How much to get new key cut from VIN??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Didn't need any ID? That's criminal. So I could get the VIN from your rig parked in front of your house, (it's illegal to put something over your VIN plate on your dash) go to that dealer and have a key cut for your Cruiser?

What's the name of that dealer and where do you live? :D

seriously, that's wrong.

Oops. Just read back and read all the same stuff i just said. it is illegal to cover your VIN with electrical tape. The police need to be able to check the VIN when they are looking for stolen vehicles.

Yep, my dealer told me that I not only needed the VIN, but I also needed the code off of the passenger door lock. YES! that requires taking the door panel off and using a mirror to get to. Needless to say, I still have a set of keys that is severely worn down. Plus he said judging by my keys, my doors and igniton are most likely so worn that new keys cut from the VIN will no longer work. I'd need new locks and ignition! I believe him too, as my passenger side door which is rarely used, will only barely unlock with my worn down key. It takes a few wiggles for it to unlock... my experience

Like my grandfather always told us, "Locks only keep out honest people." ;)

Sad but true...

probably the next best thing to a keeping your doors locked would be having a pet rattlesnake to leave inside the cabin...

bderks said:
First, let me tell you all that I am a dumbass. Drive to trail to go running, get out of truck, see that hide-a-key box is in proper location, lock keys in truck. Get back from run, open hide-a-key box, no key. #@&*!!!!

I'm guessing my spare is in the highly secure console within the truck, and I have no other spare.

So...how much is the dealer going to charge me to cut a key for a '97 80 from the VIN?

GOT AAA? :whoops:

Land Speeder said:
Needless to say, I still have a set of keys that is severely worn down. Plus he said judging by my keys, my doors and igniton are most likely so worn that new keys cut from the VIN will no longer work. I'd need new locks and ignition! I believe him too, as my passenger side door which is rarely used, will only barely unlock with my worn down key. It takes a few wiggles for it to unlock... my experience

Actually that is why I had a new key cut for my 94. My remote stopped working temporarily and I couldn't get in to the rig the night I bought it (until I wiggled the remote battery) But I had a new key cut from the VIN and it worked in every lock and ignition. I really wish the ignition was more worn.. then I could go outside like I used to do with my 4runner.. start it up to warm up, and pull the key out and lock it up.

Also I haven't put tape over it yet.. but Air FOrce base stickers do a very good job of covering it all when they are on the windsheild. They don't directly cover it.. but put a big enough vendor sticker or what not on the windshield in that spot, and block the view.. indirectly :) And if its illegal to cover it.. then why do they sell sun shades or even dash mats?? I appreciate you guys telling me its illegal.. but I'd rather have a ticket than a stolen truck.. I'll let you know if a cop ever gives me a ticket for covering it, until then.. its covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom