How good is your gas mileage?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always felt like I had plenty of gas...despite...um...crappy...MPG.

Then these happened.
Now even after filling up on...um...fuel (tacos)?
No gas!!

Do NOT put these in your Cruiser! :eek:
Your LC’s gas goes away quickly enough on its own!
6A78924A-01C3-4578-92A1-809D4BD33E61.jpeg

Last edited:
BudBuilt skids also make you aerodynamic and increase mpg along with protection

20191009_115403.jpg

What tires? P rated I assume? I never get better than 14 city & I drive like an old lady on OEM Dunlops. 17-18 hwy although that’s at 80mph. Getting 14.4 combined with mostly city driving. Stock truck in flat Florida.

Tires are Cooper Discovery H/T Plus. They came with the vehicle when I purchased it in June 2019. On a side note, I give the tires a 3 out of 10 for trail running and a 3 for slush, snow, rain. The noise factor is about a 7 out of 10. The next set will be the Yokohama Geloander A/T G015. Since owing the rig, I've put about 5k miles on it. Based on a casual observation, the Cooper tires have worn faster than expected.

Back to the mpg discussion: Consider driving on the highway no more than 70mph. My hunch is you will experience much better gas mileage. When I drive faster than 70, my mpg drops.

Last month did Austin TX to Lake of Ozarks MO 1600 round trip and according to trip computer was at 17.2. That was sustained 75+ running stock 2016.

I drove from San Francisco to Charlotte, NC a few weeks ago in a stock '14, very little luggage and averaged about 18-19.

IMG_7069 2.JPG

I see it as an unexpected surprise. No one buys it expecting anything better than 15/16mpg. But then when you see close to 20 it makes you feel even better about the purchase.

I know when I started seeing those numbers I was blown away! I didn't think I'd ever see any better than 17 on road trips, and boy does it encourage me even more to use the 200 instead of the daily.

Yeah...
We did a fishing trip from San Francisco to Modoc County (uphill much of the way past Redding) and got about 15mpg on the way Up. On the way Down, 20mpg. The trick is to find routes that are all downhill. Better Mileage!
BTW, I demoed the 100 down my favorite s***e-road, Squaw Valley Road, out of McCloud, down, down down in to the McCloud River canyon, it's basically all potato sized rocks with boulders sprinkled every few feet. The ideal road! The Big Girl never blinked, just lumbered down, and back up later the next day. As good or better than my '08 FJ Cruiser on this FavoriteBadRoad.

I’ve wondered about that & how that might be helping.

Definitely smooths the air path underneath...
I was just being a smart@$$ I regularly see 19-20mpg if I'm just doing highway driving. I am curious though if it really does help by smoothing the airflow underneath

I was just being a smart@$$ I regularly see 19-20mpg if I'm just doing highway driving. I am curious though if it really does help by smoothing the airflow underneath

Ha! :)
Ya... Not suggesting it’s a big impact...
...but a full underbody set does remove some flow catches.

Did you see an increase with BB skids?

I think he was kidding about that.
My comment after that was just wondering what the effect of having a smoother undercarriage might on wind resistance under there... :meh: In my mind, everything factors in…even if just a wee bit... Usually with a negative impact,

When driving upward on ascents, weight has to be a thing. It’s fascinating though bc In my experience on FLAT highways, weight had remarkably minimal impact on my mpg compared to wind resistance caused by bull bars, and rear bumpers, tire swing-outs, etc.

But meh... at this point it’s tiddly-winks.

Did you see an increase with BB skids?
Factoring in my tired factory suspension, sitting a tad bit lower has to help too haha! But as @Markuson said, no changes on flat highways. Haven't had to deal with steep grades where I drive yet

I have no idea how you guys are getting anything above 14 mpg. Much kuddos. I guess i have a lead foot driving in Austin. haha

Looks like I've lost the enjoyment of great gas mileage... km3s and lift will getcha

20200215_071214.jpg

Maybe, it’s because of your tire pressure issue 😂
1 of the sensors is acting up... bought cheap ones off Amazon and apparently one of them doesn't like working in the cold weather

I always get a chuckle out of the mileage threads. I bought my land cruiser for the fuel efficiency said no one ever. I've never seen better than 19 on a mostly flat stretch of open hwy so your doing pretty darn good @Itsky

I am pretty sure we can all agree to the fact that most of us don't really care about the cost of gas, but it is suprisingly comical to see what mileage these behemoths can pull off, especially with long trips and undersized tanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom