How to reattached the rubber carpet guard in driver's footwell? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1662737020633.png

I stole the above image from Hudd Expo

The rubber pad is falling away from my carpet and annoys me. It gets between my foot and the gas peddle once in a while too. I have tried gluing it back in with a couple different contact cements and 777 spray adhesive. Nothing as worked so far.
I'm thinking of pop riveting it back in place, unless somebody's got a better idea. the area is so contaminated with various adhesives at this point, mechanical fastening may the only viable answer.

The bond is only going to be as strong as the weakest layer of adhesive.

I'd start by spraying adhesive remover and getting all the old stuff off.

I have no idea how those are bonded from the factory. Maybe call an auto upholstery shop and ask what they recommend. With no additional information, I'd be using DAP Landau top adhesive, but that's because I already have it laying around from other amateur upholstery projects.

View attachment 3110126

I stole the above image from Hudd Expo

The rubber pad is falling away from my carpet and annoys me. It gets between my foot and the gas peddle once in a while too. I have tried gluing it back in with a couple different contact cements and 777 spray adhesive. Nothing as worked so far.
I'm thinking of pop riveting it back in place, unless somebody's got a better idea. the area is so contaminated with various adhesives at this point, mechanical fastening may the only viable answer.
You need to use some lacquer thinners to soak and clean off the old glue.
Then use a quality contact cement, I use 3M 1300L or 847. Brush on 1 coat both surfaces and let dry. Brush on another coat, let it get dry tacky then press together.

Done

You need to use some lacquer thinners to soak and clean off the old glue.
Then use a quality contact cement, I use 3M 1300L or 847. Brush on 1 coat both surfaces and let dry. Brush on another coat, let it get dry tacky then press together.

Done
I use 1300L for this kinda stuff in airplanes all the time if you can get some toluene, cut the 1300L with this and make it thin like chicken broth. Put a couple coats on letting each dry. On final coat just wipe the area with toluene and stick it.

I was recommended the non- foaming Gorilla glue by an upholstery shop owner. Gonna try that this weekend.

I use 1300L for this kinda stuff in airplanes all the time if you can get some toluene, cut the 1300L with this and make it thin like chicken broth. Put a couple coats on letting each dry. On final coat just wipe the area with toluene and stick it.
Yup, that’s the way I put de-ice boots on all the time. Dat s*** ain’t ever coming off 😂

Sounds like a good solution to me. Thanks guys.

My foot pad came off the carpet a couple weeks ago while cleaning the carpet and was wondering the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom