How much does differential and transfer case fluid change usually cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nope. diffs use 75W-85 or 75W-90, which is cheap.

transfer case uses 75W LF, which is $$$. There are some non-Toyota options now which are cheaper. You probably can run 75W-90 but it's not the spec fluid
Unless your dealer’s Express Lube Lane uses marginally trained people and then it’s just 75w-90 from the big tank out back in everything. :censor:

nope. diffs use 75W-85 or 75W-90, which is cheap.

transfer case uses 75W LF, which is $$$. There are some non-Toyota options now which are cheaper. You probably can run 75W-90 but it's not the spec fluid
To be clear, this is only partially correct.

If you have a 2008, 2009, or first part of 2010, the Owners Manual states 75w-90 for the TC and 75w-85 for diffs.

If you have a late-2010 or newer, the Owners Manual states 75w for TC.

I paid $400 in labor to have both diffs and the t-case fluids changed, I provided the fluids. That's probably a bit steep but they topped off all other fluids and greased the drive shafts and UCA's as well. I dropped it off and picked it up same day and I didn't have to get dirty or dispose of the fluids so it worked for me. I do my own oil changes though and plan to every 7K miles going forward. Once I hit 100K miles I'll likely do the OCI's every 5K miles.

Same as Tex, my service was approx $450 for both diffs and T-case—since I didn’t provide fluids. They used Toyota spec fluids (they let me watch), and greased the other drivetrain components as well.

I had it done at 40k miles and rationalized that since I only will do it every 50k or so, it was worth not having to do given the intervals.

Note: To each their own as we may look at maintenance dollars differently.

Last edited:
Same as Tex, my service was approx $450 for both diffs and T-case—since I didn’t provide fluids. They used Toyota spec fluids (they let me watch), and greased the other drivetrain components as well.

I had it done at 40k miles and rationalized that since I only will do it every 50k or so, it was worth not having to do given the intervals.
Interestingly, my local shop here wants to charge over $615. I assumed that means he's probably going to use the genuine Toyota brand. I still have not received my quote despite reaching out to the dealer on three occasions. If it's over $615, I may decide to give it a crack and see how far I got. If I can't do it then I'll decide to take it in. I was watching this person's YouTube and he did a fantastic job showing how to change the transfer case fluid as well as other videos showing how to change the diff. fluid.

Yes, you're exactly right...removing the cover of the transfer case is what makes me think I should let the pro do it instead of me.

Thank you for all the responses. I'll take a look at the linked thread above.
I dont think removing the cover is a pro job.
I did all the three fluid changes without any ramp, just setting my truck on AHC High.

The front differential was the only part which I had to struggle because the leverage we have under is not great. You need a breaker bar long enough and still fit under truck without too close to floor or the engine body. Rest everything is easy if you use automatic pump and power tools like power ratchets.

I dont think removing the cover is a pro job.
I did all the three fluid changes without any ramp, just setting my truck on AHC High.

The front differential was the only part which I had to struggle because the leverage we have under is not great. You need a breaker bar long enough and still fit under truck without too close to floor or the engine body. Rest everything is easy if you use automatic pump and power tools like power ratchets.
For those stubborn bolts/nuts, would you recommend breaker bar only or can I use impact driver? I like to use power tools but at the same time, I do not want to create more work for me if that means it's going to bust the nut/bolt.

Here is what I paid at the local Toyota
dealer the last time I had it done last fall:

• Replace transfer case oil every 60k -$80
  • Replace rear differential oil every 60k - $80
  • Replace front differential oil every 60k -$80
Not too bad.

IF you're going to DIY, set yourself up for success. Some stuff I think makes it a game changer to go with other recommended products:

Not an exhaustive list - Torque wrench for sure (with extensions), aerokroil (for front diff drain and fill bolts), new crush washers all around. If you trust someone else to do it, I would definitely make sure they used whatever appropriately spec'd fluid in the tcase as that's what can be different among MY's. 75W toyota fluid is expensive, but Ravenol 75W has also been used with good results by others.

Post results if you DIY.

For those stubborn bolts/nuts, would you recommend breaker bar only or can I use impact driver? I like to use power tools but at the same time, I do not want to create more work for me if that means it's going to bust the nut/bolt.
IMO do NOT use impact tools to break the bolts on these pieces. Use penetrating oil, plastic mallet love, maybe some light heat around it, but NO impacts.

IF you're going to DIY, set yourself up for success. Some stuff I think makes it a game changer to go with other recommended products:

Not an exhaustive list - Torque wrench for sure (with extensions), aerokroil (for front diff drain and fill bolts), new crush washers all around. If you trust someone else to do it, I would definitely make sure they used whatever appropriately spec'd fluid in the tcase as that's what can be different among MY's. 75W toyota fluid is expensive, but Ravenol 75W has also been used with good results by others.

Post results if you DIY.

Just putting the list together in case I decided to tackle this myself and compare the cost of purchasing all the tools and supplies.

I already have:
  1. breaker bar
  2. two ramps if needed
  3. creeper if needed
  4. impact driver if needed
  5. torque wrench but perhaps I may need a shorter one since the space looks crowded
I will need:
Please let me know if I'm missing anything on this list. Plus, I may need the part number for crush washer, drain plugs for both T-case and diff.

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated!

Just putting the list together in case I decided to tackle this myself and compare the cost of purchasing all the tools and supplies.

I already have:
  1. breaker bar
  2. two ramps if needed
  3. creeper if needed
  4. impact driver if needed
  5. torque wrench but perhaps I may need a shorter one since the space looks crowded
I will need:
Please let me know if I'm missing anything on this list. Plus, I may need the part number for crush washer, drain plugs for both T-case and diff.

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated!
You'll want to drain and fill on a level plane. You'd need a way to get the whole truck elevated and level - think another set of ramps, jack/jack stands, lift, etc. Without this, fluid level won't be ideal. Check threads for additional part numbers for crush washers. If you decide to do it, remove fill plug first. Every time.

Just got my quote from Lexus dealer and it cost around $600 for the whole thing.

And here's my cost-comparison. I'm not sure if saving around $200 is worth putting with the struggle myself. I might have to bite the bullet and have the dealer do it.
1683906460584.png

I may have missed other items in this list to get this job done.

Take a gander at the front diff drain plug when the dealer is finished. If it looks like it's been chiseled, you may want to find another shop for next time.

Take a gander at the front diff drain plug when the dealer is finished. If it looks like it's been chiseled, you may want to find another shop for next time.
Thanks for the tip! Does most dealer use genuine Toyota/Lexus fluid? And do they always use new crush washer? ...just something I questioning my self.

Just got my quote from Lexus dealer and it cost around $600 for the whole thing.

And here's my cost-comparison. I'm not sure if saving around $200 is worth putting with the struggle myself. I might have to bite the bullet and have the dealer do it.
View attachment 3320912

I may have missed other items in this list to get this job done.
Look at this way though. The next time you do it yourself, it will be cheaper. The next time the dealer does it, it more than likely will be more expensive.

Thanks for the tip! Does most dealer use genuine Toyota/Lexus fluid? And do they always use new crush washer? ...just something I questioning my self.
A new crush washer should always be used. I can't speak to your dealer, but can say some dealers use the same stuff on both diff's AND the tcase. This is a mistake for a lot of 200s as they call for 75W in the tcase and NOT 75W-90 as in the diff's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom