I don't give a flip 25 build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Realized I bolted this up with the FJ25 bellhousing. Gave me a chance to pull the rear seal (I love it when they shatter into small pieces when you pull 'em out ............. that's how you can tell they're original) surface the flywheel and spraybomb the back of the motor and bellhousing black.

Anyone need a FJ25 bellhousing? I already have a spare. :rolleyes:

The pink tranny is back! :bounce: Albeit a bit rusty from sitting in the shed for a little while................

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

So this is why I relocated the crossmember and rotated the pinion on the rear:

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

I guess I'm committed to doing a hybrid from a centered rear axle now. Wanted the centered 30 spline, had the centered housing, had the u bolt flip kit so I needed the bigger axle at the perch. Basically swapping the outer ends, stuffing the mini axles in the centered housing, hopefully get that back together this weekend.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

I'm confused Jim, why the hybrid?

I bought all that hype about the 10 spline being weak............ ;) If it were stock I'd just use the centered 40 or 25 axle, but I think the 30 spline is really a necessity here with a larger tire and the SM420. The transfer is centered and very high, the driveshaft will be very short with the cv, and I don't think it would handle an offset axle combined with the height difference.

112505 (5).JPG

Is this going to see any use at speed, road time, or is this strictly an off road vehicle?

What is your current pinion angle?

That outer pinion bearing needs to be in oil or it will die a very quick death.

It is rather high isn't it and I had the same concern. :confused: What do you think the max angle should be? I'll wait to get some weight on it before messing around with it again. Can't even remember what the setup was when the perches were done.

It is rather high isn't it and I had the same concern. :confused: What do you think the max angle should be? I'll wait to get some weight on it before messing around with it again. Can't even remember what the setup was when the perches were done.

i raise my fill plug when i tip the pinion for a higher oil capacity. i figure the higher level has to help get the fluid where it needs to go

of course, i'm just winging it, so don't know if that's the thing to do

20141226_140311.jpg
20141226_140207.jpg
Damn, it's easier to store the body on the frame than the middle of the shop.:hillbilly:

Nick, you are a funny man. This year, this year.

Some how, not feeling all that bad that mine isn't on the road yet ;)

:deadhorse:
The only project on the list without a schedule.

Literally have not touched this since it rolled back into the garage....a while ago. Had the garage warm, so dug into the motor to regasket. Found this "shim" on the valve train.........who would want to reinforce the rocker tower? Must be a shim for some reason............:worms:

20170102_152932.jpg

So just how does someone break not one, but the two, center rocker shaft towers? Really, I can't think how you can break just the center tower. Attempt to lift the motor with them maybe? :doh:

rocker2.jpg
rocker3.jpg

Were your towers broken as well? I've bent plenty of pushrods but can't picture anything that would break that piece except a faulty installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom