How to change the ignition cylinder? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone share what the trick is to change out the ignition cylinder? The current one likes to "spit" the key out at any given moment which can make for a fun interior search.

Take off the plastic cover surround, insert the key and turn to acc. Then with a small pic push in on the detent twds the top of the housing. Should pull right out.

It sounds possessed.

Insert the ignition key, turn to ACC, push in the tiny pin on the housing with a strong thin punch, and it should pull out from the column as a complete unit.

that worked perfect!! Only now what do you do when the key turns to the start position and locks up before its re installed?? - now cant get it unlocked?? another thanks to the kiddo. ERR. love my boys wanting to be in garage but sometimes very frustrating.

Sounds like your key or lockset are quite worn. Try tapping it on a hard surface, while turning the key back and forth. I hand-filed a new key for my FJ55, as the keys were so worn that they would shoot out of the ign and across the truck when making a left-hand turn. The new, hand-filed key (both sides) worked well. You can (or could) buy uncut key blanks at the dealer.

I'm thinking about replacing my ignition cylinder, as my key comes off as well. However, if I change it, I'll end up with a different key for the ignition vs. the doors and the fuel door.

A good locksmith can re-key doors, etc. I found one. It wasn't cheap...

There are a couple people that can cut keys by the number on here.

I've been told it's on the passenger side door lock cylinder (may be wrong). I've got a key that likes to fall out as well and hope to just have a key cut instead of replacing the ignition.
I figure I'll try the cheaper way of getting a key cut before replacing the whole assembly.
My local ace hardware had the correct size and copied the key I have now but since mine is to far worn down the copy was as well and falls right out.

Fixing this issue is on my todo list as well. I was worried before I got the floor replaced the key was going to fall out the hole.

I'm thinking about replacing my ignition cylinder, as my key comes off as well. However, if I change it, I'll end up with a different key for the ignition vs. the doors and the fuel door.

Actually a good locksmith can rekey the rest of the locks to match. I was quoted 20.00 to do so.

New blinkers worked for a day:meh: but i did also manage to change out the ignition and now have a key that doesn't eject at will. "So I got that going for me"

Thanks to everyone for all the tips. Looks like I'll be chasing electrical problems next. :poof:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom