how many miles

Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
1
Hey I am thinking about getting an 80 landcruiser and was wondering how many miles do they usually last with good maintence and what should I look for in a used one. I tried to search for the miles but could not find anything. Thanks for the help.
 

TX_TLC

 
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
1,475
Location
Texas
I personally have seen a 94 LC with 380,000 miles. Buying mine with 131K was NOTHING....

Read the FAQ for things to look for.
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
6,045
Location
Dixie co. Florida
Saw this in a sig recently,

"We will know how long they last when the fist one wears out"

wile maybe a bit of an over statement it is not that far from the truth, most of the 80 here are in the 100-200K range and most still going strong, some of the 200+ rigs are starting to show their age some with some running great and some with problems but still running, not many around with much over 300K to compare

I would say most should be thinking about an engine rebuild at 250-350K, nip things in the bud before they get expensive,

If regular maintenance is given it will last,
 

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
 
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
6,212
Location
uhhhh...duh...Northern CA

TX_TLC

 
 
Joined
Apr 29, 2003
Messages
1,475
Location
Texas
RavenTai said:
Saw this in a sig recently,

"We will know how long they last when the fist one wears out"

wile maybe a bit of an over statement it is not that far from the truth, most of the 80 here are in the 100-200K range and most still going strong, some of the 200+ rigs are starting to show their age some with some running great and some with problems but still running, not many around with much over 300K to compare

I would say most should be thinking about an engine rebuild at 250-350K, nip things in the bud before they get expensive,

If regular maintenance is given it will last,
I wonder whose signature line you saw that in!?! ;) And I swipped it from Mr. Yota himself...
 
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
484
256k on my 93 and I just got back from a 400 mile(200 miles through the middle of nowhere on dirt blm roads and one 3'+ dep water crossing). Didn't worry about it at all. I bought it with 225k.

Trent
 

IdahoDoug

 
 
Joined
Aug 9, 2003
Messages
8,958
290,000 on my bro in law's somewhat neglected rig and it's all original.

DougM
 
Joined
Jun 25, 2003
Messages
3,731
Location
Rixeyville, VA
245k, and still going strong. I figure i will run it til it needs a rebuild and by then hopefully someone will have a turbo available, i will rebuild and turbo and be set for awhile.
 

OZCAL

 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
1,220
Location
Queensland and California
Miles/kilometers are a whole different thing down under. I routinely see 80s in pretty decent condition at used car lots, only to find 300,000 + on the odometer.

Typically in an ad for an 80 the seller will list features but not mileage. High miles down here are just not the deal killer it is in the States.
 

Onur

Moderator
GOLD Star
 
 
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
26,272
Location
NY, USA
OZCAL said:
Miles/kilometers are a whole different thing down under. I routinely see 80s in pretty decent condition at used car lots, only to find 300,000 + on the odometer.

Typically in an ad for an 80 the seller will list features but not mileage. High miles down here are just not the deal killer it is in the States.
Ozcal--

Can you explain why the differences exist between Oz/States regarding mileage?

I assume you all ride your rigs really hard--maybe harder than most soccer moms do here on the way to Starby's... :rolleyes:

Anything to do with maintenance schedule/periodicity?

Anything to do with the Oz oil/petrol/OEM materials?

This is a pretty interesting distinction between OZ and the states....

Thanks.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH
 

OZCAL

 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
1,220
Location
Queensland and California
beno said:
Ozcal--

Can you explain why the differences exist between Oz/States regarding mileage?

I assume you all ride your rigs really hard--maybe harder than most soccer moms do here on the way to Starby's... :rolleyes:

Anything to do with maintenance schedule/periodicity?

Anything to do with the Oz oil/petrol/OEM materials?

This is a pretty interesting distinction between OZ and the states....

Thanks.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

I met a guy last week with what I was sure was a 97 turbo diesel 80, and he had just put about $15,000 into it including lift, cargo drawers, fridge, rack, bull bars, winch etc. Turns out it was a 93 with 300,000 plus.

I think some of it is that they just don't mind driving distances we would fly (or not travel at all) in the states. I mean, I get on the highway ten miles from here and the sign says something like "Gympie 100 km, Rockhampton 700 km, Cairns 1600 km". It's a long way between big cities, and dual gas tanks are typical.

Ironically, regarding maintenance, I have the hardest time getting a mechanic (even a Toyota dealer when I first got down here and hadn't found an independent mechanic) to get interested in preventative maintenance. They have an "it ain't broke, why change the belts" attitude. So I'm surprised there aren't more cars on the side of the road, but there aren't. Perhaps more folk here are mechanical by nature - I know the guy that bought the 80 I decsribed above was a mechanic. Maybe they fix things on the fly, prevent overheating etc...

Now one significant difference that comes to mind is this: in the states you could only get the 80 with sunroof, power everything, lots of features. Down here they had the infamous "poverty pack" where there was nothing to break. Even my GXL, not the bottom of the line model, has no sunroof or power seats and the stereo is almost vestigial compared to that in the US model. Manual antenna no less!

I also suppose I am seeing clean bodies, interiors and glass because there are very few fender benders here and frankly, front glass gets replaced all the time and often right before a car is offered for sale. You have to replace cracked/pitted glass to transfer title. It may well be that these high mileage cars are burning oil and blowing smoke, but they look nice.

Well obviously these are just my observations; no real hard data. For what it's worth I have been told the term "station wagon" (remember mom's Country Squire?) was coined in OZ, and it describes cars/trucks that were designed to get from the city to the sheep/cattle staion many hundreds of miles out in the country on dirt roads.

David
 

OZCAL

 
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
1,220
Location
Queensland and California
Oh by the way OZ petrol stinks to high heaven.

And while people drive their trucks offroad routinely, it is more touring than rock crawling kind of stuff. For instance everybody drives up the beach. You can tell a liar because he says he never drives on the beach.
 

Onur

Moderator
GOLD Star
 
 
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
26,272
Location
NY, USA
David--

Interesting points to take into consideration.

The main reason I asked is that I sort have inherited a 'cultural' point of view that many Americans (sorry to generalize here) don't seem to have.

My father passed on to me the value of buying quality stuff and making it last a lifetime, which is probably why I've always driven Japanese cars (honda first, then Acura, now Toy.). This is important for me in all 'things' in my life--briefcase, tools, books, etc. I figure why buy into the 'planned obsolesence' nature of American consumerist life when in fact good, hand made (or quality machine made) good exist and last ten time longer than cheap knock offs and shoddy workmanship.

My father always had old cars, but they always ran great, he did the maintenance and always used good parts/tools/etc.

I've sort of become the same way. I am slowly trying to change out all of the parts inside the engine bay of this thing short of going the Bjowett route of pulling the entire engine/tranny/tcase assy. but I assume if I want this truck to last the time I put into it, I'll have to do that sometime too.

I envision this truck being mine as a DD for at least another ten years (with rebuild).

I am actually much more like the Ozzies...I would rather drive than fly if time is not a factor...and generally it isn't. I like the touring aspect that the Europeans/Ozsters have. I prefer it to rocks indeed.

Thanks for the reply.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH
 
Top Bottom