hzj75 - 1hdt swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
hi guys, new to the 70 section so... go easy:):)

so, I've always been a cruiser man and don't really desire to change that:D. my first cruiser was a HJ47 which i had owned since i was about 15, now, i'm 18 and it's unfortunate but i have to move the old girl on. so, i need a replacement which is most likely in the form of a hzj75 ute. i have been searching and have come across a 75 in good nick apart from a bad 1hz (cracked head). the 75 is priced accordingly and i am wondering what it would take to swap in a 1hdt or 1hdt -ft. i had a 12h-t in my 47 and was never too keen on a turbo-less cruiser but i can't afford a hdj79r. there are turbo 1hz's running around, a lot of them in fact but i like reliable power. so, is there anyone out there that has done a out with the 1hz, and in with the 1hdt?

some questions:

what wiring would be involved?
are the air-con compressors the same?
will i have to modify engine mounts?
what bellhousing will i have to use, i plan on running the h55f?
do the engines run the same shut-off method?
will anything be in the way of the 1hdt? i.e the air cleaner box
anything else that i should know about?

i swapped out the original 2h in my cruiser for the 12h-t so i'm not completely foreign to engine swaps. what would the degree to difficulty be compared to the 47 12h-t swap?

thanks heaps

I haven't dealt with you particular situation, but based on my 1HD-FT swap:
what wiring would be involved?
Almost none, only issue would be swapping 12V vs 24V.

are the air-con compressors the same?
1HD-T: Yes, 1HD-FT: No the AC drive belt is moved forward.

will i have to modify engine mounts?
what bellhousing will i have to use, i plan on running the h55f?
Should be no modifications required the blocks are essentially the same. So the same engine mounts and bell housing bolt pattern.

do the engines run the same shut-off method?
See wiring

will anything be in the way of the 1hdt? i.e the air cleaner box
anything else that i should know about?
There are some differences based on the vehicle that have to be worked out, including the Air Cleaner, Exhaust and Vacuum systems.

If the 1HD T engine is Australian in origin it will be all 12v. 24v imports merely need the starter motor and alternator from your 1HZ. You will need to buy some 12V glow plugs if the 1HD T. Most owners use the 24V solenoid 12V but you could swap it to be on the safe side.
You can bolt the H55F gearbox to a 1HD T bellhousing. Normally the 1HD T has a 300mm clutch vs the 1HZ 275mm clutch. Most drivers don't need the larger clutch. There is a Isuzu 300mm clutch conversion you can do. I think you need the 1HD T pressure plate.
The 80 series 1HD T maybe a little longer because the air conditioning pulleys sit further forward by about 10mm. No problem using the 1HZ pulleys and idler.

thanks heaps for the help guys, anyone else with info please chime in. i'd love to hear from someone who has done the conversion before.

Hi , Imhad a HZ1 , with turbo on my car .
It runned well , but for the peace of mind , I switched to HD-T motor.
It is a plug and play operation .
Didn't had to change anything .
Runs much nicer as well.
Only comment , if you can is to move to a 78. With front coils, more confort for driver, slightly more space, and same car reliability.
Better in off road , and road handeling aswell.

Bye Renago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom