1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many quarts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mwalls54, Jan 1, 2004.

1. mwalls54

mwalls54 Cruiser Nutjob SILVER Star

just changing the oil for the first time in a year and was wondering how many quarts i should put in it. its a 74 f motor thanks
    matt

2. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

The owners manual lists 8.5 quarts. That's if you change the filter. 7.5 if you don't. I use Penzoil 10/30W. I use Mobile 1 in my other vehicles, but the synthetic (IMHO) is likely to seep through the seals on the older engines.

Ken

3. mwalls54

yep thats what it took thanks

4. 78crzr

78crzr

I use Valvoline Max life and have been very happy with it. It contains a seal swell agent as well as other goodies to help condition your seals and a little extra detergency to help keep the crap buildup out of your engine. :eek:

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

I never can get much more than 7 qts in my 2F's w/oil cooler and filter change, usally I dump in 6qts, run it for a bit, then check.....add till correct, check again a few days latter.

6. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with John, 7 quarts m/l. I overfilled once and had oil leaks that were not there before. The newer oils for "high mileage" engines have a component that swells the old dried up seals, They are actually OK, in my experience. The foreigners used real rubber instead of neoprene for seals and some chemical in those oils actually swells and livens old seals.
    Ed Long :)

7. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I have an "F" engine, and for sure it is 7.5 quarts for me with the filter change. I have tried more, and it is too much. Don't know how they came up with 8.5, but it is wrong. And you really don't want to overfill.

8. mwalls54

i ended up putting in 7.5 havnt ran it yet to get the oil in the filter because i installed a new manafold gasket and its been a pain.

9. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I think thats about what mine took. Couldn't remember, it's been a while. Thought it was better to quote you right out of the Toyota Manual.

Interested in knowing more about the valvoline Max life with the seal swell agent!

10. folsom50

folsom50

Just a small point and not really that big of a deal, but the oil filter sits upside down and drains out. Check the oil after it's sat for quite a while (over nite) and it's probably not so bad to have the oil just a tiny bit above the full mark, 'cause once it starts the filter will fill back up and the level will be lower while it runs.

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting point. My "F" engine filter actually isn't upside down, so it doesn't drain, but I see how that would make sense if it was.

12. folsom50

folsom50

I should have clarified that, my 2f has an upside down filter. Even with that though, 8.5 qts is still too much.