I Have Questions for all 3B Owners (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You get it!

Yea they reason why i went with the 3B is because I’m poor and 17.

If I had money I would drop in a 1HZ, but I don’t.

That being said the 3B swap was definitely worth it for the budget I have.
You’re 17 and did this?? Good for you, that’s awesome.

You’re 17 and did this?? Good for you, that’s awesome.

Yep did it on my parents driveway - we don’t have a shop - has to buy a bunch of tools.

I figured if I wanted a diesel 60 bad enough I would have to build one on my own.

I wouldn’t not do it again unless I had a big shop to work in.

D500752C-2782-42C6-BE20-5425A7F1064C.jpeg

D1E44090-2D41-43BA-839A-D615C2C13C47.jpeg

Good work man, what you’re doing at 17 I would have never imagined doing. I’m 20 now but blew up my 3B out of a mix of ignorance and just assuming “ehhhh it’s a Toyota it’ll take 12-15psi” I’m assuming u will turbo it at some point, I will just warn one last time do ur research. I turbo’d mine when I was 17 and it took me across all of America and then some for another year until the crank blew. As people have mentioned you’re perfectly set up for a 13, 14, or 15BT swap way later down the road when you have more funds. In the mean time enjoy it and don’t overdo it. I’m also way too familiar with the feeling of being young/broke and thus being limited in the choices I can make and also not having the proper tools to do the job. Congrats and keep up the great work

Nice job B.! Next time you are in the lower mainland you really should stop by and you can drive my turboed 3B in my '42 and check out the 3BII in my 60. Yes, the 3BII is just as slow as the 3B so far, but I haven't fully fixed/tuned it yet. Needs a compression test and need to learn more about the rotary pump that is on it.

Driving a 3B is like driving a semi-truck; you don't accelerate but gather speed and hills are slow, but like you say, who cares! :) :beer:

driving a toyota diesel is a unique driving experience that does take some getting used to, but it is a enjoyable experience as things slow down a bit and you feel a part of the vehicle and your surroundings more. The rumble reminds me of being on the big ferries from victoria to vancouver when i was a kid, it almost lulls you into relaxation as you watch the scenery go by.

Love my 3b powered BJ44! with turbo, of course.

hey @Gimme a 60, awesome read!

I'm glad you took your own path and created what you wanted instead of being bogged down by a lot of other peoples negative opinions of the 3B. As you know I bought one recently too. Its slow (but will easily do highway speed, unlike many people assumed), and gets me where I need to go. Plus the feeling of driving a "tractor" through a city always has me smiling.

I am curious on some of your maintenance for your 3B and if you have any issues with cold starts? I often have to turn mine over quite a bit to get it to fire up in the cold (below freezing) even with 2 cycles of glow plugs. Then a lot of white smoke comes out before it all clears up shortly after starting. (assuming fuel)

Would love to hear what you do to keep your 3B alive and well.

Keep on creating your own path brother.

I'm glad you took your own path and created what you wanted instead of being bogged down by a lot of other peoples negative opinions of the 3B. As you know I bought one recently too. Its slow (but will easily do highway speed, unlike many people assumed), and gets me where I need to go. Plus the feeling of driving a "tractor" through a city always has me smiling.

I am curious on some of your maintenance for your 3B and if you have any issues with cold starts? I often have to turn mine over quite a bit to get it to fire up in the cold (below freezing) even with 2 cycles of glow plugs. Then a lot of white smoke comes out before it all clears up shortly after starting. (assuming fuel)

Awesome!

Yea, since this post I have put many more KM on the 3B, and it’s been great, I have driven many of my longest trips I have even gone on by myself with the BJ62.

The old diesel doesn’t need much, I usually put on good quality Baldwin Oil/fuel filters - these are great for heavy duty vehicles, and I run Shell Rotella 15-40. I believe the key to keep the 3B running well, is watching the temperature gauge, and treating her nice - as with any car I drive, I usually glance over in my mirror at my exhaust just to make sure there is no irregularly smoke or anything like that.

Other than that I usually change my oil on time or early - diesels like to get soot in the oil, That’s really it.

On the note of glow plugs, yes, mine has a hard time cold starting - i believe it has to do with the glow plugs - you should hear several relays pop, and the voltmeter should be showing load.

It’s also good to check at the connection from the bus bar to the glow plug relay your voltage. Should he 12 volts I think.

Whenever I manually glow my truck it fires right up, I’ll be installing a manual switch, glow plug timers like to go haywire.

white smoke is air in your diesel lines, this lead to terrible starts and running issues
you will need to track down the source, the primer pump is the main culprit
best thing to do is use a section of clear line in place of the black rubber diesel lines to see if the air is pre or post primer pump
this gives 3b owners the most grief
best thing to do with glows is swap to a manual 'wilson' switch for the glow activation, you choose glow duration

both these issues lead to bad starts but, do both of these things and you will be in diesel start heaven

15W40 is too thick for winter use. I use 5W40.

Mine 3B starts quite easily without glowing even in freezing temperature (-5°C). But it’s quite low mileage engine (176 tkm/110 tml).

15W40 is too thick for winter use. I use 5W40.

Mine 3B starts quite easily without glowing even in freezing temperature (-5°C). But it’s quite low mileage engine (176 tkm/110 tml).

Strange. Mine only has 110,000km on it original.

It all depends on what you want from the engine. We have been driving around the world now since 2003 and our 3B engine has never let us down. The most reliable part of the whole truck is the engine.

I glow mine until bright. Then it starts easily. If I give it gas it starts smoking. If I let it idle for a few minutes before driving or pushing on the gas pedal, I don’t see much smoke at all.

hey @Gimme a 60
During colder periods, make sure your oil is thin enough and that all 4 glowplugs are indeed working. Check continuity with a multi meter.

We had -40C in Siberia and we had trouble starting. Then we found 2 dead glowplugs and the oil a bit too thick. I made a small video about that. I will drop it below.
Adventurous greetings, Coen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom