HZJ80 Tacho pick up sensor (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boozewz

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm not one for cross posting, but I had a feeling this could get buried in the 80 section so I've come here to diesel (in hindsight the more appropriate section) for help.

I've been trying to get the tacho to work on my 1990 HZJ80, only to find out that the PO had removed the tacho pick up sensor.

I ended up getting the pick up sensor from the dealer, and when it came to installing it I posed this question in the 80 section

"Ok so we hit a bit of a stumbling block when it came to installing the tacho pickup sensor. We cannot locate the bolt on the engine side of the fuel injection pump. I've attached a pic of it, with an arrow for reference which is where we expected to find the bolt. This is not a threaded bolted. (allen key bolt?). How do we remove this?

So I checked the part number, and lo and behold we discovered that there are two part numbers for the FIP housing: one for the tacho pickup sensor, and one without. Am I reading that correctly?

So either we can deduct two things: this rig came with a poverty pack and had no tacho on the gauge, and the PO went and installed a tacho gauge only to realize it didnt work. Or, it came with a tacho gauge, and the PO had the FIP housing changed at some point, and they installed the wrong housing?
Where do I go from here:crybaby:"

The rest of the thread can be found here for background.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/675837-hzj80-instrument-cluster-2.html

Any help would be great:cheers:

Most likely it was the first scenario with the PO thinking the plug from the fuel cut off was the pick up, or the pick up was wired in the pump already.

My 1HZ was from a HZJ79 and it didn't have a pick up. I felt around the pump and noticed an indention/shallow hole, where the diameter matches threads on the pick up. I ordered a pick up and will have this hole tapped when i have my pump rebuilt.

PS i wish it was that easy needing to just remove a bolt and installing the pick up......sigh**

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Most likely it was the first scenario with the PO thinking the plug from the fuel cut off was the pick up, or the pick up was wired in the pump already.

My 1HZ was from a HZJ79 and it didn't have a pick up. I felt around the pump and noticed an indention/shallow hole, where the diameter matches threads on the pick up. I ordered a pick up and will have this hole tapped when i have my pump rebuilt.

PS i wish it was that easy needing to just remove a bolt and installing the pick up......sigh**

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that.

Is the shallow hole you found in the same spot as the first pic above with a red arrow pointing at it? Or is it further to the right of the pic?

Cheers

I have a diagram similar to yours, and i used it to check where the pick up should be on the 1H* engines that came with it. The shallow hole is right or the front of the pump. The pump flywheel is also at the top and front of the pump where the diagram shows the pick up should be, so i am thinking it uses the teeth for its reading. In addition, to ascertain, the pictures of pump for sale with pick ups are also in that spot. Cheers

In red circle........
Screenshot2013-01-26at82125PM_zps859c848e.jpg

Checked the FIP housing and found the same smooth shallow hole you mentioned. Its not threaded, so looks like the only option would be to either thread it when the time comes to rebuild it, and in the meantime drive the truck with the tacho sitting on 0rpm:meh:

Alternatively replacing the housing with a used one if it can be found.

I've been told that the FIP should not be opened up unless it is absolutely necessary.

Oh well

You don't want to open and rebuild and if your are going to open it's kinda " while I'm there" rebuild it..

I mean you can open it and just that but all diesel injection related labor it's expensive that's why you try to make it worth rebuilding while you are in there..

Sent from my big phone using IH8MUD

I don't think you gonna see that much due to location against block .. and I have my time advanced but I will do my best ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom