Hydraulic vs Electric (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I buy the 8274, I will need to upgrade the electrical system. Oh well.

Uh, maybe I'm just "ignant" but I think your optima will work just fine for the recovery purposes you have in mind....eg. pullin' my a$$ out!

Maybe later you'll go for a dual battery system, but for the time being I think you'll be fine as long as you don't go for crazy long/heavy pulls without allowing a little "recharge" time in between.

-H-

Could not pay me enough to ever have a milemarker, or any other hydraulic winch on a truck, period. Slow, lame POS. You need a real hydraulic pump to move some oil in order to get work done, and the PS pumps, even hot rodded are a joke at best for this application. Furter, having been in situations that I have needed to recover myself with the engine dead, due to a rollover, I was very happy to have the 8274, as recovery was quick, and the power used, was nothing that the dual battery system could not handle.

But hey, to each their own.

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=BMT link=board=2;threadid=11022;start=msg100497#msg100497 date=1076102948]
If I buy the 8274, I will need to upgrade the electrical system. Oh well. [/quote]

BMT, dude, don't drink the punch about the elec system. You'll be fine.

Now shut up and get the dang 8274 :D :D

this may be an old subject, but what about mile marker's electric winches? and i know the warn 8274 is very popular, but what about the 9.5 or xd9000? i'm going to buy something in october, so i'm doing research ahead of time. i definitely want a portable winch that will hook up to a hitch in front and back.

I'm curious about mile markers 10K and 12K hydraulic 2 speed winches as well. If they work as well as they are advertised they should be wonderful, but I know that's not usually the case. They say the military is using these on hummers in Irak? Any soldiers here with use of them? Anybody with some true experience with these? I've read an article years ago where the power steering pump on the vehicle just wouldn't hold up to these, and they put several new pumps on it. It was a magazine test of electric winch (don't remember which co.) vs. Mile markers. That's been years ago, so does anyone have any real information of how they work on an 80 series Cruiser or links to recent articles with testing?
I was told when looking for a ARB bar, that the 8274 is a little light for 80 series Cruisers, that most people want a 12K Warn. Now I see several people here recommending it, so that's interesting as well. So I guess if I wanted to go that route on my reg. ARB winch bar that it might not fit? Does it take the commercial bar to hold this winch?

Thanks
Bryan

How about a hydraulic winch with a hyd. pump powered by a roof or rear bumper mounted 3-5 hp gas engine. This would be (almost) unimogish.

Bryan Enoch said:
I'm curious about mile markers 10K and 12K hydraulic 2 speed winches as well. <snip> Anybody with some true experience with these? Bryan
I know Fred Lamb was having lots of problems with his PS pump/ milemarker system on his 40. He tried to put a bunch of extra reservoir for more fluid , and had a top quality, expensive hot rodded saginaw pump, but no dice.... I *think* he ended up putting a totally seperate PS pump on for the winch alone?
On his new trail truck, a non-hydraulic winch resides. *hmmmm.....*
Bryan Enoch said:
I was told when looking for a ARB bar, that the 8274 is a little light for 80 series Cruisers, that most people want a 12K Warn. Now I see several people here recommending it, so that's interesting as well.
I have personally seen Warn 12K's on different 80's heat up and stall on tough pulls in the mud. I also saw a 8274-50 pull out the one stuck 80 after it's 12K shut down. It made it look easy!
I think that the 12K might have more actual pulling power, but it is dead slow and seems to overheat easy. The 8274 is an ooooold design (overbuilt?) that many have guessed is under-rated at 8000 lbs. It *seems* that in actual use, the 8274 is the better choice, but I don't know for sure.
I personally will be putting an 8274-50 on my 80. :D
Bryan Enoch said:
Does it take the commercial bar to hold this winch? So I guess if I wanted to go that route (8274)on my reg. ARB winch bar that it might not fit? Does it take the commercial bar to hold this winch?
I have been looking at this as well and would LOVE to hear from anyone that HAS gotten it to fit. It looks like it might fit if you cut part of the top flat of the bumper, and the one light tab. The clincher will be if it clears the round tube.

Anyone?

Also, does anyone have pics of the 'commercial' bar? Is it the same as the regular or different?

Klunk,
I had the commercial bar, but if you read this thread, you'll notice someone now has it and I believe BMT has posted pics of it before. Christo also had pics of it on his blue truck.

I've been looking for a good hydraulic pump to power a hydraulic winch...found this one (well actually ali176 found it)...looks pretty sweet, pulley size is rather large but specs look good, not cheap however.

Northern Tools Pump

I had the 12k on my H1 and it was great. I know a lot of people who have different experiences but mine was a positive one. The PS pump never failed and the winch never stopped. I didn't use it a whole lot of times, which may account for the lack of pump failure, but when I did use it I really needed it. Yes, it was slow but when a truck as heavy as an H1 is is stuck in deep mud I think most winches would be somewhat slow. There were some times when I didn't think it would pull it out, but it never failed. I really liked how the hydro winch could fit in between the frame rails on my truck and the electics would stick out effecting the approach angle. Later I found that there were some electrics including the MM that would fit in there too. Here's what it looked like.
47b6dd23b3127cce97eb7e9b0c8400000016108Bas2Lho2Z4

I have a MM hydraulic on my truck. Since it was the first one on an 80mI had to engineer the install. Haven't pulled a damn thing yet though.

My reasons:

Lighter than the warn by almost 60lbs.

Can work it continuously as long as you have gas.

synthetic friendly

cheaper than the warn 12k.

no high amp electrical BS to deal with and it's associated weight.

waterproof

better control, off is off instantly

SInce I have no practical experience this is just from what I understand and have researched.

Here is the thread of my install

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=59466

Oh Ya, if it's the winch of choice to save our servicemen's lives it's good enough for me.

landtank said:
Oh Ya, if it's the winch of choice to save our servicemen's lives it's good enough for me.

Yea, we know the government only buys the best equipment, like the awesome Humvee (got mine stuck on wet grass once), and the wonderful Bradley Fighting Vehicle....if they had the best, they would be rolling in a Cruiser;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom