How much boost can 1HZ-T handle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Injector type usually gives away direction injection vs indirect injection.

seems like 30PSI is easy with the proper tune and supported mods on the stock internals

IDI plus turbo feels great from a stop light. Try towing something decently heavy on a hot summer day up a long steep hill at highway speed. FAIL. So depends how you're going to use it I guess.

TDI FTW IMHO.

What's the consensus on boost as altitude compensation? I live at 1100m and regularly travel to more than that, 1600m or more on occasion. Timing is currently at 1.06.
My 1hz has new injectors, recon'd pump, and runs smooth, starts on half a turn, but I've had to lean out the fuel in order to keep the smoke down esp climbing hills, and to keep egts reasonable. I did swap the top of my pump as well to an HAC version.
All these things have (seat of the pants and pyro) helped some, but I still think 10 pounds of boost would at least allow me to put a bit of fuel back. It always feels like I have to squeeze every bit out of her to make hwy speeds, etc. No, it's not an auto, but it does regularly carry some weight, RTT, and 33s FWIW.

Surely altitude is a valid case for safely compressing some intake air?

What's the consensus on boost as altitude compensation? I live at 1100m and regularly travel to more than that, 1600m or more on occasion. Timing is currently at 1.06.
My 1hz has new injectors, recon'd pump, and runs smooth, starts on half a turn, but I've had to lean out the fuel in order to keep the smoke down esp climbing hills, and to keep egts reasonable. I did swap the top of my pump as well to an HAC version.
All these things have (seat of the pants and pyro) helped some, but I still think 10 pounds of boost would at least allow me to put a bit of fuel back. It always feels like I have to squeeze every bit out of her to make hwy speeds, etc. No, it's not an auto, but it does regularly carry some weight, RTT, and 33s FWIW.

Surely altitude is a valid case for safely compressing some intake air?
Are you currently running a turbo?

You don't have much in the way of details about your engine set up other than that.

Turbo? AFR gauge? Boost gauge? Intercooler?

~John

Are you currently running a turbo?

You don't have much in the way of details about your engine set up other than that.

Turbo? AFR gauge? Boost gauge? Intercooler?

~John
Sorry, I thought it was evident in my post that I am n/a thus wondering about boost as further altitude compensation. No boost. No intercooler. About as stock as possible aside from the hac chimney from a later model.

I have done some more tweaking since this post and am getting a little more out of her now with less effort. (Finally got the fuel perfect for egts and no smoke).

So I have have a nicely running 1hz that is on a strict fuel diet because of the thinner air.

Perhaps this is the wrong place for my post anyways since the OP was looking at limits? I'm thinking more about minimums.

Sorry, I thought it was evident in my post that I am n/a thus wondering about boost as further altitude compensation. No boost. No intercooler. About as stock as possible aside from the hac chimney from a later model.

I have done some more tweaking since this post and am getting a little more out of her now with less effort. (Finally got the fuel perfect for egts and no smoke).

So I have have a nicely running 1hz that is on a strict fuel diet because of the thinner air.

Perhaps this is the wrong place for my post anyways since the OP was looking at limits? I'm thinking more about minimums.
boost is great, and (arguably) essential at altitude.
12 psi is the general consensus where the compressed air reaches a temperature that makes an intercooler a useful intake-air heat reduction device.
my personal opinion is every diesel needs around 18-20 psi, cool intake air charge (hence the intercooler), and a conservative fuel load (but more than the stock setting).
your foot determines how hard you push the engine at that point..... you will very rarely hit your highest boost set point

boost is great, and (arguably) essential at altitude.
12 psi is the general consensus where the compressed air reaches a temperature that makes an intercooler a useful intake-air heat reduction device.
my personal opinion is every diesel needs around 18-20 psi, cool intake air charge (hence the intercooler), and a conservative fuel load (but more than the stock setting).
your foot determines how hard you push the engine at that point..... you will very rarely hit your highest boost set point
Great feedback. If you're still in BC then you know how it is driving in the mountains, eh?

I've owned 4 IDI turbo diesels over the years, and 2 direct injection TD's. 5 were intercooled, one was not. Max boost on any of them (factory setup) was 14 psi, but usually more around 10-12 for day to day, so it makes sense that manufacturers would stick with the tried and true. I would notice a power increase when I travelled down to sea level, but I didn't notice much of a down-side from driving at altitude unless I went waaaay up into the mountains (like 1700m or so).

Now, however, with a fully analog oil burner and no compressed air, I can practically count the decrease in air pressure as I ascend, and I find myself seeking confirmation on the dash mounted altimeter. LOL. Even kept to the minimums, some boost could go a long way towards making up for thinner air, without risk of shortening its reputational longevity, couldn't it?

Great feedback. If you're still in BC then you know how it is driving in the mountains, eh?

I've owned 4 IDI turbo diesels over the years, and 2 direct injection TD's. 5 were intercooled, one was not. Max boost on any of them (factory setup) was 14 psi, but usually more around 10-12 for day to day, so it makes sense that manufacturers would stick with the tried and true. I would notice a power increase when I travelled down to sea level, but I didn't notice much of a down-side from driving at altitude unless I went waaaay up into the mountains (like 1700m or so).

Now, however, with a fully analog oil burner and no compressed air, I can practically count the decrease in air pressure as I ascend, and I find myself seeking confirmation on the dash mounted altimeter. LOL. Even kept to the minimums, some boost could go a long way towards making up for thinner air, without risk of shortening its reputational longevity, couldn't it?
id do it, but i turbo all my 4x4's, i just like tastefully modifying things.
The 3b runs much better than before but its still a slow bastard, theres no changing that, but there is little to no detrimental affect to the performance at altitude.
I believe that cooler air/more air and better controlled egt's will actually help longevity....... now the stress on the crank is another issue, but can be mitigated to some extent.

just noticed back40 imports has a hz turbo 'kit', gives you a good idea of the parts involved

if you want a stock setup
1698385482230.png

Thanks fellas.

Truth be told... I actually have all the bits to perform such blasphemy already sitting on a shelf in my garage. The only thing missing is a boost gauge and a hole in my sump... I even have a length of 3 inch dump with the right flange on it to bolt up. 😎

post pics when its installed 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom