I need a little motivation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, It has been a while since I posted on the forums here because it has been a while since I have run the cruiser at all.

I have a 1975 fj40 that is all stock except for minitruck front outers and a chevy rear disc conversion.

In '06 the clutch went and I was at a bit of a hectic stage in my life so I parked it in the garage and went about my life. Well, in the mean time, apparently the rust demons were at work and some of the old bubbles grew, etc. The tub is still very decent and repairable though. Front fenders are ok too, just some rust where the support meets the outside edge. Hard top sides are a little wors. It apparently was sitting in a moist corner and the bottoms are a little rusty in some places. That damn hardtop has seriously been the biggest headache with that vehicle. I swear I would never put it on if I lived in the SW.

Today, I changed the oil and put fresh gas in the tank and (after replacing the choke cable) she fired right up. The problem is it still needs that clutch. I have done clutches on other cars before and I am wondering if anyone has any advice or tricks for the Fj40.

It also would seem that many of the other bits and pieces have fallen into disrepair in the meantime. Things like the wash/wipe, fan etc. are acting up. Also, the D-side rocker is a little soft - totally news to me. It is a little overwhelming. I guess i just need a pep talk.

Ultimately I would like to do a full restoration/restification, but in the mean time I want to enjoy this thing some more.

Howdy! Welcome back. Are you sure it is the clutch that is bad? Often times the hydralic master/slave go bad. This results in not being able to release the clutch when you push the pedal. Maybe you'll luck out, as this is a cheap and easy fix. John

it is definitely the clutch. It slips when I accelerate. I wish it was the slave since that is easy. Either way I dont think it is too difficult. Just dealing with the million pound transmission transfer combination.

it is definitely the clutch. It slips when I accelerate. I wish it was the slave since that is easy. Either way I dont think it is too difficult. Just dealing with the million pound transmission transfer combination.
So much for luck. The good news is that you can either support the tranny/trans with a jack from the bottom, or you can pull the tunnel roll an engine picker in to support it from the top. Otherwise, it is a fairly straight forward clutch job. John

I put a clutch in mine recently....I found out the hard way......go buy a pilot bearing puller....packing grease and other stuff to try to push it out is bad news.....I had it out with the puller in 5 minutes...
Good luck on getting it going again......

thanks for the tip on the pilot puller. Also, the idea of using a cherry picker to support from the top sounds great, and U will get to pull the tunnel to do a little rehab on the floor.

I once crushed my finger between an engine and trans, so hopefully I can avoid doing that again...

thanks for the tip on the pilot puller. Also, the idea of using a cherry picker to support from the top sounds great, and U will get to pull the tunnel to do a little rehab on the floor.

I once crushed my finger between an engine and trans, so hopefully I can avoid doing that again...
If your going to:crybaby: crush a finger again, do the same one on the other hand:idea: so you'll have a matching set.:whoops: Nobody will even notice!! :grinpimp: Good Luck. :beer::popcorn: John:wrench:

It really isnt that bad...i just did a tranny swap and did a clutch job while i was in there...i attacked it from the bottom with a floor jack with some help from a friend... toughest part i think is lining it up,getting it to mate with the bell housing,however i thing the easier way to do it is from the top with an engine hoist,which i dont have.
Before you tear down make sure your pedal adjustment is correct.....maybe your clutch isnt totally disengaging? you should at least have an inch of free play on the pedal. Good luck!

It really isnt that bad...i just did a tranny swap and did a clutch job while i was in there...i attacked it from the bottom with a floor jack with some help from a friend... toughest part i think is lining it up,getting it to mate with the bell housing,however i thing the easier way to do it is from the top with an engine hoist,which i dont have.
Before you tear down make sure your pedal adjustment is correct.....maybe your clutch isnt totally disengaging? you should at least have an inch of free play on the pedal. Good luck!

You said it "Get a freind to help"
While your at it enjoy doing it. drink beer when it's done( In moderation:beer:) Drive the rig have a blast and then find another one to drive while you do the resto (This might not be good advice but mine is falling apart because I can't stop driving it):steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom