How much bigger? (drivers seat/area) + Sequoia/GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a GX470 which has been a dream to own. However, the drivers seat/area has always been little as I am 6'3" 230. How much bigger and more comfortable is the LX570? Substantial? I am also considering the 2nd gen sequoia but not sure I want to give up the ride quality. A GX460 is also on the list bit I dont think it will be much of an improvement.

Thoughts?

You’re going to have to sit in them. I find lots of adjustment at 6 ft. But everyone is different.

I don’t have the perspective with regards to the GX, but I’m 6’4, 215 and I STAY comfy in my 570. Just about solo’d a drive from Houston, TX to Fort Collins, CO two weeks ago, and probably could have been fine for even a couple more hours. For context, I’ve got some massive spinal disk injuries in my past and long-hauling hasn’t ever been that comfortable for me.

Totally anecdotal though, I might have totally different leg/torso length etc. Good adjustment, nice ride quality, ergonomic controls… it’s at least a good start.

About six inches of the width of a GX is the fender flares. Which means that much less room in the passenger compartment.

GX was built on the prado platform, essentially to be a slightly smaller/cheaper LandCruiser in markets where that would work. The actual LandCruiser has always been the “real” vehicle for comfort, longevity, capability, etc.

Still, sit in one. But I’m betting you’ll find it has a lot more room.

I have a 21 Sequoia Platinum and my mom has a 17 LC. Her seats are more broken in than mine obviously so I can't really do a direct comparison. I will say, the Sequoia seems to have a bit more room in the front seating area as it's a bigger suv. I find the seat extremely comfortable as well (bought it for long road trips/ski trips), and it also has the ability to adjust the area below your knee (almost like a reclining chair - the front can be tilted out). I find the LC gives a more planted feeling when driving, but the Sequoia is extremely smooth with the adjustable suspension and sport/normal/comfort settings for the suspension, and you sit up higher as well if that's important. Like others, I would say to just go and test drive each and get a feel for what you want. I wanted the LC but I'm happy I went with the Sequoia for my uses.

I have a 21 Sequoia Platinum and my mom has a 17 LC. Her seats are more broken in than mine obviously so I can't really do a direct comparison. I will say, the Sequoia seems to have a bit more room in the front seating area as it's a bigger suv. I find the seat extremely comfortable as well (bought it for long road trips/ski trips), and it also has the ability to adjust the area below your knee (almost like a reclining chair - the front can be tilted out). I find the LC gives a more planted feeling when driving, but the Sequoia is extremely smooth with the adjustable suspension and sport/normal/comfort settings for the suspension, and you sit up higher as well if that's important. Like others, I would say to just go and test drive each and get a feel for what you want. I wanted the LC but I'm happy I went with the Sequoia for my uses.

Thanks! When you say "more room" are you talking about width as well? Specifically the seat. Also, how is the wind/road noise? I assume a LX would be quietest but the LC and Sequoia are pretty comparable?

I don’t have the perspective with regards to the GX, but I’m 6’4, 215 and I STAY comfy in my 570. Just about solo’d a drive from Houston, TX to Fort Collins, CO two weeks ago, and probably could have been fine for even a couple more hours. For context, I’ve got some massive spinal disk injuries in my past and long-hauling hasn’t ever been that comfortable for me.

Totally anecdotal though, I might have totally different leg/torso length etc. Good adjustment, nice ride quality, ergonomic controls… it’s at least a good start.

That's good to know. Some of my issues come with the seat width. I have muscular legs (strange admission lol) which leads me to manspread and rest them on the bolsters too much instead of the center part. How are the seats in that department?

Thanks! When you say "more room" are you talking about width as well? Specifically the seat. Also, how is the wind/road noise? I assume a LX would be quietest but the LC and Sequoia are pretty comparable?
Yeah, the Sequoia's seats are wider as well. They have a different layout/support and aren't as flat as the LC. To me, they kind of hold you in a little more. The LC is a little quieter than the Sequoia, but they also have different tires so it's not exactly a fair rating. As far as engine noise, the Sequoia is definitely a little louder, but I like hearing the V8 work so I don't mind it at all. I've heard the LX is quieter than the LC, but I personally don't really mind the road noise too much. Neither the Sequoia nor the LC are loud by any means though.

I’m not as big as you but I had a GX loaner for a few months when the dealer had an “issue”with my LX. I felt like the drive seating space was very similar, LX may have slightly more width. Now that my teens both drive I spend more time in the passenger seat, and even at 5’8” 165 lbs the passenger seating area of the LX feels small to me.

Ride of the LX is much softer, floatier, unresponsive then GX, my personal preference for ride feel is the GX hands down, but I spent years with track cars. To be honest, If I didn’t tow a 6800 lb camper I’d probably own a GX instead of a LX. My buddy has a newer sequoia and it feels huge inside compared to my LX.

I guess my point is they are slightly different, but like others have said you have to drive one to know.

Would someone do a quick measurement for me on their 200 series? How wide the seat is on the flat spot between the bolsters.

That's good to know. Some of my issues come with the seat width. I have muscular legs (strange admission lol) which leads me to manspread and rest them on the bolsters too much instead of the center part. How are the seats in that department?
Lol you’re good man. I’m a road cyclist so I spend far more time than I’d like considering other men’s legs.

I find the bolstering pretty supportive. I do the same thing and the outsides of my knees do wind up resting on door trim and center console trim pretty often. That being said, the forward adjustment range of the seat (like that roll that can extend forward and support your hamstrings) is good enough that they’re not just banging around.

Also, even if your knees are in contact with surfaces, at least in my seating position, those surfaces are contoured or finished in such a manner that you’re not just beating yourself up. Smooth surfaces, faux leather covering, nothing sharp or angular. Your mileage may vary depending on how you adjust your seat relative to the rest of the “cockpit”.

I’m 6’ 215 and the manspreading space was one of the main reasons I went with a 200. I test drove it and a gx460 back to back.

I would consider a sequoia too if I were you…the market for land cruisers and lx570’s is nuts right now. Sequoias may not be.

the other main reason I went with the lx was the ride quality. When you test drove the lx570 (if that’s what you choose), make sure to drive your gx over the same route…and perhaps cross some railroad tracks. The hydraulic suspension in an lx570 is really something special. It’s quite noticeably superior to a standard gx460 suspension.

I've owned two 460's, an LX570 and a late model 200 Series Land Cruiser. The 200's are definitely wider than the 460/150 but not by a ton, that said, you definitely notice the difference. I never felt cramped in the 460 but it's definitely more of a cozy feel. My BIL has a 2nd Gen Sequoia and I test drove quite a few and they certainly are roomier than the 200. I'd give the ride quality to the LX570 and the Sequoia, surprisingly that rear IFS in the Sequoia gets it done at or very near the same level as the LX. I like the seats in the Sequoia the best as far as comfort is concerned, but they don't appear to hold up as well as those in the Lexus vehicles we've owned. The Sequoia will have the loudest cabin of the bunch followed by the GX and LC and the LX wins hands down in this department.

We drove our LX to Florida from Texas multiple times and we always remarked about how nice and comfortable of a highway cruiser it was and the LC is no different. I have a bad lower back and hip with nerve damage from an injury so seat comfort and the ability to move and stretch in the cabin is a must and the 200 allows for plenty of that. I really liked our 460's and I was kind of sad to see the last one go but they simply don't compare to the 200 Series in any way. If seat comfort and cabin room are your biggest concerns then I think that the Sequoia is the winner but if looking for an improvement in space and better everything else you'd be hard pressed to beat the 200.

Would someone do a quick measurement for me on their 200 series? How wide the seat is on the flat spot between the bolsters.

81FC96F3-4968-4C49-ABC5-682987E1E6E0.jpeg

2D0B9794-AA3F-4664-88D7-7A24B6BDA1AF.jpeg

Honestly, the next gen Sequoia may be more like the 300 series would be if they made it here given the unified platform that it's built on. I went from a GX470 to a LC200 and found it to be a lot more comfortable. I swore I wanted a LX, but much prefer the understated LC and the reliability of a week tuned static suspension setup. I had the air ride on the GX go out on a Saturday evening while out of town and couldn't get a new bag in any reasonable amount of time. Amy are a solid choice. However, I found the GX460 to be much more cramped compared to the 470. Also, the fold flat third row ate up too much cargo space.

Here are some numbers from back when my wife and I were cross-shopping the 1-and 200 series, 4runner, gx, sequoia and colorado compared with the tacoma we had at the time. The sequoia is quite a bit wider, with a "chopped" roof. Test driving the sequoia and a land cruiser left us with an impression that the numbers back up - the sequoia is quite a bit wider inside than the 200 series.

frontseatcomp.jpg

I think one thing you have to consider though is fit and finish. The Sequoia is definitely bigger and that's fact. I wanted the bigger truck for road trips and ski trips. However, the LC build quality and fit and finish is definitely above the Sequoia. Not to say the Sequoia is poorly made - it just isn't a LC. For me, that really still bugs me, but I'm still happy with the choice I made. If you expect to keep the vehicle for awhile, definitely factor all that in as well. In addition, are you planning on doing any mods? The Sequoia doesn't have too many options for that so I'm most likely keeping it stock or getting a roof rack and some new rims/tires. If you plan on really changing it up and doing a lot of mods, you should probably consider that as well.

I think one thing you have to consider though is fit and finish. The Sequoia is definitely bigger and that's fact. I wanted the bigger truck for road trips and ski trips. However, the LC build quality and fit and finish is definitely above the Sequoia. Not to say the Sequoia is poorly made - it just isn't a LC. For me, that really still bugs me, but I'm still happy with the choice I made.

I whole heartedly agree with this and it played a large role in why we didn't purchase a Sequoia when we were seriously considering one simply to get more room. We were coming out of a 2019 LX570 and the difference in build quality was astounding. This is not to say that the Sequoia is built badly, but it's just no where near the build of the LC and definitely not the LX. To put it plainly, the Sequoia is basically a Tundra with a camper shell and rear IFS. They share the same textiles and plastics and general layout and design and are on par with one another in terms of attention to detail and build quality. If the interior of a Tundra doesn't bother you or feel cheap to you then the Sequoia will check out. The only part of the Land Cruiser that I feel shares in these same cheaper feeling textiles/plastics is the dash, it feels very similar to that of the Tundra/Sequoia.

Holy smokes you all are so incredibly helpful! Seriously, thank you!

Its sounding like the 460 isnt much of an upgrade and I'll be happy in either the 200 or the Sequoia. The main thing is reducing driving fatigue (which emcompases a lot, mainly size in the GX I think). My wife and I both have pretty demanding jobs so when we get away (road trips and hunting in the southwest) that the vehicle lets us do it in as much comfort and capability as possible. I am leaning towards the 200 series but I really like the price on the sequoias better. I'd probably factor in dynamat to the price of the Sequoia since I dislike road noise more so then caring about a cheap looking layout.
GX UT.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely fair considerations. I'd recommend finding one of each locally, even if it's not the build you are looking for and going for a test drive. It'll be harder to find the 200, but the answer should be more obvious when you drive it. For us, Toyota limited it because the Sequoia platinum doesn't have the bench seat configuration, and we need room for our three kids when the trunk is fully loaded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom