How to move a bridgeport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
So I have the opportunity to get a free bridgeport. The only caveat is that I have to take care of moving it. I have the ability to load the machine with a forklift at the place I am picking it up at. I also have a goose neck trailer that I can borrow to move it to my shop if needed.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with moving a bridgeport before? How did you go about it? Did you use a company? I am having a difficult time finding a company that would want to move the machine. It's either too small of a job or too heavy for a standard moving company.

Thanks,
Alex

My dad and I bought a pallet jack and used that to move ours off the rollback it was delivered on. It was only really sketchy

Moving a bridgeport can be tricky because it's top-heavy. It helps to move the table all the way down and rotate the head upside down to get the weight as low as possible.

Gantry crane works well to pick things like this up. An engine crane can work as well, but you'll probably need to build an extension to the boom. That's what I did, worked well enough, but damaged the engine crane in the process.

Alternately, rent a drop deck trailer and when you get home, you can roll the bridgeport off with pipes. Once its on the floor, a prybar and pipes work well.

Good luck.

Remember, metal on metal is dangerous. Wood on metal is safe. Put wood between forks or anything and the mill.

Mill should weigh about 1500#.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom