I don't mean to honk my own horn but, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yomama.net
All the hundreds of posts on this forum and nobody has mentioned (that I recall Junk :slap:) that fact that the weakest component on the LC is the horn :'(. Seriously I drove by my neighbors house and tooted my horn, then hung my head in shame. Is that my horn ??? sounds like a compact vehicle, not a huge, awesome off roading wonder. So, I found a couple old horns laying around and added them in. I wired it so as the extra two horns will only sound when the ign is on. No need to have the extra horns going off when someone opens the door when you forgot to arm the alarm with the remote (that auto lock thing can be embarrassing and sometimes funny, but that is loud enough).
Still not happy with the volume of the four horns, so will probably get some air horns and replace the "car" type ones I added this weekend. Also wiring it so it only toots when the ign is on saves on my ears when my two year old (future LC man) is in there honking the horn....

Yomama

hella makes a decent set of air horns and electric replacement horns. A friend of mine had the electric on his minitruck and were much louder than stock, however they still have that european sound to them. :D

JC Whitney has an Ocean Liner horn :eek: For a big boat such as the Cruiser, that might just be the ticket :eek:

Yomama

yo Yo: I agree...much to 'compact' sounding. I replaced the OEM horns with the Hella Twin Supertone Horns..they're louder, a little (but not much) deeper tone, and best of all RED!

If you get a chance, listen to the '02 4Runner horns...:) nicer. beefier. less importy..

I got the $69 hella horns that are red, they are sweet. Not a much deeper sound but much more piercing sound. Much better than the stock tercel horn. The hellas scare the hell of people that do stupid sh&t in front of the 6000lb 100 series! This is much needed mod on every 80 & 100 series.

uzj100

I replaced mines with Fiam 130dB low tone (cheap & straight replacements) - worlds different from stocks.

Frank.

Frank , any details such as part # .. web pages etc ?

Thanx ,

Tyler - *Wondering if they'd notice if I took one of the squawk boxes out of the ambulance :p *

I'm happy for you Mike ... maybe now you'll be able to afford more Beano™ . It's going to take at least a few cases to bring you up to a therapeutic level :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Tyler

I (or I should say a friend who has electrical smarts) put on the Hella Supertones recently ($40 on ebay). Not only were they a bit of a wiring pain with the relay, but I wasn't too impressed with their sound. They are definitely loud, but high pitched (think BMW). More impressive were the cheap FIAMM (Napa) "Freeway Blasters" I had on my 60, one Hi and one Lo, very loud, very deep, more like a truck.

I'd look at American trucks in any junk yard. IIRC Suburban and Blazer horns are looouddd.

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=5540;start=msg43919#msg43919 date=1064279818]
I'm happy for you Mike ... maybe now you'll be able to afford more Beano™ . It's going to take at least a few cases to bring you up to a therapeutic level :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Tyler
[/quote]

Hey man, I go in for another round on Friday. I'll take anything I can get. :flipoff2: :D

hmm this is interesting. I might be ready to try this again. I
once wired 7 assorted horns from a parts bin into an austin 1100 that I was delivering parts in. They worked great until the wires melted and set the engine bay on fire.

Reminds me of, back in the day, when I ran 'dual' horns on my Sumbeam Tiger......the 'stock' horns for City driving, and Bosch air horns for 'highway'. Selectable with a simple SPDT toggle switch.......

.........hmmmm.......may resurrect that concept....it just HAS to improve off-road performance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom