How High Can A Guy Raise The DS Engine Mount For Exhaust Manifold Replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Making good progress on DS exhaust manifold replacement. 3 of 8 nuts off so far. Well, nut and studs--they are all coming out together. I'm wondering how high I can raise the engine with only the DS mount loose? Thoughts? I'd say I'm about 1.5" so far. And, I'm gonna lose that fingernail. She's really swollen. Got that nut off though so I'll take it.

20201014_193902669_iOS.jpg
20201014_200825147_iOS.jpg
20201014_203503381_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
So an inch and a half. Gotcha. I'd say I'm close to that. I'll cut some scrap and stick one in there.

Well, got 'er off. Not too bad, all things considered. This isnt't my DD so I took my time working on and off on it today. All of the studs came out with the nuts so I'll be ordering those up. Classic crack on #1. I hope the install is slightly easier than the removal!

20201015_014140426_iOS.jpg
20201015_014142327_iOS.jpg
20201015_014456678_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. Are you replacing it with a stock unit or are you upgrading?

Oh, probably just stock. I'm not convinced yet to go with DTH.

Ha! One of my favorite GIFs.

Eh. Too many stories of it not holding. I actually weld too.

Question. Since all of my studs came out of the head, do I just install my new studs until they bottom out?

Question. Since all of my studs came out of the head, do I just install my new studs until they bottom out?
Yes. Then, after you get the new gaskets and manifolds on, torque the nuts to 32 ft-lbf...if you can get a torque wrench in there. With a combo of extensions and wobble joints, I was able to get a torque wrench on 7 of the drivers side nuts and all 8 of the passenger side nuts, but YMMV.

I went through a similar search for space last year replacing all 3 motor mounts. You can loosen the rear mount for another inch or so if needed.

Anybody know the socket type to use for the studs?

Looks like Female Torx E10. I've already got one I think.

Wouldn't exhaust/muffler putty cover that crack and save you all the headache?

Wouldn't exhaust/muffler putty cover that crack and save you all the headache?
Wouldn't last long, if at all. Even welding the manifold crack is often an ephemeral fix...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom