How's the LC200 refresh/8-speed holding up now that it's 4+ years old? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a great 6-years and counting ownership experience so far with my Tundra and missing lots of things about my old Jeep (but not the reliability, comfort, or space) I'm honing in on an LC200 for my next vehicle.

My question is - 2013-15 LC200 with the 6-speed, or one of the facelift models? The budget supports a new one if I have to do that, low miles used ones are hard to come by for obvious reasons, so it's more about which one can be an heirloom as I tend to keep vehicles a long time. Is the 8-speed holding up to LC reliability and durability standards now that it's been out and about for years? Any other uh-ohs? I have zero fear of the 5.7/6-speed after the canings the tundra has taken without complaint, and the track record is amainzg. Any input appreciated.

Thanks guys

After a great 6-years and counting ownership experience so far with my Tundra and missing lots of things about my old Jeep (but not the reliability, comfort, or space) I'm honing in on an LC200 for my next vehicle.

My question is - 2013-15 LC200 with the 6-speed, or one of the facelift models? The budget supports a new one if I have to do that, low miles used ones are hard to come by for obvious reasons, so it's more about which one can be an heirloom as I tend to keep vehicles a long time. Is the 8-speed holding up to LC reliability and durability standards now that it's been out and about for years? Any other uh-ohs? I have zero fear of the 5.7/6-speed after the canings the tundra has taken without complaint, and the track record is amainzg. Any input appreciated.

Thanks guys

Get one with the eight speed, it really transforms the way the truck drives.

I personally prefer the 6 speed. Tried and true, no problems. Some had tranny issues with the 8 speed earlier, not sure if it was resolved with a software flash. Given the world is still somewhat shutdown due to Covid19, 8 speed problems may be in hidden or lying low. The MAY resurface again once the pandemic is over and people are driving more again and start visiting the service departments more frequently. My opinion.

I personally prefer the 6 speed. Tried and true, no problems. Some had tranny issues with the 8 speed earlier, not sure if it was resolved with a software flash. Given the world is still somewhat shutdown due to Covid19, 8 speed problems may be in hidden or lying low. The MAY resurface again once the pandemic is over and people are driving more again and start visiting the service departments more frequently. My opinion.

Huh?

I just upgraded and I was a big fan of the 6 speed, but the 8 speed is so good. It does make the truck much more enjoyable to drive. I also did the TSB software update on it to smooth it out though.

:oops:

I have a 2016 and when I 1st got it, shifting was a bit too rough for me, but after having the transmission computer reflashed, it drives great!!!! Also for me the 2016 look exactly like the 2020 because of the hood restyle.... Love it or hate it.....

The 8spd sounds nice, and had to pass toyota durability testing, but the 6spd is SO good, and with the sheer number of them in tundras it has been SO proven.

At least initially toyota didn’t put the 8spd in cruisers in other markets. Did that change? I doubt we’ll ever get a solid answer on exactly why, though this board has been full of speculation.

If the transmission were the -only- difference I’d personally prefer the 6spd, due to the track record alone. But with that 8spd you get the updated and IMO much more attractive facelift, nicer seating and navigation, and quite a few other details. So combining the facelift and 8spd, I’d go 2016+ all day. But even with its clownish appearance I love my 2013 more than any other vehicle I’ve owned.

The 8spd sounds nice, and had to pass toyota durability testing, but the 6spd is SO good, and with the sheer number of them in tundras it has been SO proven.

At least initially toyota didn’t put the 8spd in cruisers in other markets. Did that change? I doubt we’ll ever get a solid answer on exactly why, though this board has been full of speculation.

If the transmission were the -only- difference I’d personally prefer the 6spd, due to the track record alone. But with that 8spd you get the updated and IMO much more attractive facelift, nicer seating and navigation, and quite a few other details. So combining the facelift and 8spd, I’d go 2016+ all day. But even with its clownish appearance I love my 2013 more than any other vehicle I’ve owned.

8 speed is offered in Middle East on 5.7L models.

Agree on 8 speed as being new but it’s no different than the 5 speed being new in 2003. Especially once the 3rd gen tundras get it too.

Would be a red flag to me if new Tundra did not receive same AE80F unit in Cruiser. I bought 8YR/125k mile warranty because of it and the electronics.

I love my 14 LX but the 8 speed has grown on me a lot. Engine always seems to be in power band and holds gears significantly better than the 6 speed. For example I was doing some spirited driving on winding roads and it held gears in the powerband in “D” and did not try to upshift at every chance it had.

If they reprogrammed it so that it didn’t downshift to 1st coasting below 10mph I’d like it more. I still think it’s clunkier than other Aisin AT boxes but I think it’s due to sheer number of gear changes.

I have 2016 with 8 never driven one with 6. I like the 8 the TSB fixed my 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st complaints. I tow with mine and use 6th for that as books say I should, 6th is 1:1. I am at 45K miles no issues to report. I live in Austin area and it will hold cruise speed in hills rpm change is only way I know that it changed gear. The ECT PWR button is cool I only ever use it towing but lot of folks on here use it all the time. I regally run 80+ and with 8 speed I am just under 2000rpm for that speed. Good luck with your purchase.

IMHO, the 8 speed is a fine transmission, as is the 6, the 5, and the 4. I've had them all in various Toyotas. For my frequent (like most of the time) towing miles, I much prefer the 8 speed. I really like the gear selection for towing, both up and down grades and in rough stuff. I did have the TSB performed that smoothed out the low end. As @04UZJ100 said so well, CC programming is not Toyota's strong point, regardless of tranny. 46K miles and counting......

Cruise control is still retarded on both transmissions.
Yup, CC is a dog. I will say the LX has a better brain somehow than the LC on cruise control though. Would've thought it would be from the same parts bin but evidently not. Toyota cruise control is the worst of any manufacturer I've ever driven. The same guy must do the cruise control and the infotainment...

Our 8-sp is now somewhere over 80,000 and of course runs like a sowing machine. I still think it is a smidgen shift-happy compared to the 6-sp but it is reliable & predictable.

I would have no qualms about the 8-speed as it's qualified and validated by Toyota. For a Land Cruiser.

Where the 2016+ and 8-speed earns its keep IMO, is off-road, big tires, big loads, and towing. It's low gearing is more tractable for heavy use. Especially when combining any of the above.

I also wouldn't discount the upgraded brakes of the 2016+ models. Again, especially for big tires and big loads.

Not that the 6-speeds are slouches in any way. Hardly so and I enjoy mine immensely. Just that we're talking "better" right?

I also wouldn't discount the upgraded brakes of the 2016+ models. Again, especially for big tires and big loads.

That is a big upgrade that is often overlooked. The 16+ accelerates and brakes better than any stock Land Cruiser without a doubt.

Some safety features?

From a Car & Driver article (8/15)...

New for ’16 is a safety suite called “Safety Sense-P” which includes a pre-collision system, pedestrian protection, and frontal collision avoidance. Lane-departure warning, auto high beams, and radar-based active cruise control also aid the driver.

IMHO, the 8 speed is a fine transmission, as is the 6, the 5, and the 4. I've had them all in various Toyotas. For my frequent (like most of the time) towing miles, I much prefer the 8 speed. I really like the gear selection for towing, both up and down grades and in rough stuff. I did have the TSB performed that smoothed out the low end. As @04UZJ100 said so well, CC programming is not Toyota's strong point, regardless of tranny. 46K miles and counting......
Not to sidetrack this conversation but since you tow with the 8 speed I have a question for you. Do you think it tows well as is or would a different rear gear make any improvements or would it be unnecessary?

I personally prefer the 6-speed however the 8-speed is a phenomenal transmission and I would choose a 2016+ every single time, given no budget restraints.

Great point! I'm a little surprised I overlooked that detail as the larger brakes are high on my list of desired upgrades.

Not to sidetrack this conversation but since you tow with the 8 speed I have a question for you. Do you think it tows well as is or would a different rear gear make any improvements or would it be unnecessary?
If it's relevant to the OP's decision, it's not a sidetrack! The 8 is great for towing. Plenty of gear selection for any situation. My wife is a virtuoso with the gear shift coming down mountain passes with 3500 lbs of trailer pushing, choosing just the right ratio to avoid the brakes and keep speed under control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom