How many cranks to start an 88? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I might be just looking for trouble here. My 88 fj62 normally takes about 5-7 cranks to start. Is this normal?

the whole scoop: I got a good deal cause the PO had a vacuume leak at the EGR. that $2800+ and 3 mechanics couldn't fix. So they put in a new dist I had to set the timing . I cannot find the BB or mark ??? So I set it as best I could. Any thoughts? No pings. Seems to runs fine, ok power and 13-14mpg.

Should I even be concerned about the # of cranks to start?

Thanks
norville

Run it, and do not worry about it.

-Steve

I agree with the above BUT it should fire up on the 1st crank....all my 3fe's do.

on the timing, you need to jump a terminal before you set/check timing....sorry I foget which pin to which on the plug.

John H

All mine start on first crank too. Well unless it's really cold, the 60 will need about 3.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=8371;start=msg70958#msg70958 date=1070506510]
I agree with the above BUT it should fire up on the 1st crank....all my 3fe's do.

on the timing, you need to jump a terminal before you set/check timing....sorry I foget which pin to which on the plug.

John H
[/quote]

The test port is on the PS on the firewall below and to the left of the 4WD switch. Instructions are printed on the tune up tag. All the jumping does is to cut back on the advance that is automatically sent to the dist by the computer.

IF you are timing by ear there is no need to short it out. You do need to short it if using a light.

My guess would be that it slightly too far advanced. It is possible to see the BB but requires 3 hands and a small Laotion woman.

Thanks folks,

It's had full tune new dist, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and filters. I might look into changing the filters again.

I was thinking advanced to much also. So I would turn the dist which way? CCW

I've been pulling he battery terminal after each timing set is this correct?

thanks

norv

my hand(but brain not sure) wants to say conter clockwise is advance, which ever way the RPM's go up is advance....that much I'm sure of.

[quote author=norville link=board=1;threadid=8371;start=msg71093#msg71093 date=1070533913]
Thanks folks,

It's had full tune new dist, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and filters. I might look into changing the filters again.

I was thinking advanced to much also. So I would turn the dist which way? CCW

I've been pulling he battery terminal after each timing set is this correct?

thanks

norv

[/quote]

how olds the battery?
my 60 was taking 6-10 cranks, changed the plugs, battery (optima red top :D)
pull the choke all the way out and it starts right up.

didnt see you mention if the fuel pumps been checked?

No I don't know the status of the fuel pump. Some work was done back there. Just not sure what. Now that it's cold it seems it take more cranks longer.

Battery is a cood thought also. It seems strong however.

I expect this from a carb engine not an EFI. I thought maybe it's just a toyota??

Thanks for advice

norv

WHy are you pulling the batt? That will reset the codes but should have nothing to do with timing. Usually 62 pumps work 100% or 0%. I have seen a few start to "stutter" a low RPM just prior to going out so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Advanced would be turing to the right or clockwise. You have a limited range due to the design of the dist. You might need to pull it and stick it back in a bit retarted.

Outside of normal tune up and timing check out your cold start injector system. The sensor on the thermo housing may be dirty or have a vac leak. You can also test and clean the cold start injector itself.

Unless it get worse I would ignore it. I run way advanced on my 3FE so i need 6-8 cranks for it to go.

lollyowltvspot.gif

"Lets find out. One, two-HOO, three (*crunch*). Three."

dd113/poser sounds good to me. I'm just gunna run it. Too cold to mess around with it now.

Popping the dist is how I got the rig. The dist was one tooth off. I have plenty of adjustment just not sure where to put it. At the moment I'm turning a 1/4" clockwise every 100 miles or so and it runs stronger each time.

I thought I needed to reset the timing curve for the comp? Pull the batt cable?

The biggest relief is it does it to other rigs.

thanks

norv

[quote author=dd113 link=board=1;threadid=8371;start=msg71186#msg71186 date=1070556437]
Advanced would be turing to the right or clockwise. You have a limited range due to the design of the dist. You might need to pull it and stick it back in a bit retarted.

[/quote]

So, Dave, is the 3FE opposite the F engine? You turn clockwise to retard the F engine spark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom