How much do you like/enjoy/use the tailgate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If one purchases one $380.65 AUD = $264/shipped USD as of current date. Frankly any cheaper and I would probably question the quality of the unit myself. :).

$264 USD is the to-your-door price.

Remember all totals on KAON site are in AUD and not USD. Make sure you use a credit card that doesn't charge international currency fees and sign up for further 5% off.

*** Stainless steel domestic Orange box is $150 more with total pushing close to $600.

View attachment 2174743

Good catch, I missed the part about the price not converting from AUD to USD.

I like the barn door when camping - which is apparently now called overlanding - for a couple reasons:
- I like to mount my water tank on the rear of the roof rack, and have the hose/spigot run down to the back. I can use it behind or off to the side of the car without a raised tailgate being in the way
- I sometimes mount other things to the rack, and don't have to worry if they protrude out back, since the tailgate swings open and won't interfere with anything up top.
- I can stand on the rear bumper/tailgate area and access items on the rear of my roof rack, which can be easier sometimes than getting up on the tire for instance if parked next to something, likewise I can place/remove items from the roof from the rear with the back open, which may save some juggling around with the tailgate and stuff up top - I often strap things up top and keep the straps in the tailgate area, and go in/out the back while getting stuff sorted up top.

I also like the window in the tailgate that can pop open for easy access if I want to move around something within reach that isn't too big. This also can come in handy around town if parallel parked in a tight spot and I want to grab grocery bags out the back, etc.

The only real drawback I notice is that it is hinged on the wrong side for the US market. Really it would be better to swing open away from the curb when parked parallel, but this is a minor gripe.

The lift gate is useful as a quick awning and the tailgate as a table, but both these items can be replaced by their full size equivalents which most people have anyway. I use the barn door on the gx as a huge wind block with the strut locks and it is pretty stout. I set up my table right behind the hatch area and the barn door swings out over it. It helps a lot with cooking. Besides the vehicle itself, I can't think of a similar feature on other vehicles

The only real drawback I notice is that it is hinged on the wrong side for the US market. Really it would be better to swing open away from the curb when parked parallel, but this is a minor gripe.

I've heard this comment multiple times, and I always thought door opens towards the curb because the vehicle design was intended to serve other markets. But I realized that the Jeep Wrangler rear door opens in the same direction, and that was definitely designed for the US market. So I'm still at a loss!

1578633753690.png

I've heard this comment multiple times, and I always thought door opens towards the curb because the vehicle design was intended to serve other markets. But I realized that the Jeep Wrangler rear door opens in the same direction, and that was definitely designed for the US market. So I'm still at a loss!

View attachment 2178215
Good catch. THat Jeep barn door looks much narrower than the GX back door.

I mentioned a couple weeks ago, a custom diy wooden drop down table...

1579582123300.png

My son built the drop table and completed the aluminum texture detail between the custom table and custom cargo shelf. The alu-box was a nice Christmas gift (I'm planning to go modular alu-box vs drawer install).

Here is a second image with detail on the table hardware - the system uses pins to hold the table in stowed position.

1579582345173.png

Can you post a couple of pictures of it closed?

I'll contribute my humble table to the thread - it's a spruce board covered in a vinyl mat, mounted on a piano hinge and suspended by paracord mounted to the metal door frame through the plastic panel. All supplies came from Home Depot for a grand total of ~$50
83064533_10157507527046936_9042448390641680384_o.jpg

rM2 requested pictures of the diy table closed...

1579740181783.png

1579740249027.png

Just need a bit more spring-time to get out and use it...

Looks good! Not to high up the door when closed.
Any thoughts to being any deeper? Looks like maybe 18" deep? Could you have gone deeper? Any extra value (e.g. more space) having it deeper?
You've inspired me... I'm thinking of building one myself.

The wooden DIY table is 14.25inch deep x 43inch wide. I would need to use in the field to advise my preference for depth. It seems pretty comfortable at this size.

I am planning on doing this. When I locked the rear door open on a level spot, I noticed that the plastic door cover isn’t parallel to the ground. Are you leveling the piano hinge to the plastic/door, or the ground?

I hated the barn door until I installed a table on it a few weeks back. I picked up a bad brisket smoking habit while living in Texas during grad school. Now I can bring one with me resting in a cooler to serve at tailgates and picnics - made easier by the richlite insert on our Kaon table with a big juice groove. Other side is flat so we can just flip it over as needed. I need to work on some overhead lighting on the door.

B0204146-5F22-4D54-A7E0-30C1660A0664.jpeg

Very nice! Who made the insert for you? And I agree that the table totally transforms ones opinion on the utility of the barn door.

Very nice! Who made the insert for you? And I agree that the table totally transforms ones opinion on the utility of the barn door.
It was made by Cuttingboard.com. It’s just over $100. I used 1/4” richlite and specified bullnose edge with juice groove. I have 3/8” rubber pads underneath to space it up. You’ll have to cut off the back corners to clear the pivot bolts but that took 3 minutes with an angle grinder and polished smooth with a flap wheel sanding disk on the same tool. Or they will cut off the corners for you for $70. I can post exact dimensions if you’d like. I wedged some rubber molding at the back edge to hold it in place and it folds up perfectly and doesn’t move or rattle.

I've always thought using a bio friendly material like Delrin, or as used Richlite for an insert for the table was the best way to go!
I wouldn't ever used wood because too much odor and stains, especially if you're camping in bear country. You want to be able to keep that insert as clean as possible!

I hated the barn door until I installed a table on it a few weeks back. I picked up a bad brisket smoking habit while living in Texas during grad school. Now I can bring one with me resting in a cooler to serve at tailgates and picnics - made easier by the richlite insert on our Kaon table with a big juice groove. Other side is flat so we can just flip it over as needed. I need to work on some overhead lighting on the door.

View attachment 2623076
Kitchen lighting for the rear door here, starts @ #302

Just found out my barn door hits the spare tire mounted on my utility/kayak trailer tongue. I'll have to relocate. I didn't think I'd like the swing out, but so far, no show stoppers. Between the bumper and the door sill, there's a good 8" to stand on, or set tools on.

Reactions: r2m
I have a nice little ding in my door bc my dumb ass BIL didn't look when he swung it open with my utility trailer attached at an angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom