when will your 80 wear out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, this is kinda techy.....i just was curious what yall thought on this one. Do you think there will come a time where the odometer reads 280,000 miles or so and you are just like, man this thing has come to the end of it's road........or will you constantly replace piece by piece and keep it forever?

I mean, how long do you think the drivetrain and stuff will really last? I looked at my odometer today that just turned 160,000 miles and i was thinking to myself that this is the longest i have ever kept a vehicle, and was wondering in my head will there come a time when i say it's wore out and time to start on a 100.......

My 91 has 166K on it now. I had 160K on it last year. I don't think I will ever be rid of it unless I get a 100 series and give the 80 to my 3 year old in 13 years.

Most vehicles DO wear out around 150K miles or so. However, I know people with Land Cruisers who have over 250K miles with no problems. I am REALLY impressed with the overall quality Toyota put into the Land Cruiser. I am amazed at how well this vehicle is built. My Cruiser has 118K miles. It rides better than my neighbors Cherokee and his Cherokee has only 26K miles on it.

I plan on keeping my Cruiser for a LONG time.

Yeah im probably going to keep mine forever. Once it gets to that bad point I will just make it into a full time trail rig and take the doors off, roof off, and full roll cage it and put it on 38's. Thats when it is 200,000+ miles of course.

Remember

Toyota engineers state LC's are designed to run 300k and/or 25 years with normal care and maintenance. Not a vehicle for hand-wringing...build it and it will run ;)

If I don't go on trips , I put on 550 miles a year on my 80 . So I figure I'm good for what ... 545 + years !!!!

TY

i've had other cars and trucks that i swore i would keep forever. one got destroyed and the other was traded in on my 80.

better to drive it than let is sit so much.

my '91 is at 200K and runs better than when i bought it --

-- a soccer mom on a cellphone will likely be my demise --

:(

e

T Y L E R said:
If I don't go on trips , I put on 550 miles a year on my 80 . So I figure I'm good for what ... 545 + years !!!!

TY

Is that 'curb' milage, or actuall?

I'm with stuckinGA on this one, when/if it ever feels 'worn out' I'll cut it up and make it a dedicated trail rig. Maybe remove all the body work- add a cage and seat... just me and the engine baby!

With all the stuff I've put on my 80, I want at least 150k miles. After that I'll also make a full time trail rig, maybe involve my son in the process.

How Long ?

It better last at least 400 - 500,000 Miles with all of the gear it now has. I would like to recoup at least .15/mile

I think the only way it'll wear out is if my Cruiser Attention Deficit Disorder kicks in and I want to go play with another one! :D

At 264,000 miles on mine it runs like a dream. The only things that have broke on it were'nt Toyota parts. Said parts have been replaced with oem.
:)

I REALLY like the LC. I can only see myself getting rid of it for another (80 series) Land Cruiser - maybe one with less miles.

My cruiser will not be leaving any time soon. When I bought the truck I was buying it to keep for as long as I could. That is still the plan as of today and going forward. The more I work on the truck and realize what its capable of I just can't see myself going and getting another truck. Unless, I can get another 1997 Brand New w/ lockers, no running boards, no POS roof rack, and in moonglow color than no I would not be selling my truck.

I just love the cruiser. Best car/truck I have owned.

Steve

I'm at 234,000 miles. Amazing vehicle. Rock solid. head gasket has been done and has a little driveline shimmy but others wise its great. Wouldnt have any other vehicle. Not to bring up sad stories or anything but 4 girls from a neighboring high school of ours got in a car accident the other day. One died, the other 3 are in very bad shape, its a horrible story and what were they driving? a little tin can...i think things would have been a little different if they were in a tank like an 80. And an older 80 wouldnt have been any more than some '03 cavalier.

Given the lack of rust in any of mine, they will likey meet their end in an accident, or more likely when the owner looses interest. I've owned Land Cruisers for 6 years, admired them for 30 years, but who knows if at some point you start on another project entirely? The saving grace of the Land Cruiser lifestyle is that it is a hobby you can enjoy every day. It means you enjoy taking the 60 and loading it up at Costco, or driving the 80 to work. I agree with the notion that these are working vehicles and built to be used, rebuilt, and used somemore. My 40 gets very little use, but the 3-4 times per summer we go out on the Rubicon, or Dusy, justifies keeping it all year. As I said in another thread, it amazes me that I can daily drive a 20 year old car with no more issues than my wife's new car. You could make a strong argument that these are the best vehicles ever mass produced at any price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom