How to fool TPMS when running a low PSI spare or No Spare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
tl/dr: 2012 460. Spare only fits in factory location when aired down to 5psi. Use a TPMS sensor with a clip on it, throw it in back. Don't build pipe bombs. :D

I was only able to fit my 265/70 17 Wildpeak in the factory spare tire location after airing it down to 5 PSI. Of course this sets off the TPMS light. Yeah yeah, I still want this feature and don't want to put "tape" over the light. I have the tool to upload TPMS sensor IDs. I tried using 000000000 and FFFFFFF as the spare tire sensor ID but neither worked and the light still came on. I'm guessing the GX has to have 5 working sensors. Although I'm still curious if the spare can be disabled using Techstream.

I read on the web where someone used a clip on a sensor to simulate air pressure. I was also able to get this to work and wanted to share my setup. I took one of the old sensors off the stock wheels and at first used a c-clamp on it. This worked once, but I think I broke the sensor at some point using to much clamping force. In looking though my clamp collection, I found a Harbor Freight spring clamp. This worked and doesn't have too much force. I prefer using this method much more than building some kind of PVC pressurized tube aka pipe bomb. Hopefully this post will help someone in the future.

Pic of clamp. Spring has to go on the opposite side of where the ID number is.
IMG_20210330_142318.jpg

Spring Clamp: 3-1/2 in. Nylon Spring Clamp - https://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69289.html

TPMS Tool: ATEQ Quickset Light TPMS Reset Tool - https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/products/quickset-light-tpms-reset-tool/

Last edited:
You probably could of used a binder clip also!
Cheaper or you may even have one lying round in a desk drawer? :meh:

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I had the same problem but managed to fit the same tire in the stock location fully aired up by cutting the metal tab back 3/8" at the back of the tire well on the factory hitch using a cutoff wheel. It gave us just enough extra clearance to fully air up and like you, we couldn't air it up without rubbing on the swaybar before cutting (for good hygiene don't forget to prime or paint the cut). I've heard of others loosening the hitch bolts and pushing the hitch out getting another few sixteenths of space as well.

For what it's worth, I had the same problem but managed to fit the same tire in the stock location fully aired up by cutting the metal tab back 3/8" at the back of the tire well on the factory hitch using a cutoff wheel. It gave us just enough extra clearance to fully air up and like you, we couldn't air it up without rubbing on the swaybar before cutting (for good hygiene don't forget to prime or paint the cut). I've heard of others loosening the hitch bolts and pushing the hitch out getting another few sixteenths of space as well.
Can you shoot a picture of this?

Another person here posted the idea from their 4Runner. The thread with pics can be found HERE. The cut is almost the same on the GX. Post #27.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom