I MIGHT be buying an LJ78... but I'm a noob and need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my experience with these trucks, I'd say forget that vehicle ever existed. With an old diesel cruiser, usually the purchase price is just the beginning of a long list of expenditures. Example, I paid $3500 CAD for mine. Within the first three years I'd put another $10,000 into it. I'm impulsive with my vehicle purchases too, and a few time's I've regretted my decisions. Wish I'd just been less cheap and bought something better. I know it's tough when you get that diesel itch. It's like finding a wife, you gotta get the right one. Don't compromise unless you can afford heart ache and financial loss.

Probably the best advice you'll receive all day.

Thanks to your very generous sharing of your knowledge and opinion, in addition to others, I have decided not to do the deal and will hang onto my 80 for the time being. You're right, I do have the diesel itch right now, but I need to be smart and wait for the right one to come along.

Thanks to everyone that commented and shared advice. I feel like I dodged a major bullet. If his pulley hadn't gone out on the way to meeting me, I'd have this vehicle.

**Also**
I was able to get in touch with the seller from the original seller ( This Guy For Sale - 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado LJ78 4x4 RHD) and he was AWESOME. He called me from Canada and spoke with me for 20+ minutes about the LJ when he owned it and gave me great advice about LJ's in general. He told me many things mentioned above in terms of advice as well and further solidified that it's good to stay away. He said that he had major electrical problems with it and even tried replacing the ECU harness and that didn't fix it. He said that he's almost certain it's probably having the same issues still and that's why it's crossed so many hands. He said that it probably needs a completely new ECU and motor at this point due to all of the abuse the electrical issues did to it.

What're your thoughts on why I shouldn't do it? I know it's probably obvious, but I'm just trying to pick your brain a little further since you're an experienced LC owner :)

You have owners claiming to have done work which was actually done by someone else. There is the rust that has been "fixed". It has had head problems that were not fixed properly the first time. Then there is the mileage which you questioned yourself. The guy buys and sells cars all the time, he sounds like a flipper. People like him know how to hook people and what they can get away with. He has patience like all fisherman, because flippers know it pays off.
Anyone of these things would not necessarily put me off, but all them together is a worry.
Its just seems its a car of despair, it hasn't been looked after, nothing seems to go right. Like the bolt that was rounded off on the pulley.
This LJ78 has had more headaches than all of my 4 landcruisers put together.
Play the long game and wait for something decent, you still have the money in your pocket.

So I actually traded my 60 series for the lj78 you’ve been speaking about. It’s not perfect, but pretty darn clean. The entire engine harness was replaced and it runs like a top. Haven’t done anything to it yet, and have been driving it too and from work for the past few weeks. It does have a iffy past but I will be sorting those all out in time ;)

Good luck with it. I hope the price was low.

So I actually traded my 60 series for the lj78 you’ve been speaking about. It’s not perfect, but pretty darn clean. The entire engine harness was replaced and it runs like a top. Haven’t done anything to it yet, and have been driving it too and from work for the past few weeks. It does have a iffy past but I will be sorting those all out in time ;)

Good luck with the LJ! It was definitely a very clean vehicle. I just couldn't justify the past and the fact that I probably couldn't afford the upkeep. Did you do a straight across trade? If you don't mind my asking.

It was a straight across trade. The 60 needed some work. I already have a triple locked fzj80, as well as a fj40. The 60 was fun but very rough driving. Love this little 78. So far I haven’t found anything that the previous owner didn’t already tell me about. His representation of the truck has been spot on so far. The engine harness took care of all the electrical gremlins. Now it’s just some small stuff that I can do as I enjoy driving it. First thing is bigger exhaust. She needs to breath! I’m very sorry the deal did not work out for you. But more and more of these trucks should start to pop up here in the US :)

It was a straight across trade. The 60 needed some work. I already have a triple locked fzj80, as well as a fj40. The 60 was fun but very rough driving. Love this little 78. So far I haven’t found anything that the previous owner didn’t already tell me about. His representation of the truck has been spot on so far. The engine harness took care of all the electrical gremlins. Now it’s just some small stuff that I can do as I enjoy driving it. First thing is bigger exhaust. She needs to breath! I’m very sorry the deal did not work out for you. But more and more of these trucks should start to pop up here in the US :)

I'm happy to hear that! I'm hoping that this post helped give you some insight to the past and also helped get you a good deal. We originally were going to do a trade of my 96 LX450 (not locked but in great shape) for his LJ with $3000 on top, so I'm happy to know that you were able to get a good trade out of it.

All in all, I'm happy that I kept my 80, but I really do love the look of the 78. I'm excited to see how things go for you with it!

I took it out last week for a little shake down run. It did very well for being stock. Needs suspension for sure tho! He wanted my 80, but I couldn’t part with it. Very glad it all worked out!

BAC7A33C-194C-4401-B205-74056E9CF7CA.jpeg

C0BF4CE3-ADDF-4AD3-8588-950583ABC419.jpeg

22C1A352-D836-402C-BFC4-C8D9E65B0AB3.jpeg

I took it out last week for a little shake down run. It did very well for being stock. Needs suspension for sure tho! He wanted my 80, but I couldn’t part with it. Very glad it all worked out!

Very impressive! I'm happy you have it and are getting use of it! I'm starting to feel bummed I missed out on it but I'm glad you're getting good use out of it. It would have ended up being primarily my daily driver so I'm glad you're giving it the life it deserves!

Did you find this post before or after you purchased it?

I’m sorry you missed out on it :/ I’m kinda glad I didn’t see this post, I probably wouldn’t have done the trade if I had. But very happy I did get it! Plan is Dobinson 60/65 mm lift with 33’s on factory black steel rims and 3” turbo back exhaust. Down the road ill do more little goodies.

I’m sorry you missed out on it :/ I’m kinda glad I didn’t see this post, I probably wouldn’t have done the trade if I had. But very happy I did get it! Plan is Dobinson 60/65 mm lift with 33’s on factory black steel rims and 3” turbo back exhaust. Down the road ill do more little goodies.

I'm just glad it turned out to be a good deal for you so I'm glad you didn't see this post either!

That sounds awesome, you'll have to post photos of your progress!

Hello,

The Dobinsons kit is the best upgrade for these trucks.

I might state the obvious here, but be careful to allow the turbo to cool down for a few minutes after sustained high rpm/high speed driving.

Please check the threads on improving the 2L-TE engine's reliability.

Juan

Hello,

The Dobinsons kit is the best upgrade for these trucks.

I might state the obvious here, but be careful to allow the turbo to cool down for a few minutes after sustained high rpm/high speed driving.

Please check the threads on improving the 2L-TE engine's reliability.

Juan

I don’t mean to butt in on this. But wanted to make sure that I mentioned that I called Cruiser Corps in OKC and they verified that the 3L head replavement service had been completed. I talked to the guy on the phone that did the work and he confirmed that it was done.

Thank you! Yes when I pull into the driveway I always let the engine run til the egt temp is down too 350 or so. Yes I spoke with cruiser corps as well and verified the 3l Head was done :) but thank you so much! Despite the iffy history of this truck, it’s turning out to be pretty damn clean and runs like a top!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom