How much to budget for frame and underbody rust repair? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I'm getting the itch for a landcruiser. Have been cruising the local classifieds for a while. I came across an 82 BJ60 3B diesel, 4 sp for $2600 CDN, 315 K kms (is that high?). It does have some underbody rust and frame rust, though the body is free of rust. I will have a better idea once I see it in person. Engine and drivetrain are running strong, with an upgraded cooling system. There is a small fuel tank leak apparently.

Now I'm expecting to put some money to make the repairs. The thing that I don't know about most is repairing/replacing underbody and frame. Is the price worth it? It seems like a good deal to me.

It will be replacing our daily driver family vehicle , so reliability is key. I'd like to get a car with some ability to go off the beaten path for camping/fishing, but most of it will be in the city. I just don't know how much to prepare to spend. Any suggestions for guys to do this in the Vancouver, BC area?

Thanks in advance from a newbie!

I had the rust removed from my '82 BJ60 at Boyd Autobody in Tsawassen. Talk to Peter the owner, if he is still there. I would trust his opinion completely. He worked on my truck probably 10 years ago (Peter had a different shop then) and it is still good.

Frame rust is the big problem with all '60 series Cruisers. I solved my frame rust by replacing the frame and I'd suggest you do the same. Peter patched mine several times but eventually he said that there was nothing more he could do and a frame swap was all that would save the truck.

G&Scruiserparts.com in Abbotsford can supply a frame but labour in Canada and the USA is NOT cheap. You can also do as I did and get a frame swap in Central America. Search for "'60 series frame swap" and you'll see the writeup I did.

btw. The initial rust repair on my truck 10 years ago was $7000! It's NOT cheap like I was saying. You CAN do it cheap OR you can do it well but you can't get both in Canada/USA.

Cruiser_guy, thanks for the info. I saw your other post and that inspired me. But $7K to have it done locally huh !!!!?!?! Wow! I was expecting $3K or something like that. How much would a frame run from G&S (guesstimate) without labor?

Hmm, maybe have to rethink it then. What do you think about the car itself? Is that price in line with what you would expect of that age/condition? thx

Chunky, you should check out the for sale section asap, guy in seattle is offering a cleaned/powdercoated frame for 600 bucks. Sounds a hell of a lot better than going to south america to get one to me!

Matt

Frame costs are about $500 - 600 but that's not the problem, the problem is labour at $60 - 70/hour! A frame swap is a 40 hour job, more or less and will usually require several bodies. 40 hours (assuming just one person) times $70 is $2800 and that is a minimum! You need to look at the work involved in QUALITY body work. It's time consuming and when you're paying someone for it it's also expensive at home.

As for the price of the truck $2600 sounds good to me. I certainly won't be selling my truck for that price any time soon and I have a mere 450,000 km's on it!

WEll, the owner sent me some pics of the underside. I don't think it's as scary as I thought. The underbody looks the worst, not the frame. Although I'll be taking a look in a few hours for a better feel. Here are some pics of the underside:
Frame-rear-left.JPG

Frame-underbody.JPG

Frame.JPG

And a shot of the body (which doesn't seem too bad form the pics):
http://www3.telus.net/ajcheung/82-Cruiser_ZipFile/A2-Front-right.JPG

what do you think? From the pics, my mechanic friend says the frame actually doens't look too bad.

Outside framerail pictures are not a good indicator. Looks like some extra plate is on there right now anyway, by the rear spring hanger. I would suggest the inner rail has been patched already. You have to get underneath and take a screwdriver to it.

Good 6* series frames in BC are currently running around $1000.00 Cdn. I can not quote you a body swap, however call Rob 604-278-3540 (Richmond) or Ciaran at 604-514-3716 (South Langley) for two guys who work on Cruisers full time and can walk you through the details.

The frame can be replaced as mentioned, however make sure the body mounts and support structures are 100%. If not, walk away imo if you are looking at a long term family hauler. You can still find good Cdn cruisers with little body rust, but not easily. What about a rust free (or next best too) RHD HJ61, or buy a rust free FJ60/62 and transplant a diesel driveline into it?

If you are not enamored with RHD, then consider buying a clean RHD with all the options you want, and talk with Ciaran about a firewall swap. Take a look at the one he has going on in his shop too.

If you have some skills with a welder, and a shop to work you can do a swap and body repair for much less the Charles is suggesting. If you have someone else do the work, make sure they get in behind every patch and protect the metal and seams.

The 1982 does not have a 5spd, nor power steering.

Don't jump, move slow, do your research, talk to the locals and sift this board. You are welcome to come out and visit to chew the fat any time. You may also want to attend our next Coastal Cruiser meeting (in Richmond next Thur) to meet some cruiserheads and pick more brains. It is held at Robs shop.

Enough rambling. This has potential for a long conversation...

hth's

gb

I agree with Greg. The rear spring hanger DEFINITELY has been repaired. The angle iron behind it is not stock. Look CLOSELY at the rear shock tube mounts and that area. It's the rear of the frame that is the problem NOT the front and the inside edges of the frame rail not the outside.

There appears to be cancer on the underbody in the second picture too!

Areas to look at in the '60 are the rear wheel wells under the carpet and vinyl trim in those areas.

I've done work on a '55 and I am currently working on a '45 it's time consuming work.

There is something funky going on with the rockers too, though it is hard to tell what from that picture. At 1st glance that truck says to me...."parts truck", and at that it does not have an H55F or PS. Compression and oil pressure? Springs look done, and knuckles probably need looking at (if not done recently).

hth's

gb

Yup, lots of work to do on this truck. I'd look at it as buying an engine with some body parts attached to it. Engine drove fine. Drivetrain seemed ok. The steering was a quite off-center, but didn't pull.

But body was pretty bad at the rockers and door bottoms. The rockers were disintegrated and repaired with sheet metal riveted in on both sides. The bottom of doors were fiberglass and duct-taped, with a little rust showing through the driver door. The underbody had rusting away. Clean through to passenger compartment at the RR entry. The RL wheel well was rotting at the corner. It was rear ended, so the rear bumper was pushed in. And that's just the body.

The frame had been repaired, as greb b said, at the spring perches on both sides. the inner side of the frames were rotting away (about 3" hole in one section). I stuck my finger into a couple of holes in the frame and all I felt was rust chips. One of the cross-members (is that the beam that crosses in the middle of truck underboy?) was only half there.

Plus, it was registered outside of the LM, so no air care. I'll need a clean truck if it's going to be daily driver. PLus, I realized no PS so my wife won't be able to handle it. Maybe I'll have to rethink this and shoot for a FJ 80? thanks so much for the input! You guys are great. I'll have to try and hook up at a meet to learn a bit more about these beasts some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom