How to tighten body mount?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The body mount under the driver's footwell in my LC is loose, i can hear and feel a clunk when I'm going around corners and it feels looser than the rest of the body mounts. I tried using a wrench on the first nut (the one closest to the bushing) and tightening the bolt from the top (under the plastic plug beneath the carpet) and the i got the bolt tight but the mount is still loose and clunking. What is the proper procedure to get a body mount tight on an 80?

Can you post up some photos showing the hardware, body mount, and body mount bracket? Is there a lot of rust on the undercarriage components?

Last edited:
Can you post up some photos showing the hardware, body mount, and body mount bracket? Is there a lot of rust on the undercarriage components?
IMG_6627.jpeg

IMG_6628.jpeg

IMG_6632.jpeg

IMG_6633.jpeg

Took a little more patience and ingenuity and i was able to tighten it more to the point where i couldnt twist the wrench anymore
IMG_6635.jpeg

It seems better but it's still clunking around somehow. Maybe will try to tighten it more tomorrow as i just drove 200 miles. Will see.

If you’ve diagnosed your noise properly you ikely have to replace your body mounts if they’re OG.
To loosen and tighten is intuitive.

If you’ve diagnosed your noise properly you ikely have to replace your body mounts if they’re OG.
To loosen and tighten is intuitive.
I was thinking of doing it just for peace of mind. Along with motor mounts. What's the process of replacing the body mounts?

Also, I'm 80% sure my noise is the mount. My exhaust and cats are very secure and I dont know what else could be clunking around down there. The steering column bushing(?) at the firewall is torn and needs to be taken care of but I think that just lets engine heat into the footwell.

I just did this on my 94 and I followed @baldilocks thread. I also have it documents in my thread.

Changing body mounts is easy as what you see in your picture (for the most part). Remove jam nut. Remove nut. Remove bolt. Elevate body. Remove and replace body mount.

Most locations are easy to access except #5 which was a bitch because it’s above the rear cross member. All it is is a JIS screw.

Keep in mind, although this job is easy, it is dangerous AF if you don’t have the right tools. I.e. a lift or posts to keep your body secure as you’re removing the body mounts. Just be safe and don’t be an idiot like me.

Also check your bushings on the sway bar, lower control arms, and panhard bar.

Also look for cracks in the frame or brackets below the steering gear.

Those can cause clunks under the driver's feet that feels like a body mount.

I had a similar clunk and started down the same path.

Mine was cracks under the steering gear.

Also check your bushings on the sway bar, lower control arms, and panhard bar.

Also look for cracks in the frame or brackets below the steering gear.

Those can cause clunks under the driver's feet that feels like a body mount.

I had a similar clunk and started down the same path.

Mine was cracks under the steering gear.
What was the solution or was there one?

I've eliminated most of the other common clunk causes and it seems like this might be a plausible cause for my annoying clunk - going to check after work today. Weirdest thing about my clunk is that it usually only happens when you are first starting to accelerate after initial start up. It goes away after driving a bit, and never clunks in relation to bumps/potholes. It's driving me crazy and getting progressively worse. It started as a rhythmic, predictable 2 clunk "cycle"; now it's random groups of 7-10 clunks during acceleration.

What was the solution or was there one?

I've eliminated most of the other common clunk causes and it seems like this might be a plausible cause for my annoying clunk - going to check after work today. Weirdest thing about my clunk is that it usually only happens when you are first starting to accelerate after initial start up. It goes away after driving a bit, and never clunks in relation to bumps/potholes. It's driving me crazy and getting progressively worse. It started as a rhythmic, predictable 2 clunk "cycle"; now it's random groups of 7-10 clunks during acceleration.
Well, I listed my solution for that one as cracks in the mount under the steering gear.

If you're experiencing acceleration clunks it could be other things.

For example, I had one that would ONLY happen after a long hot drive and only on my first stop after that long drive. Turns out it was a worn out yoke on the rear DS. The U-Joints were all original and DS was original with 345K miles on it. The PO NEVER greased it.

I could make it go away by greasing it. After one particularly long drive, I rolled under to grease it and I could physically misalign the DS by pushing on the DS perpendicular to the yoke, at the yoke and it moved about 1/16". Depending on how much crap I was carrying, it would have a different depth of insertion. There was a wear point inside the DS yoke it was hanging up and causing a clunk under acceleration as the flex in suspension pushed it past the wear point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom