Hyperflex Arms and Superior Links for my 80 Series Review. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Giving these some consideration…but I also currently am running @eimkeith ’s RAMs which more the frame side mounts 50mm down and 25mm forward. Clearance for 37s is fine as-is (I need to get her back on the forklift after changing wheels for offset and panhard length adjustments) but I’m wondering which variation I’d need on a standard 4” flexi coil lift?

Given the built in caster correction from the RAMs, are we thinking 2" - which would make it ~4" combined correction? 4" for a total of 6" combined correction (since people seem to run "oversized" for these)?
Who says you can’t run more than 4* positive castor. I run positive 5deg+ castor and like it. If you plan to retain the drop brackets at the frame I’d suggest the 4” arms as it appears you are rolling on 37’s.

Who says you can’t run more than 4* positive castor. I run positive 5deg+ castor and like it. If you plan to retain the drop brackets at the frame I’d suggest the 4” arms as it appears you are rolling on 37’s.
Nothing inherently wrong with more caster, but more concerned with how much more forward these might move the wheels and alter driveline angle.

I’m not saying that this is a bad product. But I haven’t really seen anything that suggests that it’s a good one. Nobody’s shown any evidence that these work any better than stock radius arms🤷🏻‍♀️
It would be nice to see someone forklift cycle before and after install. Maybe some travel gains + replacing bushings less often (due to less binding) is the upside? Downside, I'd imagine, is the expensive cost/freight cost to the States.

Closest thing I could find on the internetz is from down under:

Last edited:
I’m not saying that this is a bad product. But I haven’t really seen anything that suggests that it’s a good one. Nobody’s shown any evidence that these work any better than stock radius arms🤷🏻‍♀️

They absolutely do provide more flex.

Do some searching, there's plenty of pics of them being flexed on forklifts and ramps, and side by side comparisons.

Do some searching, there's plenty of pics of them being flexed on forklifts and ramps, and side by side comparisons.
The rear bushings being close together on the rear of the arm seems to allow more pivoting in relation to front of the arm if I'm understanding this correctly.

It's the change in orientation of the bushes that allows more flex, not so much the spacing.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it illegal for you folks who live upside down to do major suspension mods like a 3 link? This would be the reason a product like super flex arms come out of AU rather than the USA where we can do whatever we want in our “shed” no matter how dangerous it is on the road. God bless America!!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it illegal for you folks who live upside down to do major suspension mods like a 3 link? This would be the reason a product like super flex arms come out of AU rather than the USA where we can do whatever we want in our “shed” no matter how dangerous it is on the road. God bless America!!

Suspension modifications beyond very small limits 'should' be certified by an engineer. There's a series of tests they do to verify that a modification performs the same as the original.
example is an emergenxy lane change test done at 100km/hr

Aftermarket product can be tested and certified as compliant with the relevant ADRs (Australian Design Rules, similar to DOT) in a similar way . It's expensive, so not many products get tested. I believe at least some of the superior engineering arms are tested and certified.

Nothing inherently wrong with more caster, but more concerned with how much more forward these might move the wheels and alter driveline angle.
By the looks of your rig, at least pics I’ve seen, it’s very clean. Will you actually be out there on huge boulders crawling buggy trails where these arms might actually come into use? I get pretty darn good articulation with my long travel springs and shocks and narrow Delta arms.

I know this dude they call @Broski who wheels the worst trails anyone takes an 80 on with low lift, stock arms on 39’s that tuck up inside expanded fender wells.

These hyper flex arms do work as advertised but is the expense necessary? My experience tells me NO…

By the looks of your rig, at least pics I’ve seen, it’s very clean. Will you actually be out there on huge boulders crawling buggy trails where these arms might actually come into use? I get pretty darn good articulation with my long travel springs and shocks and narrow Delta arms.

I know this dude they call @Broski who wheels the worst trails anyone takes an 80 on with low lift, stock arms on 39’s that tuck up inside expanded fender wells.

These hyper flex arms do work as advertised but is the expense necessary? My experience tells me NO…
Honestly - yes. I’m pretty careful about it and have avoided any major body damage with my previous 4R going down gnarly rock trails around central Texas, and have been down some a lot of the fun stuff in Moab and the San Juans (need to head to the Rubicon one of these years).

My 80, even in current form, is already more capable than my old 4R, which for me, just means it unlocks more/harder trails.

My rig is still a work in progress and my next steps are re-gearing the transfer case and diffs, working on a custom rear tube bumper, etc - but you are correct, I really just need to get more seat time to see where I’m at.

That being said, that never stops me from looking at options, whether it be these or a 3-link - I have a sickness! 🤣

Last edited:

They seem to flex as well and any 80 with 12” shocks and stock radius arms. Do they keep the bushings alive longer with the orientation change?

They seem to flex as well and any 80 with 12” shocks and stock radius arms. Do they keep the bushings alive longer with the orientation change?

I believe the first two pics are before pics.

The rest with superflex (one arm with bushes shifted, hyperflex chafes bush location on both arms).

I've seen superflex fitted 80s alongside modified 80s on stock arms. Superflex out do the stock arms from what I've seen

I believe the first two pics are before pics.

The rest with superflex (one arm with bushes shifted, hyperflex chafes bush location on both arms).

I've seen superflex fitted 80s alongside modified 80s on stock arms. Superflex out do the stock arms from what I've seen
Idk if I’d call that a fair comparison. There’s other factors at hand. It’s running a different spring/ shock package along with the arms. I’d love to see an apples to apples comparison.

It also flexes less than 80s with stock arms that I’ve seen🤷🏻‍♀️

It also flexes less than 80s with stock arms that I’ve seen🤷🏻‍♀️

With different springs and shock combination to no doubt.

The thing with the superior engineering arms is, for the same lift, you get a lot more flex.
As @baldilocks pointed out, they were developed in Australia where a maximum of 50mm of suspension lift is legal, and legality is enforced.
With 2" or 4" lift, superflex arms give you more than you'd Roslyn see with stock arms.

Of course they used different springs and shocks! What would be the point of freeing up flex with improved arms then limiting it with poorly matched shocks and springs?

I do agree there's things that can be done to make stock arms work better, I've BTDT. I still think superflex, or hyperflex arms will out perform stock arms, all else being equal.

With different springs and shock combination to no doubt.

The thing with the superior engineering arms is, for the same lift, you get a lot more flex.
As @baldilocks pointed out, they were developed in Australia where a maximum of 50mm of suspension lift is legal, and legality is enforced.
With 2" or 4" lift, superflex arms give you more than you'd Roslyn see with stock arms.

Of course they used different springs and shocks! What would be the point of freeing up flex with improved arms then limiting it with poorly matched shocks and springs?

I do agree there's things that can be done to make stock arms work better, I've BTDT. I still think superflex, or hyperflex arms will out perform stock arms, all else being equal.
Maybe they do make a difference. I’ve just never seen proof of it🤷🏻‍♀️

And you mentioned that
The thing with the superior engineering arms is, for the same lift, you get a lot more flex.”
Wouldn’t lowering the spring rate, increasing the spring free height, and increasing the shock length do the exact same thing? In my experience, the radius arms never really limited how much the front end articulated. I’ve had more issues with spring rates being to high and shock extended length being to short. Here’s my reasoning.

Oversprung: missing out on uptravel and not using all of the 11” shock
IMG_1782.jpeg

Sprung correctly and using all of the 11” shock
51950278757_a09381c4d6_o.jpeg

Same 11” shock but I moved the frame mount down 2.5” and put on 37s:
IMG_9094.jpeg

My point is, I haven’t seen how the radius arm is the limiting factor. Not have I seen proof that spending $1700 on hyper flex arms is worth it. But I have seen how spring rate and messing with the “extended” length of a shock can make a difference.

the limiting factor. Not have I seen proof that spending $1700 on hyper flex arms is worth it. But I have seen how spring rate and messing with the “extended” length of a shock can make a difference.

There was a video of a mocked up front end showing how the arms act, and how they bind. I haven't been able to find it.

I don't disagree with you. Stock arms can be made to work much better than misty people achieve.
You've found a combo that works the way you want it to, then it's mostly a moot argument. I think you're not composts apples for apples.

Sounds like you've modified the frame shock mounts to work with your combo?

SE arms are 100% bolt in swap that can be completed or removed by anyone over a weekend

My previous cruiser worked really well with stock arms, 2" springs and 5" lift shocks on raised shock mounts at the frame, and frame ends of the radius arm moved forward 25mm.

I'll do the same with my current cruiser at some point. The thing that's stopped me lifting it so far is the need to cut and weld to replicate my last set up.
No bones about doing it, it's just down totinme and a suitable space to work on it without getting evicted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom