How long to replace head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I understand about going the cheap route but it would really suck if this thing bites you back, I would still highly recommend you get it pressure tested and have them measured the guides for wear a new stem seal is useless if the guides is shot. Just my 2 cents.

Update, My son and his friend spent 8 hours so far, probably a fair amount of standing around. But they have the exhaust and intake off, today they hope to get the head off. Looking at intake valves through the ports, it is shocking how dirty they are from the EGR, but the ones on #6 look shiny and new. I think we know where the head gasket likely failed. EGR is NOT going back on. Everything went smooth, two bolts broke on the exhaust flange. Overall good progress. He has been taking notes as it comes apart, hopefully he will be able to put it back together.

My time logs show 52 hours related to the HG replacement on my '97. I included peripheral work in that total including hours of pressure washing, component cleaning, oil leak fixing, power steering pump rebuild, P0401 troubleshooting/resolution, heater/coolant line replacements, vac line replacements, etc. etc. I tried to cover all of the "while I'm in there" tasks that I could think of or that I read about on mud. If I just replaced the HG with no extra work at all I'm sure it would be a good bit less than half the work time that I logged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom