How to maintain a car that is left out in the cold and can't be driven for a few weeks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I don't know if this is 100 series specific but I'm looking for some advice on how to maintain my 100 series in the cold when I'm not allowed to drive anywhere.

Here's the situation: Where I live we're currently under a strict quarantine lockdown and nobody is allowed to drive unless you have a special pass (which I don't have). I keep my car parked outside on the street and we're seeing temperatures as low as -40 this week. During the day I think we're at something like -20F. Sometimes a bit warmer.

Here's the vehicle situation: I have a 2000 V8 petrol 100 series. In the back of the car under drawers I have 2x 100AH auxiliary batteries in addition to the starter battery. I have a chinese coolant heater (like a webasto) that's hooked up to the aux batteries. I also have 70 watts of solar on the roof that can trickle charge both the aux and starter batteries, but this time of year and with the snow it's been putting in something like 0.1A at noon-- so practically useless. I park on the street with no electrical hookups nearby.

We were under lockdown for about 3 weeks--during that time I went out to start the car for about an hour once a week to warm it up and charge up the batteries. Once when my webasto gsm remote wasn't working I started it up without preheating and it was pretty sluggish to get going. Is starting it up like that to maintain the batteries a good thing? Or am I doing more harm than good by starting it up and just idling it without driving anywhere? It looks like our lockdown is going to be extended even more so I'm hoping to do everything I can to make sure my car will start and run well when I'm finally allowed to use it again.

Running an engine at idle only doesn’t do much good either.
I would be tempted to disconnect the battery and invest in a good power pack when lockdown ends (if required). My car is kept at an airport underground car park and due to covid remained unused for 3-4 months at time. It has twin batteries and started right on the button (temp was much warmer than yours). When we head back this week end I will disconnect batteries and that is it.

If you're concerned about the health of your batteries, disconnect it and bring it inside your house and keep it there instead. Extreme cold or heat will kill your battery, a cruiser can be left there until it is a little warmer. That's what i do when i winterize my mercedes for the 4 months winter that i don't drive it, remove batteries and put it at room temperature, a fully charged battery can stay on the shelf for 8+ months and be fine. I know the frustration of not being able to drive your cruiser, hope this nightmare ends soon and the world opens back up again. Your cruiser will be fine sitting there for a couple months as well.

Thanks for the tips. I think bringing the batteries inside is a good suggestion--I'm just not looking forward to lugging 3x batteries up my stairs! Better that than them discharging too much and freezing.

Ditto on bringing them in, otherwise probably will need to buy 3 new ones.
Starting in that cold takes a lot of juice and alternator does not put out much at idle, so probably not really gaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom