How to: Get lights to shut off with ignition on 1992 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
After the second time of my son leaving his lights on in his 1992 FJ80 I need to convert his lights to shut off with the ignition like in the 93-97 version.

I’ve seen the relays/modules on amazon that you can get to do this BUT if it is plug and play with the later models of 80s I’d rather do that. Anyone know how to do this?

(I have googled and have found the buzzer mod but I don’t want a buzzer, I want them to shut off)

Take the headlight fuse power source wire and tap it to a power source that only comes on on the ACC position.

Duh! This is genius!!

Thanks!

Here's the difference between the '92 and '95 (resp.):
upload_2017-11-14_14-13-38.png

upload_2017-11-14_14-13-59.png

So, in the later models, between the headlight relay and the combination switch, there are two, inline, components. First the D7 diode and second the L1 light retainer relay (follow the R/W wire from the h/l relay to the combo sw). These are two are the only difference I can see in the two circuits.

That's not to say you can't rewire the headlights to do what you want, but I interpreted your question to mean what can you do to a '92 to make it work like a later model. This is what Mr. T did. You should be able to scare up the parts from a donor truck.

HTH

If you can wait until this weekend, I have to spend the day crawling over various areas of my '95 and can post a photo (or two) of the parts you need and their locations. This will help you on your next graverobbing adventure.

:hmm:

@LS1FJ40 if you haven’t already figured it out, I can probably source new components and wire together something that is plug-n-play. Since your phone call about this I added to my list and read thru what the 60 folks have done. I have a feeling this will work for both.

Or that...

Any "simple" solution for the headlights will create two issues.

1. The running lights will still remain on, it's a separate circuit.

2. You won't be able to turn on the headlights UNLESS the key is on.

The light retainer relay on the later models is a fancy logic controller that addresses these issues.

Diagram is from the '96 EWD.

Attachments

• 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser EWD 88.pdf
    117.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
3 40s and 2 80s? I thought I had a land cruiser problem.

3 40s and 2 80s? I thought I had a land cruiser problem.

He kinda does it for a living though. That’s the difference...

Does the '92 have the power window relay? (The one that shuts off when you open the door.)

You could use the output from that relay to control an additional relay installed on the GROUND side of your Light Control Switch (C15, pin 11). This ground is common to both the headlights and running lights. The "flash" mode will still remain functional when the key is off.

Relay added here:
'92 Headlight Mod.png

Negative on the relay. Turn off the key, no power to windows. Unlike the 93+ where there is power until you open the door or 20 secs (+/-)

Negative on the relay. Turn off the key, no power to windows. Unlike the 93+ where there is power until you open the door or 20 secs (+/-)

It should still work though, using any other ignition source to control the new relay in the diagram above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom