I Built my Roof Rack for $300 after scoffing at the cost of Prinsu/SSO - Here's the How-To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kudos on the rack!
From the photo, one couldn't tell if it was a professional aftermarket rack or not!
What did you use for the mounting brackets into the factory roof mounts?
Can you take some close up photos of that assembly?
Are you going to leave it unpainted or maybe clear coat or black?
Thanks(I think your talking to me...lol)

The plan is to leave it plain...its held up really well going on 3+ years now .

The brackets were made out some phenolic material I had shaped to fit the contour of the roof, then I covered them in white vinyl, and connected a 4" pc of 2"x 4" angle to connect the sides to.

Once I had the sides mounted where I wanted, I trimmed the height of each one, and bolted it together.

I then installed the U channel that the bars are fit in and bolted. At the end of each cross bar I cut and tapped in a pc of Azec, so when I cranked down the bolts it wouldn't collapse.

I have to look for a link with pictures

Kudos on the rack!
From the photo, one couldn't tell if it was a professional aftermarket rack or not!
What did you use for the mounting brackets into the factory roof mounts?
Can you take some close up photos of that assembly?
Are you going to leave it unpainted or maybe clear coat or black?
This has details...snow tomorrow, but I can get pics if you need them

Where did you find 6” aluminum stock? I’ve only been able to find 2” locally. Is there some metal supply place near where you live?
Not sure where "west coast" as stated on your location, but if you're in So. Cal. theres IMS (Industrial Metal Supply) in Irvine.
You can get pretty much anything you need in almost any shape and size.
And they're open on Saturdays!

Hey SFM- thanks for the great thread and sources. I was all set to by a Sherpa, but did not like the <48” and I wanted the cross rails below the side bars. I bought a 12’ x6”-1/4” plate and could get both side rails with the drop front, and the front wind screen. At about the half way point now and liking it- thanks again for the idea and details
1E8212A0-E3BD-4CB9-8773-E44925D2D4F5.jpeg
F1878D5E-70EF-4E82-9AD0-627362C87619.jpeg
4BF1FFED-8B37-4032-9B81-79F8B6627472.jpeg
01602528-6702-4CE7-BD06-69EBAC94CA08.jpeg

All done - accomplished three objectives - 48” spaces between side rails, cross rails recessed 3/4” from side rails to prevent cargo slip, OTD saved $1,000

Not so sure about the bed liner holding up, but we will see ( also got some more appropriate wheels and tires )
03FEC9CB-4D17-4E68-891D-C81ED7CF9B77.jpeg
89A8BAF0-8F7F-49FC-94E3-05A4C7C7A001.jpeg
898726F1-8179-465C-BF65-E15F3A6DDFF2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom