I just bought a BJ60, Any friendly tips, advice, etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will pick up my bj60 in a few days and am very excited. I need to start pulling together resources for diesel related parts, etc. All and any advice relating to tuning, parts, etc gratefully accepted. This site rocks!

You'll want to get a pyrometer even if you don't turbo it right away. The 3B heads crack easily. If you are in cold climates give it time to preheat and your life will be easier.

search in this forum. read read read.

congrates on purchase.

best place to install the pyrometer? Downpipe? Ex manifold? Exhaust? Thanks! It sounds like a large exhaust (2.5 to 3') is the way to go. If the exhaust is really old on this cruiser, the exhaust will be my first mod

warmblood58 said:
best place to install the pyrometer? Downpipe? Ex manifold? Exhaust? Thanks! It sounds like a large exhaust (2.5 to 3') is the way to go. If the exhaust is really old on this cruiser, the exhaust will be my first mod

Others may disagree but I'd put it as close to the exhaust ports on the head as possible but still in the manifold.

I would go just onto the exhaust pipe after the manifold. Use a clamp on probe. Autometer sells those.

Its still as close to the outlet as can be with out drilling tapping into the manifold. And since you are sin turbo it won't have and drop in temp yet there.

3" exhaust will definately help keep the EGTs lower.

Where to get a pyrometer for these engines?

I had a vdo pyrometer for my vw many years ago. It was expensive. When is it nessesary to read it? climbing hills in the summer or both summer and winter?

Isspro are from what i've herd the best gauges, spending the extra money on gauges is worth it, isspro's are often used in tractors and transport trucks OEM

I would also recommend gauges... I wish i'd put some on earlier.

I ran the autometer silver. For the pyro I just used the band and put it in the down pipe. Much easier to do than drilling and tapping the cast manifold. I figured I'd be turboing it sooner rather than later. I also installed a Temp guage as the stock one won't move with fluctuations of more than 10*F....

Congrats on the purchase :D

i have not installed into the pipe for quite some time, the proper tap is $20 and place just before the coupler. on a turbo i put it right behind hte blades of the turbo for as close a reading as i can get...
i have had good luck (lately) with the autometer pyro...
enlarge the exhaust
do a complete tune up and do a compression test if it has not already been done...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom