How to determine rocker arm wear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a new rocker arm shaft and new arm bushings from SOR and am waiting to install them. I have inspected the arms where they hit the valve stem, but am not sure how much wear is too much wear. can these be resurfaced or sanded down? Also, how much wear is too much on the ends of the valve adjustment screws where they hit the pushrods? Thanks guys.
Ive got three sets of complete rocker assemblies and am trying to pick and match the best of what Ive got..
Mike

I would look for obvious wear. Usually they are fine. I would say if you dont see somthing that worries you go with. You can hit them with a file to clean them up a bit.

Thanks David,

I cleand up the ones that looked the best today, but the problem I am now having is that I cant get the new rocker arm bushings in. I used a 15mm socket to drive one out, then tapped a new one in, and it wont even fit on the new shaft.. Do these have to be professionally pressed in? I dont understand why it wont fit, its not buggered up or anything. I even impressed myself by getting the oiler holes lined up!! Ha Ha! Thanks guys.

Mike

I only replace the shaft when I see real wear. I dont do it as a matter of course. If your original shaft was worn then the rocker bushings should be replaced. If it was OK then you could go with what you have. Last time I changed the bushings I had the shop do it. They pressed in the new bushings then used a drum style sander to ream out the inside to fit the new shaft. The inside must be round so you cant do it by hand. If they look OK, you did not have severe wear on the shaft, and they do not rock side to side when slid on the new shaft I would go with them as is. Happy to send you a replacement rocker for the one you already did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom