How expensive is the 80 to drive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, it's been almost exactly a year since I purchased my 80. It had 199k miles when I bought it and it has 110k miles today. 10k miles a year - very average. I've logged all the fuel stops and all the maintenance. Granted, I installed a pretty trick suspensions with a set of 35's on beadlocks, but most of this is stuff that needed to be done - like emissions, EGR, front axle, oil leaks, etc..

For those wondering how expensive it is to buy an old truck and resurrect it to its glory, this might be valuable insight. It's also the likely the reason those of us with "car problems" stand on the brink of divorce should our wives ever learn the truth...

IMG_8981.PNG

Something is wonky in how it calculated city vs hwy fuel economy. Go ahead and reverse the numbers.

It's OK - didn't work for Ferris Bueller (or Cameron) either.

What the deuce?? Can't we get a NSFW warning on the thread title?? You know, Not Safe For Wife

:eek:

I feel like this should level out now that you've done all of these items. There is no way I am going to call the 80 Series reliable if I can expect to re-do all of the stuff I have already done every few thousand miles. I am thinking more like 100,000 before I should have to worry about the motor and all of the mechanical parts I have replaced.

That said, I am in for $10,000 with the new tires included. Shouldn't be much left to fix beyond things that would be nice. Probably another $2000 to get all that done too.

To accurately calculate it, consider the purchase price, depreciation (or appreciation as a negative) and, cost to achieve dependable roadworthiness, then spread it across the expected life of the vehicle. Add the annual cost of necessary maintenance per year. After that, begin adding in the the variable costs of operation (fuel etc).

To accurately calculate it, consider the purchase price, depreciation (or appreciation as a negative) and, cost to achieve dependable roadworthiness, then spread it across the expected life of the vehicle. Add the annual cost of necessary maintenance per year. After that, begin adding in the the variable costs of operation (fuel etc).
Are you going to run those numbers?

I purchased my 92 new when I was 16. My life cycle cost including everything EXCEPT fuel and insurance is just over $60k. I've kept track of just about everything over the years. Maybe I missed a set of wiper blades or bulbs or something but not much. $60k divided by 302 months equals $198/month. I would say that is a pretty good life cycle cost.

I've probably spent another $40k on fuel. 247k miles divided by 12 equals 20,583 gallons times $2 per gallon.

I purchased my 92 new when I was 16. My life cycle cost including everything EXCEPT fuel and insurance is just over $60k. I've kept track of just about everything over the years. Maybe I missed a set of wiper blades or bulbs or something but not much. $60k divided by 302 months equals $198/month. I would say that is a pretty good life cycle cost.

I've probably spent another $40k on fuel. 247k miles divided by 12 equals 20,583 gallons times $2 per gallon.
What can you really get for 10-12K these days anyway? Maybe some Kia roller skate. If you are handy and want a good vehicle that will last you a very long time, then this is the right truck. These trucks are 20 years old now, minimum. They all need work, but they were designed to be worked on. I am not some super genius, yet I was able to take apart the entire top end of the motor, rebuild the front axle, install a whole new braking system, work through a couple of weird electrical gremlins, and a myriad of other, smaller tasks.

Between this website, the FSM and all of the other help available, if you can get past the gas mileage, which evens out when compared to a much higher car payment, an 80 is for you.

Is this a real thread?

Seriously, if you have to add up your miles/dollar.....

you really shouldn't be driving an 80.

I drive mine everyday (35's, 3 in lift, 500lbs of excess stuff, blah, blah)and I measure my MPG by SMILES PER GALLON.

COMMON, grow some.

Autos in general are a waste of $. But too each there own. I have friends that have 20k in vinyl records or 40k in music equipment and so on. At least our hobby gets us out in nature to see some amazing places, and meet great new friends along the way. The Toyota community is strong!

Autos in general are a waste of $. But too each there own. I have friends that have 20k in vinyl records or 40k in music equipment and so on. At least our hobby gets us out in nature to see some amazing places, and meet great new friends along the way. The Toyota community is strong!

Agreed. Land Cruisers are a helluva lot cooler than action figures or comic books!

Plus it is utilitarian for when the SHTF!

Our rigs aren't cheap to buy and maintain. The key for me accepting reality of owning one was knowing what I was getting into before I bought my first 80. My uncle knows cruisers more than he knows his wife, so I had a free wrench schooling there.

You gotta loose something to gain something.

My rig takes me anywhere I want to go and gives me a grin on my face so I don't count anymore... I'm not rich either but she does make me happy so that's ok.

Besides, I get free gas when I'm in town, but when I go out on an adventure, I fill up all the cans I need before I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom