

a cheaper way of getting rid of unwanted sound in the car might be to add insulation. I've got the 50 series delta flowmaster and its a bit on the annoying side for highway travel, but I am going to add sound deading material though out the enitre car. $140.00 for 100 sq. ft. of it. www.bquiet.com
Just an idea.

-Bryan

glad the brakes went ok. :cheers:

Bryan - after I submerged my truck 1-1/2 yr ago, I got some extra jute that was left over from a car resto place. Cost was like $10 for enough for the whole truck plus another 80 series. Check it out. You could just put more in if you wanted to. I ended up cutting all my carpets into sections so that next time I need to take it out I can take out the whole floor without removing the seats or consoles. :banana: :flipoff2: :D

Don't know if anyone here has tried it, but I was thinking of splitting the exhaust just after the cat and going into 2 Flowmasters (3 inch), then out the back with two 3 inch pipes. That outta cut the noise considerably, and still allow for good flow. And with the ENORMOUS size of the factory can, I think you could stand 2 Flowmasters side by side and still have something smaller and "wheelable" in the exh space.

[glow=red,2,300]Shortbus[/glow]
First off..hands down you have the BEST AVATAR out there! Where did you get it? Everytime i read your posts..all i see is BLAH BLAH BLAH..and i keep staring at the Bouncing Ta-Ta's :D
Kudos!

Regarding my exhaust.
I went with 1 high flow cat...to 1 Flowmaster muff...to 2 tail pipes.
see pics of when i just got it below.

LinkPhoto

At the time (And currently) i like the dual look..but, i must admit that i am hoping to put a new rear kaymar on within the year...so, i will prob have to rethink (and have rebent) my dual exhaust :-\

Joe,
Don't be too concerned about having those rebent. The first time you take it off road they'll get "rebent."

:D

-B-

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=8364;start=msg71318#msg71318 date=1070580842]
[glow=red,2,300]Shortbus[/glow]
First off..hands down you have the BEST AVATAR out there! Where did you get it? Everytime i read your posts..all i see is BLAH BLAH BLAH..and i keep staring at the Bouncing Ta-Ta's :D
Kudos!

Regarding my exhaust.
I went with 1 high flow cat...to 1 Flowmaster muff...to 2 tail pipes.
see pics of when i just got it below.
[/quote]

Thanks for the props on Miss Jugs. Can't remember where I found that one. I've got a couple hundred avatar pix laying around from my previous forum. But, after putting that one up, I just can't get myself to change it. I like watching the "motion" as well. ;)

In ref to your exhaust, Beowulf is right about the tips. If you plan to wheel, you'll have pretzels in no time. You just might wanna tuck those babies in. For street, they're great. I'm still thinking that splitting the exhaust "post cat" and running it thru a pair of Flowmasters would flow and sound great without the excessive noise. Of course, adding a resonator would help too.

Dynomax makes decent mufflers. They're a straight thru design but sounds a lot quieter...at least on my 5.0 anyway. We used to call the Flowmaster mufflers "droanmaster" due to the sound they made around ~2,000 rpm !

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom