How much to get new key cut from VIN??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, let me tell you all that I am a dumbass. Drive to trail to go running, get out of truck, see that hide-a-key box is in proper location, lock keys in truck. Get back from run, open hide-a-key box, no key. #@&*!!!!

I'm guessing my spare is in the highly secure console within the truck, and I have no other spare.

So...how much is the dealer going to charge me to cut a key for a '97 80 from the VIN?

Last edited:
It'll depend upon whether there's a transponder in the key or not, plus what the local dealer will rob you for.

Get the key from Dan and program it yourself if it requires programming.

Let's see - $75 to $100 for a locksmith to open it, or much less (I would assume) to get a extra spare key made and open it myself. And why wouldn't this belong in the 80-tech?

Sorry, I just realized I did not mention it was a 97 80. First post edited.

I know my insurance company would cover Towing and Locksmith services.. so the cost in that case would be free...

In order for a dealer to cut a key for you using the VIN you will need to present photo ID and proof of ownership of the vehicle. Proof of ownership can be: Title, registration or current insurance. The name on the ID and on the vehicle paperwork must match. .

I zip tie a spare key to the wiring harness under the truck. I needed it last week. After a dozen wheeling trips, there it was.

Well this is very nice to know if I every break down in your area..... :)

just had one made for my 97 at the dealer as i wanted a 'fresh cut', not a copy of copy worn out, etc...

$8 at dealer, no id, nothing. they acted like they never do it and didn't really want to do it, etc. also key had to be ordered.

jc

Not bad! Just got back from the dealer - $8 for them to make me a new key from the VIN, so I had them make 2. He checked my title and driver's license, cut the keys, and I was out the door in 5 minutes.

What I did when my new to me LC's key was too worn to unlock doors was get a key cut from the dealer with the VIN for $8, then go to walmart with that same key and have a copy to 2 made for $.97 each :)

And the dealer didn't check my ID or anything either.. so thats why I've put electrical tape over the VIN in the dash and hopefully all the other body panel VINs are concealed well enough.

good idea putting tape over the tag.
just for grins, i think i might try this with my roommates 96 LC. maybe move it a couple of spots down the road just to freak him out. hehehe...

I think it is illegal to cover the vin tag but I can see why you would want to. of course you could change the locks and it wouldn't matter....:D

A dealer SHOULD NOT cut a key by accessing the code thru the VIN without ID and proof of ownership. Cutting a key when the code it's self is provided by the person requesting the key is a different matter.

Hi Dan,

How much do key blanks go for? I had the dealer cut me some keys once and they used some generic key blank. Also they too didn't check ID or anything. Just needed the VIN.

Of course this is the second dealer I went to to do this. The first dealer told me it wasn't possible to make a key for me with the VIN. I don't plan on going back to the first dealer ever. The second I go to only if I need a quick part. I think we can guess where usually I go to to get my parts ;)

The OEM blank masters with the black top (80 series) list for $9.22 each.

I hear from you on occasion....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom