Hummer EV and the 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@TeCKis300 do you think your EV provides the same visceral experience that your Porsche does?
I don’t think an ev can ever replace the sound and vibration from the screaming mechanical bits of an engine working.
I’ve owned a 996 turbo, GT3, gutted Super charged caged track s2000, Ferrari, and e55 AMG. For me the model 3 is more exciting then any of them on public roads and stoplight to stoplight. Track could be a different story but model 3’s are dominating many SCCA events, autocross (won nationals), trials, heck even pikes peak this year.

We’ve had a Tesla for almost 7 years in Alaska. 4 with an S and 2,5 with a 3. My closest supercharger is farther away from me then Atlanta to San Diego, we now have a whopping 7 public chargers in an area almost as big as the lower 48. I’ve had no issues making 250-300 mile round trips, never come close to running out of battery, no issues even in the -30’s F.

there are almost no places in the Lower 48 you would not be completely fine with a Tesla as you only vehicle. Even here in AK, I love my 200 but there is no way I will buy another gas vehicle, EVs are better in almost every way. All the talk about taking longer time to charge, garbage. Every time I get gas, probably 5 min, ok so 20-30 min a month, that’s 6 hours a year, I’ve spent 0 min charging my Tesla, only time we stop to charge on the road is to stop and eat, other then that charges while I sleep.

EVs are insanely efficient at slow speeds, probably will get close to rated range off roading. Do you drive >500 miles over a week in Moab?

As for speed In our LR AWD (not performance) I’ve smoked challengers, mustangs, corvettes, RS audis, heavily modded STIs, AMGs,... even at 40-50% SOC. Here is a video of my wife and her first run ever on a 1/4 mile, super late off the line and still beat a modded challenger RT on slicks, at <60% SOC on all season tires.

I mean, if we're sharing videos... :)

We’ve had a Tesla for almost 7 years in Alaska. 4 with an S and 2,5 with a 3. My closest supercharger is farther away from me then Atlanta to San Diego, we now have a whopping 7 public chargers in an area almost as big as the lower 48. I’ve had no issues making 250-300 mile round trips, never come close to running out of battery, no issues even in the -30’s F.

there are almost no places in the Lower 48 you would not be completely fine with a Tesla as you only vehicle. Even here in AK, I love my 200 but there is no way I will buy another gas vehicle, EVs are better in almost every way. All the talk about taking longer time to charge, garbage. Every time I get gas, probably 5 min, ok so 20-30 min a month, that’s 6 hours a year, I’ve spent 0 min charging my Tesla, only time we stop to charge on the road is to stop and eat, other then that charges while I sleep.

EVs are insanely efficient at slow speeds, probably will get close to rated range off roading. Do you drive >500 miles over a week in Moab?

As for speed In our LR AWD (not performance) I’ve smoked challengers, mustangs, corvettes, RS audis, heavily modded STIs, AMGs,... even at 40-50% SOC. Here is a video of my wife and her first run ever on a 1/4 mile, super late off the line and still beat a modded challenger RT on slicks, at <60% SOC on all season tires.

This is very helpful. I'm even more excited for the Hummer now!

I mean, if we're sharing videos... :)

Ridiculous isn't it? It's one thing to know EVs are fast, and a whole other thing to truly comprehend just how stupid powerful and fast they are.

Ram TRX is currently king of the truck hill with a pretty epic 3.9 second 0-60. That's absurd for a 7,000lb truck! For reference, LC200 is about 6.7 seconds.

The king will rule for all of a year before the new breed of 1000hp EV trucks come out. 3 and under 3 second 0-60s. :eek:

Since everyone is sharing videos of their favorite EVs:

And when you miss a supercharger station...this is what i am talking about...if you miss one stop, then you’re screwed with the current network of super chargers. And this was why my brother could not off-road with us for fear that we are too far away from a charger.

Go to mark 4:25 in the video:

We are all going to have to agree to disagree on this subject as it's very split in regards to support. Like anything it'll only get better with time. The platform has its major merits but it also has some major drawbacks as well, neither can be denied. Personally I find the Rivian to be the most appealing from an aesthetics standpoint, the Hummer looks great too but I am well known GM basher so I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on one.

I just looked up Tesla's supercharger network and I actually think I could make it work. I won't be sleeping tonight.

Geebers. The competition is ratcheting up. Even on the ICE side.

3rd gen Ford Raptor R being announced with - 37" tires factory. And probably a big boy v8 option.

I just looked up Tesla's supercharger network and I actually think I could make it work. I won't be sleeping tonight.

Here's an online tool to preview what it could be like. There's tons of other 3rd party chargers as well.

3rd gen Ford Raptor R being announced with - 37" tires factory. And probably a big boy v8 option.

Here's an online tool to preview what it could be like. There's tons of other 3rd party chargers as well.
I’m not surprised by Ford. A lot of people were disappointed when Ford decided to go with the V6 in the first place. Based on the reason why people want the Raptor is for the “bad a$$” chops it provides but slinging a V6 was a bizarre decision. I think an EV Raptor would be real compelling just based on the excitement over the Hummer response. Lots of big kids like myself love playing with RC trucks and driving one in Raptor form would be on my wishlist.

Based on the route from my house to the beach, it would take me almost an extra 2hrs and only save me $56 on fuel. The worst part is the actual location of the Supercharger stations. One is at Lowe’s, so now we will have to sit tight for 75+mins waiting for it to fully charge after sitting in the car for 4hrs. I checked other SC stations and they all seem to be around Target/Walmart shopping centers and not directly off freeway exits. So now, instead of getting to my destination in reasonable time, I’m chasing down SC stations in crappy locations with fast food junk as the option. It may not be the case in every area like LA, Bay Area. It would be cool to have SC stations with nice cafes right off the freeway. The target client of EVs are higher net worth people and putting them in near Walmart’s/Lowe’s doesn’t make sense. The next evolution of the battery has got to be 500mi+ range. That would make a strong argument for switching to EV...at least for me.

Based on what I'm seeing here, the next Land Cruiser better have 37s, 1000hp/1000tq, gas and electric drivetrain, all major subcomponents under $5k, sprinter like capacities...

All while maintaining steadfast reliability.

Lots of big kids like myself love playing with RC trucks and driving one in Raptor form would be on my wishlist.

This is one reason why I'm not on the EV bandwagon. As a kid I loved my RC cars/trucks. I loved building and playing with them.....but for only about 5 minutes at a time. Then it was back on the battery charger for an hour or two before you'd get another 5 minutes of playtime. That's all these EV's will ever be to me until this changes and also until people quit lying to themselves that these are so much more environmentally friendly than ICE vehicles.

This is one reason why I'm not on the EV bandwagon. As a kid I loved my RC cars/trucks. I loved building and playing with them.....but for only about 5 minutes at a time. Then it was back on the battery charger for an hour or two before you'd get another 5 minutes of playtime. That's all these EV's will ever be to me until this changes and also until people quit lying to themselves that these are so much more environmentally friendly than ICE vehicles.
Agree. Like an early commenter on here basically saying, if you’re concerned about the environment, keep your current vehicle until it’s ready for the scrap yard. So true! I think EV fans get hung up on 0-60 times and HP. It’s actually pretty ridiculous. Unless you plan on street racing like you’re 16, I am more interested in comfort, quality and reliability...all three Tesla fails on. They are the same people who think Land Rover has horrible reliability, yet Tesla is 2nd to last in that department and I’d much rather be cruising in a Range Rover then a Tesla any day.

Be like this guy, he’s literally driving this as his daily since day one “original owner”.

EA9FA185-82CF-4AFC-97EC-CF40F64E9466.jpeg

Agree. Like an early commenter on here basically saying, if you’re concerned about the environment, keep your current vehicle until it’s ready for the scrap yard. So true! I think EV fans get hung up on 0-60 times and HP. It’s actually pretty ridiculous. Unless you plan on street racing like you’re 16, I am more interested in comfort, quality and reliability...all three Tesla fails on. They are the same people who think Land Rover has horrible reliability, yet Tesla is 2nd to last in that department and I’d much rather be cruising in a Range Rover then a Tesla any day.

I've got two pinnacle ICE cars that I can compare and contrast to. Like others that have first hand experience with EVs, I may very well never buy another ICE car.

But thanks anyways for clarifying how much we must be suffering. :smokin:

Based on the route from my house to the beach, it would take me almost an extra 2hrs and only save me $56 on fuel. The worst part is the actual location of the Supercharger stations. One is at Lowe’s, so now we will have to sit tight for 75+mins waiting for it to fully charge after sitting in the car for 4hrs. I checked other SC stations and they all seem to be around Target/Walmart shopping centers and not directly off freeway exits. So now, instead of getting to my destination in reasonable time, I’m chasing down SC stations in crappy locations with fast food junk as the option. It may not be the case in every area like LA, Bay Area. It would be cool to have SC stations with nice cafes right off the freeway. The target client of EVs are higher net worth people and putting them in near Walmart’s/Lowe’s doesn’t make sense. The next evolution of the battery has got to be 500mi+ range. That would make a strong argument for switching to EV...at least for me.

Waiting 75mins for it to charge is the best case scenario, too. What if those chargers are occupied by other cars? What if they are broken and unusable? (I hear that happens quite frequently.)

I've got two pinnacle ICE cars that I can compare and contrast to. Like others that have first hand experience with EVs, I may very well never buy another ICE car.

But thanks anyways for clarifying how much we must be suffering.

But thanks anyways for clarifying how much we must be suffering. :smokin:
Think your bad weed has you believing something I never said. Suffering? Never mentioned or implied. That’s pretty amazing you own two pinnacle ICE vehicles. I can’t imagine what that must be like, man if you saw my garage a few years ago during my Luxury4play, Gold Rush days 🤣 Please, let’s be real, you’re basically driving an iPhone on wheels. 🤪Tesla exterior and interior design is nothing special. However, I have driven “not owned” Tesla’s many times. They are cool no doubt for the first few miles. For me, they are not....yet. I am not bashing EV, I think if you own one that’s great. But the issue with many Tesla owners, they think they are actually saving the planet and 0-60 times is what matters when comparing Tesla to an ICE. Maybe some people think that important but when you’re all grown up and have a family, speed is not that important. Cost comparison of the Tesla model x, the Range Rover is so much nicer. The model S vs a Mercedes S class, please the Merc is hands down a better touring car.

Think your bad weed has you believing something I never said. Suffering? Never mentioned or implied. That’s pretty amazing you own two pinnacle ICE vehicles. I can’t imagine what that must be like, man if you saw my garage a few years ago during my Luxury4play, Gold Rush days 🤣 Please, let’s be real, you’re basically driving an iPhone on wheels. 🤪Tesla exterior and interior design is nothing special. However, I have driven “not owned” Tesla’s many times. They are cool no doubt for the first few miles. For me, they are not....yet. I am not bashing EV, I think if you own one that’s great. But the issue with many Tesla owners, they think they are actually saving the planet and 0-60 times is what matters when comparing Tesla to an ICE. Maybe some people think that important but when you’re all grown up and have a family, speed is not that important. Cost comparison of the Tesla model x, the Range Rover is so much nicer. The model S vs a Mercedes S class, please the Merc is hands down a better touring car.

I think you mistake what this thread is about.

It's not about Tesla, Model anything, or existing models. It's about the Hummer and the next generation of EVs that will continue to leap forward and wipe the floor against what's available today. And maybe tomorrow's 300-series. I am very much also about the cruiser spirit and legacy and would like nothing more than see the 300-series succeed.

There's just no denying the momentum and accomplishments on the other side - despite their growing pains. It's fair to critique but yesterdays or today limitations don't define what the next generation EVs will be, because they will be proper beasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom