How to test engine oil level sensor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I have been given a used engine oil level sensor to replace that in my 1HD-T engine (1994 HDJ 80), which is becoming playful. I would like to test it, but have not found a method so far. This is the sensor (part 89491-36080):

20230205_162554_resized.jpg

It has a connector with two poles, and the black thing on the right is a float that moves up and down. I assumed this would work like a float switch, a circuit being closed (or open) depending on the float. However, I have not been able to find any difference in the electrical continuity between poles whatever the position of the float. There is always continuity.

A new sensor will cost around 400 EUR and, beyond this detail, I would really like to know how it works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it really is that simple. Sounds like yours has a short. You might be able to learn more by changing your multi meter from continuity to resistance and see what's different, but you'd probably learn more by carefully inspecting and/or disassembling the sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom