How to mount a bull bar on an LC80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

So I have an 80 here with an OEM winch, and I managed to find a bull bar that looks exactly like what I wanted (I wanted to preserve the OEM look, so did not want to replace the bumper). But I'm in a bit of a conundrum on how to mount it. Looking at the mounts on the bar, the bottom bracket seems to align with the under-body frame mounts (where the extraction hooks go), so that's fine. But looking at the structure of the bar, I think it needs a mount on _top_ as well, but where do I attach that? Looking at the bumper, there is a sort of mount point for the bumper itself - but it does not align at all (bull bar's mount points are about 65cm apart, the bumper's screw mounts are like 85cm, so way too wide). Am I missing a bracket for the bull bar? Do I need to concoct something? Or am I missing something obvious?

Appreciate any help!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That is not a "bull bar".
That is what's called a "damage multiplier". Any hit to the front of the vehicle will cause it to fold into the hood and fenders causing more damage. It is cosmetic, not structural.

That is not a "bull bar".
That is what's called a "damage multiplier". Any hit to the front of the vehicle will cause it to fold into the hood and fenders causing more damage. It is cosmetic, not structural.
Interesting. Yes, I can see your point. But that’s why there is an upper mount point, no? It would, in principle, be mounted on 4 mounts and sort of distribute the impact? I mean okay, also, this is what I kind of have, so I have to work with what I got. :)

Interesting. Yes, I can see your point. But that’s why there is an upper mount point, no? It would, in principle, be mounted on 4 mounts and sort of distribute the impact? I mean okay, also, this is what I kind of have, so I have to work with what I got. :)

Most do not have an upper mount. The other thing is, the radiator support isn't designed to handle an impact. I believe crumple zones became an industry standard after the 80 series; the sheet metal will still crumple with the top mounts. Like @jonheld said, a brush guard is a damage multiplier. They're more for looks, and add minimal brush protection to the front end.
You certainly can install it, as it's your rig. However, many on here would discourage it. Parts are getting harder to find. A front impact could total your vehicle easier with the brush guard, rather than not having it.
Search "damage multiplier" for threads with pictures

Most do not have an upper mount. The other thing is, the radiator support isn't designed to handle an impact. I believe crumple zones became an industry standard after the 80 series; the sheet metal will still crumple with the top mounts. Like @jonheld said, a brush guard is a damage multiplier. They're more for looks, and add minimal brush protection to the front end.
You certainly can install it, as it's your rig. However, many on here would discourage it. Parts are getting harder to find. A front impact could total your vehicle easier with the brush guard, rather than not having it.
Search "damage multiplier" for threads with pictures

Yes - this also makes sense. But if I’m seeing the setup correctly, this would use an upper mount to attach to the bumper, not the radiator support - at least that’s what I’m thinking goes there based on my photos. I felt that something was off when I first looked at it, as I completely agree a bottom-only mount is nonsensical … so I guess I’m trying to salvage something here. I guess I sort of do have my answer, though - there isn’t a “good” way to mount it …

Yes - this also makes sense. But if I’m seeing the setup correctly, this would use an upper mount to attach to the bumper, not the radiator support - at least that’s what I’m thinking goes there based on my photos. I felt that something was off when I first looked at it, as I completely agree a bottom-only mount is nonsensical … so I guess I’m trying to salvage something here. I guess I sort of do have my answer, though - there isn’t a “good” way to mount it …

The highest mount is still very low. The top bar and wing bars are going to buckle if hit by something like a deer or car. They're going to cave into the fenders and hood and cause some serious damage.

To preserve the OEM look, don't use that so called brush guard.

If you want a bullbar for added front end protection, buy the real thing. :cheers:

Yeah OK, I feel like I got my first lesson clearly handed to me :) Fair enough. I’ll have to see what I can do. I haven’t seen any ARB bumpers for sale, and anyway, the OEM winch doesn’t fit them easily … hrm.

Yeah OK, I feel like I got my first lesson clearly handed to me :) Fair enough. I’ll have to see what I can do. I haven’t seen any ARB bumpers for sale, and anyway, the OEM winch doesn’t fit them easily … hrm.

Arb's are ugly anyways ;)

Why are you trying to add a bar?

My 80 has a bull bar and it has since about 1996. Looks weird without it. Unfortunately, it is a damage multiplier. Took a ~5mph hit from an Audi in the front left and it slightly bent the front bumper (since it's about as thick as aluminum foil) and the headlight part of the grille guard came back and dented my fender pretty good. Offroading, it definitely takes hits from overgrowth well and would certainly fend off a shopping cart or very low speed straight on bump, but i can confirm it makes everything worse outside of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom