I am making LC Scale Kits & Accessories for mud! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I know, life threw me a couple curveballs including brothers doggo, and I'm trying to keep up. Last night I started packing and giving sorting another go. Sometimes I'm just too tired for updates at the end of the day, and I wake up scrambling and skip updates/go straight to work.

Anyways, I made one pile for matching color parts, and another pile for mix and match basher with leftover parts.

Still trying to get first shipment out so I can move onto dryers and fine tuning this weekend, or at least after it. I've been on the fence about bundling as much as i can to save overall cost, and sending off what I have to get things going faster.

Another challenge is trying to sort parts based on whether or not it is a basher parts or worthy of being on your desks. This part has taken up much of my time staring at parts, and tbh I haven't gotten very far. I think best to skip it and I'm just sending you parts just based on functionality for one kit, and color for another.

I'm thinking best to say everything is basher parts, and plan on making two so you can play with a friend or your kids. This way I can take my sweet time and aim for maybe Christmas with the display versions.

Going to get started again as soon as I get back from court for my traffic ticket.

FYI pile on the right starting after the carbon fiber / black FJ are the mix and mash parts. I don't have enough for full kits but between all the spare parts I can make most of a kit and fill in the rest.

Left pile i will add more parts to, that's packing area for first kit.

@Hiluxforever going to send you what I have in metallic fluorescent green and go back for another try at tuning it/then send missing parts.

16620623982914248817970220135625.jpg

1662062671017255175005571952924.jpg

16620628835545063018725713245320.jpg

For the weekend warrior/frankenstine kit, I need for you guys to pick out parts from last photo in previous post. I tried to onky show 1 of each color from the extra parts. Pick a color for each part for your mixed kit

They will come with green or green and black mixed chassis similar to what you see here

And Here's a bigger picture of my sorting mess, just glad everything is in a room I can close off now so that my work doesn't get undone as I do it. I cleared out that beautiful cabinet I spent hours playing tetris on BTW.

16620630469474187177229705992254.jpg

16620630838976328809424666271727.jpg

No need to for color choices on spare basher stuff. What color shows up is it. Lot easier on you that way. I don't think people are expecting perfect parts from what we have seen they look dam good 👍

^^^ Agreed….just throw some parts in a box and all good. If we really want one color I know a store called Home Depot where we can get paint that sprays out of a can.

Keep on! ✌🏻

^^^ Agreed….just throw some parts in a box and all good. If we really want one color I know a store called Home Depot where we can get paint that sprays out of a can.

Keep on! ✌🏻
That works. That's currently my top priority as it knocks out a few birds with the same stone; helping get organized and get the assembly process started/get you guys going sooner.

I appreciate you guys taking over assembly for me as well.

It is done then, expect for everything for first shipment to go out by 5pm Monday, and from there we will figure out missing parts. You guys can report it to me after you get first chunk.

I will be mostly working on packing today and tomorrow.

Yeah I know, life threw me a couple curveballs including brothers doggo, and I'm trying to keep up. Last night I started packing and giving sorting another go. Sometimes I'm just too tired for updates at the end of the day, and I wake up scrambling and skip updates/go straight to work.

Anyways, I made one pile for matching color parts, and another pile for mix and match basher with leftover parts.

Still trying to get first shipment out so I can move onto dryers and fine tuning this weekend, or at least after it. I've been on the fence about bundling as much as i can to save overall cost, and sending off what I have to get things going faster.

Another challenge is trying to sort parts based on whether or not it is a basher parts or worthy of being on your desks. This part has taken up much of my time staring at parts, and tbh I haven't gotten very far. I think best to skip it and I'm just sending you parts just based on functionality for one kit, and color for another.

I'm thinking best to say everything is basher parts, and plan on making two so you can play with a friend or your kids. This way I can take my sweet time and aim for maybe Christmas with the display versions.

Going to get started again as soon as I get back from court for my traffic ticket.

FYI pile on the right starting after the carbon fiber / black FJ are the mix and mash parts. I don't have enough for full kits but between all the spare parts I can make most of a kit and fill in the rest.

Left pile i will add more parts to, that's packing area for first kit.

@Hiluxforever going to send you what I have in metallic fluorescent green and go back for another try at tuning it/then send missing parts.

View attachment 3103560

View attachment 3103561

View attachment 3103565
Works for me. If i can get it enough together for my trip i will take it up north with me.

Much better. Had to clear the floor of things that could maybe hurt doggo, including cables.

Also had to redo a lot of things for my stream setup since I sold the 3090 rtx, just to get my computer to boot with the 1060 instead. I also added a second desktop to help with the heavy workload of streaming and working on 3d models now that 3090 is sold.

I feel much better about doggo roaming around while I work now.

Time to organize master bedroom and picking up where I left off with previous update. I'll Start by boxing up what isn't staying, then organize the rest/they will be our spare parts.

16621899507633412176693073941541.jpg

16621901223513511230144147320026.jpg

16621901608863032273637705441867.jpg

16621908092737662955722504613400.jpg

16621910165895317124372069449195.jpg

These little guys are tagging along. Won't hurt my feelings if you hit some of these with some spray paint. A couple kits are incomplete, and I will send off parts to complete them if anyone actually cares for them.

Also overview of the sorting and packing room/current progress. I actually just started grabbing parts and putting into boxes then realized it's very difficult to keep track of what's already In the box, so I laid everything back out; I will make a packing list on my phone later to make this easier, but also moving towards build plate to box from here.

16622085994732887230421081167436.jpg

16622086278071533793677224677260.jpg

16622086449794673604791273696001.jpg

16622087364507335723671038308958.jpg

Last edited:
Running out of time to make it to the warehouse for shipping, so I cut off packing. Make sure you do inventory when you receive it as I just threw stuff in.

@glennjenn will put together what I can from the parts that can be painted and let you know. Yours will take more time as it is more than what I am sending off to my testers. Also, I can list on ebay as a printing service for you. I haven't looked into legality of actually selling the kits, as I'm only concerned about learning how to make stuff with printers before i get to the selling part. I do plan on running something similar to a Kinkos and craftworks and sell the service of making copies, and only difference is its now a 3-dimensional copy instead of 2. This way I don't have to worry about the big gray areas when it comes to copyright.

At least I think that's how it works, as I see printing services all over now and you can have anything made.

@CruiserTrash no address for you yet but I know you have a space crisis at the moment, so I'll keep it safe here with me. You can use the parking spot next to my dad's cruiser.

Anyways, gotta jet!

Possible wprking solid axles for the 1/16th scale

Dilwe RC Car Axle Set, Metal Upgrade Part Fit for WPL 1/16 B14 B24 B26 C14 C24 RC Car Modification Amazon.com: Dilwe RC Car Axle Set, Metal Upgrade Part Fit for WPL 1/16 B14 B24 B26 C14 C24 RC Car Modification : Toys & Games - https://a.co/d/bOxGUzj

View attachment 3109821
That's another thing i noticed while browsing, is that WPL compatible parts are plenty. Once i get more machines up and running we can add 1:16 scale parts to the mix. The 1:8 kits are basically pushing me over production limits, at least until i get my work flow down more.

Also, Suspension for 1:8 is on list of parts to begin filling in after this week; this includes gearboxes. I am taking a few days off to make my mom a couple hundred vases/she's going to help me sell them so i can raise funds for more machines. Don't worry vases go fast and i've already made about 60.

Also, i decided that i won't be selling these kits @glennjenn , i will only make them for mud as a volunteer project and you guys can trade me tools/donations for it. I will use my extra kits as alternate currency here on mud.

I will take everything i learned from this process and make things i can sell easily without worrying about licensing instead. I have rights to sell 3D Sets Printed parts/3D Sets Bamboo Kits, but the gray area comes in because the BAMBOO is obviously a TOYOTA Land Cruiser; and i do not have permission from Toyota. I don't like gray areas, and there are countless things i can sell instead that doesn't come with any.

Also, another thing to consider:

$50 bucks gets you a long ways with me, and eventually ill have CNC machines and begin working with metal as well. Consider pooling the $50 towards a donation for my first CNC machine instead, so i can make us all metal shafts and etc.

But 1 thing at a time, and we need to focus on getting the first fleet up and running; the 1:8ths. After we test the plastic as some are really strong, then we will look into metal for the things that absolutely should be metal.

Last edited:
@SharpeCat i understand about not wanting to fool with the licensing of it all. I look forward to seeing what coming in the mail and writing a review on it and seeing what else I’d like to donate for. I for one appreciate your follow through.

Running out of time to make it to the warehouse for shipping, so I cut off packing. Make sure you do inventory when you receive it as I just threw stuff in.

@glennjenn will put together what I can from the parts that can be painted and let you know. Yours will take more time as it is more than what I am sending off to my testers. Also, I can list on ebay as a printing service for you. I haven't looked into legality of actually selling the kits, as I'm only concerned about learning how to make stuff with printers before i get to the selling part. I do plan on running something similar to a Kinkos and craftworks and sell the service of making copies, and only difference is its now a 3-dimensional copy instead of 2. This way I don't have to worry about the big gray areas when it comes to copyright.

At least I think that's how it works, as I see printing services all over now and you can have anything made.

@CruiserTrash no address for you yet but I know you have a space crisis at the moment, so I'll keep it safe here with me. You can use the parking spot next to my dad's cruiser.

Anyways, gotta jet!
Hey, sorry I've been out of the loop. getting a new 60 daily driver up and running, then a 10 day trip, then a couple HUGE back to back projects at work ... haven't had the brain space for this :confused:

But yes, you remember correctly: I don't really have the space in my small, small house for anything beyond a 1:16-1:12 scale truck at this point. I see above folks are now looking at WPL compatible stuff - I spent entirely too much money building a WPL C24 this past year so if you need guidance on good parts I'm happy to weigh in with recommendations. Most of the stuff out there is absolute junk. Luckily trial and error is much cheaper at the 1:16 scale than it is at the 1:12 and above scales.

Here's one pro tip as an example - the stock WPL shocks are the best shocks out there ... after you modify them. The external spring and faux-oil shocks are waaaaaay too stiff for the weight. My truck with upgraded (heavier) electronics and many sprung-weight components now metal instead of plastic is STILL too light for shocks like that. The modification process is as follows:
1. Completely disassemble the shock. Throw the piston and spring in the trash, save the small screw.
2. Bore out the shock housing with a 3mm bit to a depth of 2-3mm deeper without blowing out the other side. Make sure to clean up the internal part where the small mounting/grub screw penetrates or the spring will catch on it and impede movement.
3. Get some M3 allen head bolts from the hardware store - this is your new piston. Length depends on how much height you want at rest. 35-40mm is good for a good balance between height (allowing tire articulation), center of gravity, as spring softness. 50mm will look like one of those super-lifted muddin' trucks from down south. Chuck the bolt in a drill and sand off the threads.
4. Get new springs from the hardware store that will fit inside the housing - usually they have loose springs in a small package at a place like Ace or True Value. They'll be about 1.5-2" long and look like the spring inside of a pen. Cut these to about 60-65% of their length and then stretch them so they are about 3mm longer than the housing.
5. Get some heim joint shock ends from a hobby store like these. Don't worry about threading, just jam the ends of the pistons in there (maybe drilling out the threaded part wider if necessary), and glue those ****ers in. Use plastic-safe glue if the body of the heims are plastic!
6. Reassemble with your new spring and new piston. A little bit of light grease helps the movement to be smooth. Do not use oil or a heavy-bodied grease.
7. Reinstall spring.
8. For an extra 1-1.5mm of flex you can cut down the head of the 3mm bolt. Take about half the meat off. At 1:16 scale an extra 1mm is about 1/2". It's not much but every little bit adds up, hence boring the shock housing out.

@SharpeCat i understand about not wanting to fool with the licensing of it all. I look forward to seeing what coming in the mail and writing a review on it and seeing what else I’d like to donate for. I for one appreciate your follow through.
Rest assured money or not, I plan on seeing this project through. Dont think that just because I no longer plan on listing kits for sale, that it means I will no longer keep making little LCs. I do this because I enjoy it making it, and because you guys enjoy and appreciate them.

I'm also very confident that the extra kits will be as good as gold here on mud, and I'm sure I can trade it for things that I would spend money on anyways. I'm actually saving myself a step of not needing to sell my prints for money, then use money to buy tools/parts/services/etc, by trading prints directly for things I could use.

I don't think it was ever about the money with me to begin with to be honest, I'm just not good at asking for money. I'd rather focus on making things for people, and just trust that what goes around comes around. I'll keep making happy little parts for you guys, and trust that somewhere down the road it will all come back to me; we will say in the next life to be safe. Trying to figure out how to make money out of it really gets In the way of me being able to focus on making happy parts, and things start looking sad after I lose focus.

There are plenty of projects I have in mind that I can make money from, and there are plenty of people in the world that I can make money from; I do not need to rely on profiting off of my friends, and I don't need to allow money to take the fun out of something I enjoy doing.

Anyways, typical of me to go on a round-about way of communicating a simple point across, but you guys need not worry. Forget the beta tester thing, this is now simply me making some kits for my friends.

Doing some test fitting and futzing.

Message_1662768138760.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom