HZJ77 Towing Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some input...
..I was wondering how much one could expect to pull with a HZJ77?

I'd say that depends on how hungry you are.
75trayback.jpg
...yep, that's a boar.

I'd say that depends on how hungry you are.
75trayback.jpg
...yep, that's a boar.

wow.. you catch that think up in Canada? us Hawaii natives are really missing out.. Did you use any dogs when hunting it... I'm all ears..

BTW, thanks everyone for your towing capacity info...

I'm sorry to take the piss out of you, I just couldn't resist.
I found this photo on-line, probably taken in Australia (land of the 70 series trayback) but that is quite the feast (and feat).

Definately RHD ,you can by the way the mirror is set.
Normally we aint allowed to shoot the baby pigs.We have to wait until they are as big as a cruiser.:grinpimp:

With a Euro reg. 7000lbs on a self-braked trailer, possibly even more in Germany or Switzerland with electric brakes.
It won't be fast and the trailer will have to be balanced well.

sure, stick it in low range and you can tow as much as you want...
;^)
i agree, towing 7000* will be slow. i towed a 5000* truck behind my HZJ75 for 6 hours, i can be done but it is not enjoyable at all...(at least i didn't enjoy it).
you want to know how much to tow, ask Gowyn on the site here, he has a HDJ81 and a 5000* trailer and is selling the HDJ81 because it is not a comfortable tow in flat land southern Ontario...

paper ratings and actual life experience can and usually is completely different...

The most I'd like to ever tow...

...is my BJ42 and 2 motorcycles when I move. Seeing that I'm not moving anytime soon but will most likely in two years.. I really don't need another vehicle to figure out how to move cross country. I think the total weight without the trailer would be around 3500+400+400.. so just under 4500.. and that's not including any cargo in the cruiser.. which I don't even own.. the BJ42 and motorcycles I do, however...

What is "enjoyable" and what is "safe" are completetly different things. Heck most things "enjoyable" for me are not officially considered safe :rolleyes:
IMO balance is much more important than power. The super long wheelbase and heavy weight of a 77 will offer a great stability.
Another thing to keep in mind is not all lbs are equal. The greater the moment of inertia of the trailer, the bigger the tow truck, or the more leverage you will need.

i would not consider the wheel base of a 77 "super long" since it is the same as the 60 series to the cm, an 80 series is longer... considering the 77 series shares the same braking ability (i.e. brake parts) as the 60 series and the 40 series, same difs as the above and is actually lighter than the 80 series and only 30 kg lighter than a FJ62, i wouldn't classify the 77 as a heavy truck...oh and taller than a 60 but shorter than a 80...oh and the 77 is narrower than the 60 and 80 series...

so the idea of more stable is a bit of a misconception.

So it has a shorter wheelbase than the regular 75 series ? Forget what I said then. If the trailer has brakes the tow truck brakes almost have no additionnal work.
Sometimes when I get stuck in my 2WD 115hp IVECO van truck I dream of a purpose-built 75 series tow truck. Then I realize I would throw the absolute perfect stability and 20mpg far away. Oh well.

Virtually everybody in this area who needs to tow heavy loads, particularly through mountains, goes with a domestic with a honkin' big diesel. It just makes towing effortless, and your mileage will probably be better than with a smaller, overworked motor. You might even be able to rent a suitable vehicle if you are only towing on occasion. Just a thought. I've also read, and pretty consistently from multiple sources, that if you use 60-70% of the maximum rated tow weight, you should end up with a realistic, comfortable max for your vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom