Builds Hundo Family Truckster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couple more pieces for the pile.

Old Skid 2.jpg

Before

Old Skid.jpg

After

Skid 3.jpg

The support for the front dif hung down a couple of millimeters so I had to space the skid down just a touch in the rear

Edit: I think the skid would normally be mounted with the Asfir intermediate skid underneath that so you have to space it if you are not using one of those skids.

Skid 5.jpg

Last edited:
Total tech here. After owning off-road rigs for almost 25 years I steered away from putting traditional tire treatment or armor all etc. on my wheeling rigs tires as it just turns into a gross brown mess as soon as you hit the dirt. Recently found this and it works amazing on off-road tires. Makes them look new, not shiny, but does not let the dirt/dust stick to the tire. In fact it almost repels it and keep the tires looking better longer.

Tire Treatment.jpg

Tire.jpg

Decided to try and find a solution for the cell phone mount using the tape deck. While I like the Owl Expeditions mount it's a bit more invasive than I wanted to tackle right now. This one out of South Korea seems to fit the bill. The tape deck portion is great, the holder is cheap and doesn't quite fit my Pixel XL so I ordered a Ram mount to fit on it. This is with a Motorola Z2 play.

Tape Deck Mount 1.jpg
View attachment 2196821

Tape Deck Mount 2.jpg

Tape Deck Mount 4.jpg

Great read! I just sold my 60, and picked up a 1999 100 series, same color combo as your. Loving the progress and small projects. That skid plate set is next on my list.

Thanks, I learned to drive on a 60 so I have fond memories. Probably the reason I spent so much time trying to find the right hundy.

Steering wheel redone using the Loncky set up. Worked out pretty well. I took the wheel off so I could do it while watching TV or something. All told was about 4 hours of work.

Before:

IMG_20200222_160408.jpg

After:
IMG_20200223_220217.jpg

Reinstalled

IMG_20200224_143512.jpg

Color seems to match pretty well.

Pro Tip:

use the Duct Tape

IMG_20200223_163758.jpg

Some finishing details I did on It to tighten up the ends.

IMG_20200223_220246.jpg

Yup... I found an "old school" steering wheel puller a while back at a garage sale, best $5 I have spent! And to top it off, looked like it had been used once.
For your ram mount for the phone, why not get @BenCC to make you a mount for the knockout blank that is on the opposite side of the center diff lock and hazard button? If I didn't have an extra dash mount for my phone I would have him do that and then get one of the Ram Mount ball bases and then do the X-Grip system like you did.

Yup... I found an "old school" steering wheel puller a while back at a garage sale, best $5 I have spent! And to top it off, looked like it had been used once.
For your ram mount for the phone, why not get @BenCC to make you a mount for the knockout blank that is on the opposite side of the center diff lock and hazard button? If I didn't have an extra dash mount for my phone I would have him do that and then get one of the Ram Mount ball bases and then do the X-Grip system like you did.

That's a good idea, I'll look into it. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm probably digging too far back into this thread, but what did
painting wheels, and freshening up the undercarriage etc. New front OEM shocks (lift and extended shocks to come).

Before:
View attachment 2005995

After:

View attachment 2005996

Rear Before:

View attachment 2005997

After:

View attachment 2005998
I know I'm digging up some old stuff, but what did you use to "freshen" up your frame? I just moved to MO from the desert southwest, and am now learning about surface rust. I'd love to clean things up a bit on my LX, but I'm just not sure where to start. Is this just the result of a good cleaning, or did you use some paint here?

No worries, you can use a wire brush or an angle grinder with a wire brush. If its not too bad you can get away with some of the grey scrubby pads as well. My process is to clean and wipe down, then wire brush, then wipe down again, then paint with a good rust specific paint or coating. I use something like this generally as I live in the Southwest, and don't have to get too crazy with the cheese wiz.

Amazon product ASIN B003HG48AC
I have seen a quite a few of the mid-western and northeastern people (where there is a lot of humidity and salt) using Por 15 and a newer product called Fluid Film after cleaning and painting etc.

No worries, you can use a wire brush or an angle grinder with a wire brush. If its not too bad you can get away with some of the grey scrubby pads as well. My process is to clean and wipe down, then wire brush, then wipe down again, then paint with a good rust specific paint or coating. I use something like this generally as I live in the Southwest, and don't have to get too crazy with the cheese wiz.

Amazon product ASIN B003HG48AC
I have seen a quite a few of the mid-western and northeastern people (where there is a lot of humidity and salt) using Por 15 and a newer product called Fluid Film after cleaning and painting etc.
Awesome, thanks for the information! Yeah the midwest is a new world for me. It's hard to beat all the open space in the desert, and it was nice not having to worry about rust before. It looks like I'll be doing some painting when things warm up out here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom