HZJ78 Troopie Side Lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys (and gals),

I was looking over an overland website and saw something interesting.

http://www.bigsky-adventures.com/landy/side_lockers.htm

I was wondering if anyone had any info on whether the installation of side lockers for jerry cans is possible for the troopie.

Seems like a great way to keep the C-of-G lower down, improving accessibility, and sparing the roof rack.

So, anyone have any ideas?

Dennis the Dutchy

I don't have a troopie myself at the moment. But I am considering my options for a project commencing in Oct '07.

From what I have found out, a new 78 troopie from Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings Ltd (www.toyota-gib.com) comes with standard dual 90L tanks.

Combined they sound like a pretty reasonable fuel load, but for the more remote parts of Africa I would prefer to get nearer, or over, the 2,000km fuel range level.

Four 20L jerry cans would give that extra range boost needed, but I would prefer not to have to store that sort of weight on the roof rack.

So a couple of side lockers does seem like an ideal solution to me. They are seperated from the main cabin so no smell to deal with. The roof rack is freed up to carry the large equipment or roof tent, etc. And center of gravity isn't as heavily influenced making driving safer during bad weather/worse road conditions.

Feedback would be great.

rainforrest256-1.jpg

rainforrest245.jpg

Most troopys here are fitted with two 90 liter tanks. Some have aftermarket tanks like this troopy also.:cheers:

bigbrowndog said:
rainforrest256-1.jpg

rainforrest245.jpg

Most troopys here are fitted with two 90 liter tanks. Some have aftermarket tanks like this troopy also.:cheers:

Saw that exact same fuel tank on a 60 series I installed the 1H-T into, kind of a low suction from the higher rear mount factory into the lover tank.

There is not enough depth between the outer body panel and the interior panels for a jerry can. These spaces would make a great interior storage or for drinking water bladders though.

Long Ranger of Australia makes a 180L replacement fuel tank as well as an 80L auxillary tank. The guys at Tom's Fahrzeugtechnik in Germany also sell their own expanded and auxillary tanks for the troopie.

Dave

Thanks for the links. I'm actually in Germany, so lucky me.

Also, I would consider the option of extending the side lockers into the interior of the vehicle. And then perhaps mount a water tank in the middle between the two side lockers. Would provide a nice weight distribution.

One concern I do have though, is the possibility of weakening the structural strength of the vehicle. Especially when experiencing diagonal flexing of the frame.

Dutch Dennis said:
Thanks for the links. I'm actually in Germany, so lucky me.

Also, I would consider the option of extending the side lockers into the interior of the vehicle. And then perhaps mount a water tank in the middle between the two side lockers. Would provide a nice weight distribution.

One concern I do have though, is the possibility of weakening the structural strength of the vehicle. Especially when experiencing diagonal flexing of the frame.

I would put in a false floor with flat/water fuel tanks like the removable plastic type used in boats.
Build them into a frame and strap the tanks down with rachet straps.
Use a small electric pump through a trap door over the cap to empty them
Cutting up the interior metal body will weaken it to some extent but it also looks bad when you want to sell it;)

Just on a side note. I asked for a quote from the Gibraltar company I mentioned earlier and they sent it to me an hour ago.

- HZJ79 Pickup €18,300 or about $23,500 USD

- HZJ78 Troopie €19,200 or about $24,500 USD

But before you start ordering, they only sell to charities, aid organisations and so on.

Dutch Dennis said:
But before you start ordering, they only sell to charities, aid organisations and so on.

so sad for us ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom