I could use some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fluid Film does have a wonderful clingy property where it hangs onto the metal and saturates any surface rust underneath it. It's neat stuff, it's just not the only stuff, and it's pretty expensive.

At some point, rustproofing is nothing more than a greasy layer on top of steel to firmly displace any water molecules from getting to the steel. Any ol' grease will work in the big picture.

Very true...and oxygen...no oxygen, no rust.

Being that you are in Central California, I think fluid film is a bit extreme. I'm from Visalia and have never had any rust issues on any vehicles, ever. Clean her up real good and I think you should be fine.

I spend parts of the year in Colorado most years. They use magnesium chloride on the dirt county roads. That crap is super sticky when it's mud. I'm sure that's where the surface rust started.

I spend parts of the year in Colorado most years. They use magnesium chloride on the dirt county roads. That crap is super sticky when it's mud. I'm sure that's where the surface rust started.

This is true; the mag chloride also breaks down electrical connections that are exposed to that nasty, nasty crap! I think we could get away with focusing on just the intersections, stop signs, etc. That goes for the sand, cough, cough, I mean pebbles and boulders they throw on the roads for traction, and for the good folks at Safelite :love:

I lived 3 miles down a County Road, They would come around once a year with the big water trucks spraying another layer. It worked great on the road, low dust, nice compact dirt, like a paved road after the scraper came through...till it would rain or snow...then what a disaster!

Growing up in the central valley (Escalon) I don't think I have EVER seen a vehicle rust. Even my buddy who purchased "his truck" for him and his dad to restore when he was 10 and it was still sitting in pieces next to their garage when I officially moved to NV in 2001/2002 at the age of 21 didn't have a spec of rust on it. But if you spend months, especially during mud season or the winter in CO then I would fluid film it or do some sort of undercoating like second skin or even MonstaLiner.

There are plenty of those film sprays out there. Eastwood sells a good one.

But being in a dry (er) part of Calif, all you really need is a few cheap rattle cans of Rust Stop Rustoleum and a clean surface for the undercarriage. For the roof, just make sure the seams are all sound and your windshield does not leak .

Here's the final plan...I used a 1 inch chisel and lightly scraped the layer of Mag-chloride dirt off leaving a thin layer of the original coating (only took about 6 hours) Nasty stuff! In the spots that were bare, I wire wheeled/sanded then wiped with degreaser/wax remover. I painted those spots with por15. I will let that all cure then in a month or so, check it all real good then put on a layer of either marine grease or some type of spray. Going to order a few types and experiment with smell first.

What POR15 is this? I looked quick on Amazon and only saw one aerosol can listed.

I use a brush to paint it on. Put a nice thin layer on, leave it alone, and it lays down super flat. Prep work is key for this stuff.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

Mag-chloride souvenir from Colorado. About 3/8 inch caked all over the under carriage that had to be scraped with a chisel. Lug nut for scale.

IMG_4984.JPG

That's a lot of dirt and crud to have gotten off - good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom