HVAC Fresh Air feed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm adding an aftermarket A/C unit to my 1989 BJ75. The unit doesn't have a fresh air feed (only re-circulation), so I'm trying to block off the (now un-used) outside air feed.

Attached is a picture of where the stock HVAC system connects to the dash. This is under the passenger side dash, looking up towards the top of the dash. My question is, where does the air for this feed come from?

I'm going to make a block off plate for this opening, but I'd ideally like to also make one for the outside opening as well. I'd like to prevent moisture from the outside air from being trapped inside my dash and potentially causing rust in the future.

signal-2023-09-10-102812.jpeg

I admit I'm not the smartest on HVAC, but isn't that what I want to do? The aftermarket unit I'm adding doesn't have a provision for accepting outside air, it just re-circulates cabin air.

The stock HVAC unit seems to close off that opening with a damper in re-circulation mode. My thought is I should do the same, since I'll effectively be permanently using re-circulation mode now. Otherwise the unit would be fighting against incoming hot/humid air when I'm using A/C, or cold/damp air when I'm using the heater.

In your experience, is this not a good idea?

i would block it as your thinking to keep air intrusion to a minimum, but you cant get to the intake without cutting the firewall open so you'll have to be happy with the access you currently have, unless of course you WANT to do some more intrusive body work.

August in Virginia, I’d rather have the ac try to cool stale recycled 75 degree air than fresh 98 degree humid swamp air.
Where’s the factory fan and baffles for the heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom