How to determine break fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to determine how to find out where the brake fluid is coming from. It is a 1976 FJ40. The smaller resivoir is dropping in fluid and you can see from the photos where the fluid is peeling the paint. It has a Bendix Master Vac Booster (is this stock). The brakes seem to work fine when it is full of fluid. What would be the process of trying to fix this? Has anyone had this same type leak?
DSC_0132.jpg
DSC_0133.jpg
DSC_0135.jpg

Looks to me like it's coming from the inner seal. I would say you need a rebuild kit for your master or a new one to fix the problem.

Brake master cylinder is leaking, and by the looks of it, for a while now.

Replace it.

Thanks for the input, the aftermarket master cylinders are much less, is their a difference betwwen them or OEM? Any recommendations?

New OEM is what I install on my vehicles....

:beer:

I got the CCOT master a year ago and it just started leaking at the booster like yours. I just ordered the OEM master from Toyota.

Kevin

Call Cdan at American Toyota, he might be able to give you a better price.
Cruiser Dan at American Toyota Phone is 1-800-432-6668 ext. 8

HI
I had same for my FJ40 1980
the oil leak is from the back side of master cylinder you need to install a new repai kit
check if the inside of master is warn you need to replace it all

thanks

I ended up ordering the BECK/ARNLEY master Cylinder. I saw from another post that it is made by AISIN, which is the same one sold by Toyota. It was on closeout for $68 with resivoirs and pressure switches.

Make sure you spray everything down with brake cleaner after your done to kinda relieve some of the peeling...

You might want to start thinking about a replacement booster, also. Chances are, brake fluid is leaking into the booster and destroying the diaphram. Lots of choices for a new booster - fj60, mini truck, etc. I would do it now while you have everything apart rather than putting in a new m/c and then tearing it apart again to replace the booster.

Good luck! :cheers:

Where do I get the piece that is betwen the master and the booster

In picture 2 the connection that is below the master cylinder and between the master and brake booster is pretty rusty, I can't seem to find the name of this part or where to purchase it. Any suggestions?

You are right it is called the brake porpotioning valve, SOR wants $75 for a used one. So I orded an adjustable one from Summit for $40. The one I have is probably still good but I like the ease of adjustment on the one by summit.

You are right it is called the brake porpotioning valve, SOR wants $75 for a used one. So I orded an adjustable one from Summit for $40. The one I have is probably still good but I like the ease of adjustment on the one by summit.

If you are not installing rear disc brakes, there is no reason to go through the trouble of fabricating a mounting point/bracket and fabricating new fluid lines to install an adjustable proportioning valve in your current stock braking system.

Install your new brake master cylinder, bleed your brakes and be done with the job.

In the 20+ years that I have been working on Land Cruisers, I have not ever replaced that component due to failure in a stock brake system.

:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom